Cordarrelle Patterson declares for draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cordarrelle Patterson declares for draft

uk_dolfan

Proud Tua Cultist
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Patterson has officially declared for the NFL. From what I have seen (just a few games plus highlights) I love this guy, probably more than Allen at this point. Deep threat, fast and strong whats not to like? Needs a lot of work with his route running but I would love to see us draft this guy.

In my dream draft we would pick up Patterson and Robert Woods.... now that would be the foundation for a top offense!

I would go completely nuts if we pick this guy up :lol:

[video=youtube_share;vx6pGFvDqt0]http://youtu.be/vx6pGFvDqt0[/video]

RT and our offense could go in beast mode with this type of playmaker.

Trade.down, for a extra second or third, draft him around tenty first rd. Drooling right mow.

He has vision like a running back. This kid is YAC machine, even at the NFL level. Some of that dancing will get him killed on Sundays but you can't teach that type of shake and bake. If he's a legit 6'3" and 200+ pounds then he's pretty special to have that size and moves like that.

When it's all said and done I bet he's the first WR taken. The kid's potential just reached out from my computer screen, grabbed me by the throat, and pimp slapped me.

I'd rather have Allen. Allen is the best route runner in the draft and has much better hands than this guy.

I like Allen as well, but I think Patterson has better hands than Allen. Allen lacks strength, and while he has an excellent wingspan, frame, and leaping ability, he struggles to come down with the ball in traffic because he lacks strength. Physical CB's and headhunter safeties will be a real problem for Allen, and he needs to add significant muscle.

Patterson doesn't have the wingspan, size or leaping ability that Allen does, but already has an NFL body. He reminds me of a 6'2 Mark Duper. Patterson may not have Duper's elite speed, but he is fast and one of the most explosive guys in the draft. He is super-fluid, strong enough and thick enough to get free from press coverage and withstand the punishment from safeties. He needs to work on his route-running, but man, his RAC is impressive. He has very good change of direction for a high-cut big receiver, his vision is excellent, he sets up his cutbacks and blocks like a RB, and he has patience when running with the ball. If our WR corps develops into the blocking WR's Philbin and Sherman want, then a guy like Patterson is going to score a lot of TD's and generate chunk yardage nearly every game. He may not be a great red zone threat, but he stretches the field and when he refines his game he can be one of the leading WCO receivers in the NFL. I think we're not the only draft afficianados drooling at Cordarrelle Patterson. The only question is which GM's are willing to wait for him to develop?

As I watched all of his games I came to appreciate him more. Unrefined but extremely talented. Destined for great things, IMO.

A lot more physical than I initially thought. The more games you watch and especially if you make sure to pay attention to him on run plays and whatnot, the more you realize he's got an attitude on him. Not a ball of butcher knives and judo chops like Stedman Bailey but definitely spicy. And his size and strength do him service. I remember on one play against Georgia he runs the slant and a linebacker fans out to him right off the snap to "cover" him (which in linebacker-ese evidently meant just running straight into him and tackling him), Patterson didn't see him quickly enough to avoid him and so they collide. The linebacker slinks to the turf like a guy that just ran into a tree trunk at high speed, and Patterson is still standing, not even off balance. There's more subtle signs of that size and strength when you watch a bunch of the games.

Also purely faster than I initially thought. Cutting ability, change of direction, agility and burst are evident all over the place when watching him. He's like Tavon Austin only 7 inches taller. But that doesn't mean a guy is purely fast. On a lot of his straightaways there are guys running at least as fast as him on the field and not all of them are fast players. But then looking at it, a lot of those straightaways happen after multiple cuts. The human body isn't made to de-accelerate and then re-accelerate in the same run, you really can't recover all your speed. As I watched a bunch more games I found instances of him running verticals with guys like Branden Smith and Jaylen Watkins in coverage. Those guys run in the very low 4.4's. Both of them got on the hoof, pumping their arms, accelerating as much as they can to try and close on Patterson as he was looking up for the ball...and nada. Couldn't close any ground. Body language showed they were giving it all and just couldn't run fast enough. That told me what I needed to know on the pure speed and vertical threat front.

The tendency to body catch is there but not as bad as many fear. He's mostly using his body to shield the defender away from the catch which is pretty smart. When the situation is appropriate, he shows perfect willingness to stick his arms out and pluck the ball with his hands. He's not body catching because of a lack of confidence in his hands, IMO. I didn't like how much body catching Golden Tate did coming out and thought he'd essentially be redshirting his rookie year in the NFL while he irons it out. He seems to be no worse for the wear. Nor Roddy White.

The open field running and cutting were always evident, and highly impressive, and I often wondered aloud if weaknesses in physicality and body catching will even matter since he's so damn gifted with the ball in his hands. But those weaknesses weren't what I thought they were, and the more I research into his personality the more convincing he seems as a prospect.

A lot more physical than I initially thought. The more games you watch and especially if you make sure to pay attention to him on run plays and whatnot, the more you realize he's got an attitude on him. Not a ball of butcher knives and judo chops like Stedman Bailey but definitely spicy. And his size and strength do him service. I remember on one play against Georgia he runs the slant and a linebacker fans out to him right off the snap to "cover" him (which in linebacker-ese evidently meant just running straight into him and tackling him), Patterson didn't see him quickly enough to avoid him and so they collide. The linebacker slinks to the turf like a guy that just ran into a tree trunk at high speed, and Patterson is still standing, not even off balance. There's more subtle signs of that size and strength when you watch a bunch of the games.

Also purely faster than I initially thought. Cutting ability, change of direction, agility and burst are evident all over the place when watching him. He's like Tavon Austin only 7 inches taller. But that doesn't mean a guy is purely fast. On a lot of his straightaways there are guys running at least as fast as him on the field and not all of them are fast players. But then looking at it, a lot of those straightaways happen after multiple cuts. The human body isn't made to de-accelerate and then re-accelerate in the same run, you really can't recover all your speed. As I watched a bunch more games I found instances of him running verticals with guys like Branden Smith and Jaylen Watkins in coverage. Those guys run in the very low 4.4's. Both of them got on the hoof, pumping their arms, accelerating as much as they can to try and close on Patterson as he was looking up for the ball...and nada. Couldn't close any ground. Body language showed they were giving it all and just couldn't run fast enough. That told me what I needed to know on the pure speed and vertical threat front.

The tendency to body catch is there but not as bad as many fear. He's mostly using his body to shield the defender away from the catch which is pretty smart. When the situation is appropriate, he shows perfect willingness to stick his arms out and pluck the ball with his hands. He's not body catching because of a lack of confidence in his hands, IMO. I didn't like how much body catching Golden Tate did coming out and thought he'd essentially be redshirting his rookie year in the NFL while he irons it out. He seems to be no worse for the wear. Nor Roddy White.

The open field running and cutting were always evident, and highly impressive, and I often wondered aloud if weaknesses in physicality and body catching will even matter since he's so damn gifted with the ball in his hands. But those weaknesses weren't what I thought they were, and the more I research into his personality the more convincing he seems as a prospect.
I would love to get this guy. It's too bad the first round is only for OL and DTs.

Nice, now we got Ck on board with the pick. Let's email Ireland a youtube video of Patterson making Mississippi State's D and Jonathan Banks look horrendous :lol:

I don't care how raw this kid is with his routes. He's like TY Hilton in space and like Tavon Austin in traffic.

Having waited weeks for Gaffney to start, only to see him cut, a whole season for Egnew, most of the season for Matthews, I am fine waiting a few months of the regular season for Patterson to emerge. If we get what I think we get with him, hell I'll wait the whole first season for him to pick up the offense before he starts.

Get 1 and move back up and get the other 1..................

I absolutely love Patterson. He can hurt you as a WR, Returner and by taking hand offs on Reverses. I made a post about him, after the 1st game of the College Football season against NC State. He has moves like a RB and he's built alot like Atlanta's, Roddy White in his lower body. I wouldn't complain, IF somehow, Miami drafts him, he has alot of upside similar to Tannehill, when he was coming out of Texas A&M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom