Comparing the 2016 roster with the 2017 roster.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Comparing the 2016 roster with the 2017 roster....

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I just have to wonder, where did we get better at? I know we can't judge the draft class after two games and I know that McMillan got hurt and he's out for the year. And yes I'm aware of Timmons leaving the team. I like that we got Hayes and I like the fact we drafted a DE,LB and a Corner. We needed help on all 3 positions. Come to think of, we needed help in a lot of positions but lets take a look at both rosters. Did we get better, worst or stayed the same?

2016 2017
QB-Tannehill Cutler
RB-Ajayi Ajayi
WR-Parker Parker
WR-Landry Landry
WR-Stills Stills
TE-Simms Thomas
LT-Albert Tunsil
LG-Tunsil Steen
C-Pouncey Pouncey
RG-Bushrod Bushrod
RT-James James

DE-Wake Wake
DT-Suh Suh
DT-Phillips Phillips/Godchaux
DE-Branch Branch
LB-Misi Allen
LB-Alonso Hull
LB-Jenkins Alonso
C-Maxwell Maxwell
C-Lippett Howard
S-Jones Jones
S-AKO(SP?) Allen

ok, I believe Tannehill gives us more than Cutler. There's been several plays already where Cutler got rid of the ball but Tannehill would have run for a first down. It's only two games of course so we'll see what happens
RB and the 3 WR's are the same. The o-line has ONE different guy in there, Steen instead of Albert. How is that supposed to be better?
TE? Simms was a good blocker and could catch thought not much of a real seam guy. Thomas looks fat to me and not in great shape and pretty slow really.

The D-line is pretty much the same but I like the fact they added Hayes and the two rookie DT's have done well. The run defense seems a little better but the pass defense...........
I like Chase Allen but did he need an extra year before he could be a starter? I can't blame the FO on him starting as the plan was for Timmons to start. I do blame them for handing him a contract where almost all of it is GTM
Alonso at weak vs Jenkins? he should at least moke a few play when Jenkins didn't make any plays at all and Hull in the middle, lets just say I really wish the rookie hadn't gotten hurt.
Maxwell should be gone after this year and Howard? He could turn out to be a good corner but a real #1? I haven't seen the potential for that yet but it's only his 2nd year

Jones don't seem the same, sorry but he doesn't. I'm hoping he'll get back to form but so far he hasn't and Allen should not be our starting FS.

At the end of the day this roster is not much different from the team that beat ONE team last year with a winning record so maybe we shouldn't be expecting so much. This is just my opinion of course and I'm ok if your opinions are different than mine. It's really hurting us that we're not getting anything from our 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks tho we're getting something from the two DT's. At this point the way I see it we'll be looking at the same holes again in the off season.

Ozzy rules!!

we got hard schedule this yr. with thill17 or cutler6...our defense is ?? ol is same?

I think the big difference early on is Tannehill. The expectation was that he would take off where he left off last season. Cutler may take longer than expected to adapt to new players etc.

Plus, Miami's main weakness appears to be no better. Been watching the NFL for nearly 50 years and one thing has remained the same. You win in the trenches. The Dolphins guards certainly didn't match up against the Jets physical front.

Well, TJ McDonald was signed to be our FS, but he still has 6 games to go from that suspension.
Who know how well Larsen could of been at guard, but probably better than what we saw from Davis/Steen.

Injuries hit this team a good amount, some at spots we where weak at. Linebacker we lost Misi(no surprise), R. McMillian, and Timmons went Awol. Obivously we were weak at O-Line, so losing Larsen was bigger than it should of been.
We then lost Lippett for the year, whiched bumped Maxwell/Howard to starting full time.
Then of course Tannehill, who had years of experience with the receivers, and their timing/ strengths/weaknesses.

Every team faces injuries, so most injuries there should be no real excuse, minus the Quarterback spot, due to how hard it is to fine a good one, let alone a great one.

No doubt the injuries have not help us at all and neither did Irma. It's just so far the only thing we've done better this year is our run defense which hasn't matter much since our pass defense has suck so much. Other than that we have not done anything better than last year

Ozzy rules!!

Red= Worse Blue=Better Aqua=Same

2016 2017
QB-Tannehill Cutler
RB-Ajayi Ajayi
WR-Parker Parker (This is a better/ healthier version)
WR-Landry Landry
WR-Stills Stills
TE-Simms Thomas (Simms could catch passes and block, Thomas not so much)
LT-Albert Tunsil (both Tunsil and Steen will need time to get better in new positions)
LG-Tunsil Steen
C-Pouncey Pouncey (For now, healthier then he was at any time last year)
RG-Bushrod Bushrod
RT-James James

DE-Wake Wake
DT-Suh Suh
DE-Branch Branch
LB-Misi Allen
LB-Alonso Hull (When Timmons start, it will hopefully be better)
LB-Jenkins Alonso
C-Maxwell Maxwell
C-Lippett Howard
S-Jones Jones (Jones missed most of last year, so we are better now)
S-AKO(SP?) Allen (We might be worse with Allen for first 8 weeks, but we then will be better after that with McDonald)

Judging by the hype on here after free agency and the draft you would think we were on our way to a dynasty. Still believe this team is slightly better, minus the qb situation.

Is he? I guess that's like comparing trash to garbage.

I am 100% disappointed in Gase's utilization of the TE position even with the Tight Ends Miami has.
For what Miami was paying Sims, he was good. Not Sims’ fault Chicago is overpaying him.

For what Miami was paying Sims, he was good. Not Sims’ fault Chicago is overpaying him.

No but it is his fault that he sucks also. Miami needs to draft a TE and stop this nickel and dime **** they have been doing the past 10+ years. McMichael had some good years, Clay had a couple and Fasano had two good years (and by good year I mean 400+ yards and over 4 TD catches). Other than that Miami has been a devoid at the TE position. Guys like Sims and even Fasano while undervalued are just lunch pal guys, they will come in help your running game and catch a couple of first downs. They are never going to be 500+ yards, 5+ Td and 10 yards a catch guys.

I was highly disappointed Miami didn't go after a guy like Jared Cook who sadly is better than anyone we've had on the team in years. I was hoping Cameron could be that guy but his mellon was more like squash. With Thomas it is strictly a long shot gamble, they were hoping he would be the guy Denver had but he looks slow and old on the field and my hopes from him are zero at this point. Fasano is here to block and isn't a passing threat and never has been but Sims offers almost nothing over any of those guys and in fact at this point I'd love to have Charles Clay back and my guess is Gase would too.

Red= Worse Blue=Better Aqua=Same

2016 2017
QB-Tannehill Cutler
RB-Ajayi Ajayi
WR-Parker Parker (This is a better/ healthier version)
WR-Landry Landry
WR-Stills Stills
TE-Simms Thomas (Simms could catch passes and block, Thomas not so much)
LT-Albert Tunsil (both Tunsil and Steen will need time to get better in new positions)
LG-Tunsil Steen
C-Pouncey Pouncey (For now, healthier then he was at any time last year)
RG-Bushrod Bushrod
RT-James James

DE-Wake Wake
DT-Suh Suh
DE-Branch Branch
LB-Misi Allen
LB-Alonso Hull (When Timmons start, it will hopefully be better)
LB-Jenkins Alonso
C-Maxwell Maxwell
C-Lippett Howard
S-Jones Jones (Jones missed most of last year, so we are better now)
S-AKO(SP?) Allen (We might be worse with Allen for first 8 weeks, but we then will be better after that with McDonald)
I would have been happy with the progress and anticipated improvements if the Tannehill, McMillian, Lippett and Larsen injuries don't happen. Of course, injuries do happen in football.

Back
Top Bottom