Contracts explode in 2014?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Contracts explode in 2014??

Would we rather they set on the cash and did nothing ?

These guys have been very good bean counters to this point and deserve the benefit of doubt in financial matters.

Spend like a drunkin sailor, make at run at the division and let the accountants do what accountants do.

in 2014 the following Dolphins are free agents: Starks, Soliai, Incognito, Jerry, Bess, Misi, Clemons, Carrol and Jones. I see 2-3 guys who would get another contract with Miami Plus, Marshall and Patterson could be cut.

Stuff about the cap is over blown right now. Ireland and Capote worked hard put Miami in great position this year, no reason to think it can't continue.
not to mention, next year, we'll still have 6-8 players on the team from this draft, and another 6-8 players from next years draft. Thats 16 positions on the team filled with very low cap guys. 2014 is not a year we should be worried about. i'm not worried about the cap until 2016 at this point, that's when we have 6 players that count for 50m of the cap.

this FA period and draft is for this year and next year ... i wouldn't expect much next year in FA.

we will have some players fall off next year (read either Starks or Soliai, etc ...)

our draft this year will address some of that ... then next years draft as well.

this FA period was our chance to 'set the table' as it were ....

Good teams never seem to have cap space but they know how to redo contracts and manipulate the system .

i think Jeff's finally figured this out.

0d5242e486b244d78eaae257e24c5642_zpse64d-1.gif

It's just numbers. No worries mate.:D

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless we hand out another couple big guaranteed deals.

A big key provision added to the new CBA was the ability to carry over unused cap space from the previous year. If we keep the cap numbers on the deals small this year, then we can use the space we saved for next year, which will help absorb the massive increases for Wallace, Hartline, and Ellerbe next year.

I'd also be shocked if we kept Starks passed this year at anywhere close to the 8.5M that he's getting this year. Either we'll move on, or hopefully if he has a good year, then we sign him to a longer deal that shaves off a couple of million in the first couple of years in the contract.

Dolphins had a ton of cap space before these signings and remember that we can carry unused cap space over. Now, it is possible that the team is going to keep spending to the point of a big problem, but the fact that we balked at what Keller wanted leads me to believe that this won't be the case. We can stay in very, very good cap shape if we restrict our remaining offseason spending to a tackle and bargain bin contracts. Remember that we can still cut Dimitri Patterson with no cap hit for a big chunk of coin, and axing Dan Carpenter frees up a bunch of money, too.

Don't panic about the cap yet, our only big splurge was Mike Wallace. The linebacker moves actually save us a little bit of money.

Now, if we go out there and hand out another 30 million in guaranteed money to FAs, that's when you want to panic.

the linebacker moves basically only save u money this year soon Ellerbee will be having same cap hit as Dansby.

define soon. not 2013. not 2014, I guess 2 years away is soon.

Well next year its almost 8 million
follwing year its 9.8 million
these are not small cap hits esp for a guy who hasnt even started a full season
same with wheeler this year its real low next year its 6.4 million

So next year Ellerbee's cap hit will be the same we cut Dansby for this year plus dead cap

So We will be paying the two players that we replace the so called overpriced players the same exact amount basically that we cut these guys for this year
plus 3 million dead cap for Dansby and 1.6 million for Burnett next season. So in reality we are not saving a dollar in 2014 by signing these guys and in some cases like Burnett paying more. People keep talking about all this money we are saving and thats not really accurate . Yes this season we will have more cap space because we structured low first year salaries and in some cases too low. In fact next season Mike Wallace will make 17 million cap hit and Hartline makes 6.2

all contracts are usually low first year dont see whats so amazing about structuring these contracts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dolphins had a ton of cap space before these signings and remember that we can carry unused cap space over. Now, it is possible that the team is going to keep spending to the point of a big problem, but the fact that we balked at what Keller wanted leads me to believe that this won't be the case. We can stay in very, very good cap shape if we restrict our remaining offseason spending to a tackle and bargain bin contracts. Remember that we can still cut Dimitri Patterson with no cap hit for a big chunk of coin, and axing Dan Carpenter frees up a bunch of money, too.

Don't panic about the cap yet, our only big splurge was Mike Wallace. The linebacker moves actually save us a little bit of money.

Now, if we go out there and hand out another 30 million in guaranteed money to FAs, that's when you want to panic.

CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG BUT i dont think yo can carry money over from one year to another anymore, and what ive read is that teams have to spend between 85-95 % of your cap from year to year .

I think the the Wallace, Hartline, Ellerbe and Wheeler deals are loaded in 2014 to get some of the cap pain out of the way in time for a potential Tannehill extension in 2015.

This is also Jeff Ireland's last year in his contract. You have to think either this year works out and Jeff gets an extension and he gets to worry about the cap next year, or he is done in miami and could give a crap about our cap situation.

I am surprised the contracts were not more front heavy because we do have the money this year. What is the plan? We have to spend the money.

I think the the Wallace, Hartline, Ellerbe and Wheeler deals are loaded in 2014 to get some of the cap pain out of the way in time for a potential Tannehill extension in 2015.

should have took on more cap this year since we had the space. Ellerbee's deal is worse in 2015 though approaching 10 million.

Also, a new TV deal is coming around 2015. The cap should jump. Not worried.

Back
Top Bottom