Cordarrelle Patterson declares for draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by uk_dolfan, Jan 9, 2013.

1. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Patterson has officially declared for the NFL. From what I have seen (just a few games plus highlights) I love this guy, probably more than Allen at this point. Deep threat, fast and strong whats not to like? Needs a lot of work with his route running but I would love to see us draft this guy.

In my dream draft we would pick up Patterson and Robert Woods.... now that would be the foundation for a top offense!

2. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

I would go completely nuts if we pick this guy up :lol:

[video=youtube_share;vx6pGFvDqt0]http://youtu.be/vx6pGFvDqt0[/video]

RT and our offense could go in beast mode with this type of playmaker.

3. Manning2012

Manning2012 Active Member

Trade.down, for a extra second or third, draft him around tenty first rd. Drooling right mow.

4. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

He has vision like a running back. This kid is YAC machine, even at the NFL level. Some of that dancing will get him killed on Sundays but you can't teach that type of shake and bake. If he's a legit 6'3" and 200+ pounds then he's pretty special to have that size and moves like that.

When it's all said and done I bet he's the first WR taken. The kid's potential just reached out from my computer screen, grabbed me by the throat, and pimp slapped me.

5. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

I'd rather have Allen. Allen is the best route runner in the draft and has much better hands than this guy.

6. Digital

Digital Starter

I like Allen as well, but I think Patterson has better hands than Allen. Allen lacks strength, and while he has an excellent wingspan, frame, and leaping ability, he struggles to come down with the ball in traffic because he lacks strength. Physical CB's and headhunter safeties will be a real problem for Allen, and he needs to add significant muscle.

Patterson doesn't have the wingspan, size or leaping ability that Allen does, but already has an NFL body. He reminds me of a 6'2 Mark Duper. Patterson may not have Duper's elite speed, but he is fast and one of the most explosive guys in the draft. He is super-fluid, strong enough and thick enough to get free from press coverage and withstand the punishment from safeties. He needs to work on his route-running, but man, his RAC is impressive. He has very good change of direction for a high-cut big receiver, his vision is excellent, he sets up his cutbacks and blocks like a RB, and he has patience when running with the ball. If our WR corps develops into the blocking WR's Philbin and Sherman want, then a guy like Patterson is going to score a lot of TD's and generate chunk yardage nearly every game. He may not be a great red zone threat, but he stretches the field and when he refines his game he can be one of the leading WCO receivers in the NFL. I think we're not the only draft afficianados drooling at Cordarrelle Patterson. The only question is which GM's are willing to wait for him to develop?

7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

As I watched all of his games I came to appreciate him more. Unrefined but extremely talented. Destined for great things, IMO.

8. ckparrothead

A lot more physical than I initially thought. The more games you watch and especially if you make sure to pay attention to him on run plays and whatnot, the more you realize he's got an attitude on him. Not a ball of butcher knives and judo chops like Stedman Bailey but definitely spicy. And his size and strength do him service. I remember on one play against Georgia he runs the slant and a linebacker fans out to him right off the snap to "cover" him (which in linebacker-ese evidently meant just running straight into him and tackling him), Patterson didn't see him quickly enough to avoid him and so they collide. The linebacker slinks to the turf like a guy that just ran into a tree trunk at high speed, and Patterson is still standing, not even off balance. There's more subtle signs of that size and strength when you watch a bunch of the games.

Also purely faster than I initially thought. Cutting ability, change of direction, agility and burst are evident all over the place when watching him. He's like Tavon Austin only 7 inches taller. But that doesn't mean a guy is purely fast. On a lot of his straightaways there are guys running at least as fast as him on the field and not all of them are fast players. But then looking at it, a lot of those straightaways happen after multiple cuts. The human body isn't made to de-accelerate and then re-accelerate in the same run, you really can't recover all your speed. As I watched a bunch more games I found instances of him running verticals with guys like Branden Smith and Jaylen Watkins in coverage. Those guys run in the very low 4.4's. Both of them got on the hoof, pumping their arms, accelerating as much as they can to try and close on Patterson as he was looking up for the ball...and nada. Couldn't close any ground. Body language showed they were giving it all and just couldn't run fast enough. That told me what I needed to know on the pure speed and vertical threat front.

The tendency to body catch is there but not as bad as many fear. He's mostly using his body to shield the defender away from the catch which is pretty smart. When the situation is appropriate, he shows perfect willingness to stick his arms out and pluck the ball with his hands. He's not body catching because of a lack of confidence in his hands, IMO. I didn't like how much body catching Golden Tate did coming out and thought he'd essentially be redshirting his rookie year in the NFL while he irons it out. He seems to be no worse for the wear. Nor Roddy White.

The open field running and cutting were always evident, and highly impressive, and I often wondered aloud if weaknesses in physicality and body catching will even matter since he's so damn gifted with the ball in his hands. But those weaknesses weren't what I thought they were, and the more I research into his personality the more convincing he seems as a prospect.

9. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

I would love to get this guy. It's too bad the first round is only for OL and DTs.

10. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

Nice, now we got Ck on board with the pick. Let's email Ireland a youtube video of Patterson making Mississippi State's D and Jonathan Banks look horrendous :lol:

11. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

I would love to get this kid and Bailey. I love both of them. I think then we be making some music on offense.

12. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Patterson And Bailey! Oh my......

13. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't care how raw this kid is with his routes. He's like TY Hilton in space and like Tavon Austin in traffic.

Having waited weeks for Gaffney to start, only to see him cut, a whole season for Egnew, most of the season for Matthews, I am fine waiting a few months of the regular season for Patterson to emerge. If we get what I think we get with him, hell I'll wait the whole first season for him to pick up the offense before he starts.

14. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Get 1 and move back up and get the other 1..................

15. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I absolutely love Patterson. He can hurt you as a WR, Returner and by taking hand offs on Reverses. I made a post about him, after the 1st game of the College Football season against NC State. He has moves like a RB and he's built alot like Atlanta's, Roddy White in his lower body. I wouldn't complain, IF somehow, Miami drafts him, he has alot of upside similar to Tannehill, when he was coming out of Texas A&M.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  16. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

I really think we end up with this guy...

17. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

LOL. I love this kid. I know it would be considered a reach at #12, but a few years down the line I don't think it would be. But, if you could trade down and get an extra 2nd then you have a lot of options and could solve a lot of need areas.

18. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

This is the first time in awhile I'd actually like us to trade down. Unless Jarvis Jones or somebody that should go top 5 falls into our laps, picking up more picks is the right move. The best WR's/DB's/TE's are all in that 20-70 pick range.

19. BassFin

BassFin Starter

Patterson is just what this offense needs. I don't care if he's raw, players like that are special and are worth a pick at 12.

20. twohype

twohype Seasoned Veteran

Yep.....Patterson is just what the doctor ordered for da Phinz :)

21. ANUFan

I so so hope your correct.But the thought of the PAIN I would feel and quite frankly, I'm feeling now that he would be there and we chose to go else where is well PAINFUL!

22. ANUFan

With our luck trading down, while it makes perfect sense would likely allow someone else to pick him. I'm like screw it if you have conviction about a talent, don't mess around just take him! Don't get cute or fancy and get bit right in the buttocks

23. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

Exactly, If he´s the player that fits what we want, take him!! Then, we have 4 picks the next 2 rounds, we can go CB/Bayley/DE/G...man I can´t wait!!!

24. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

I wouldn't get your hopes up guys. If we pay big for a free agent I dont see us going WR round one. If we missed on Wallace/Jennings you might see us take Patterson/Allen though.

25. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I like Patterson if Stedman Bailey is off the board....Patterson has nice size, can also run back kicks, and he really can run after catching it....fantastic side-to-side cuts,,,can juke defenders out of their shoes. Reminds me a little of Michael Irvin.

26. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

I like Patterson, but I'm undecided about him.

I love his talent and he looks exactly like the kind of game changer we need.

But ..

Can someone explain to me who actually watched the games what happened in that 5 game stretch where he did absolutely nothing? That's what worries me more than anything.

27. ckparrothead

Tennessee runs the ball a lot and they throw the ball to Justin Hunter a lot because Tyler Bray is kind of a thick headed guy. They've also got some really underrated receiving options in Zach Rogers and Mychal Rivera (the TE).

You've got to keep in mind this was Patterson's first year in FBS ball. He was not quite a true freshman since he'd spent time in JUCO, but he wasn't really a "junior" either. He had to arrive a month late which put him behind in learning the playbook. It's actually remarkable he absorbed as much as he did. Think about what you saw him doing on the field:

1. Playing perimeter wide receiver
    2. Executing end-arounds from tight to the line
    3. Executing a double-reverse
    4. Executing jet sweeps
    5. Executing OPTION PASSES off his end-arounds and jet sweeps
    6. Taking carries out of the backfield as a TAILBACK
    7. Punt returns
    8. Kick returns
    9. Gunner on special teams

That's kind of impressive, given that he arrived a month later than everyone else and this was his first year at Tennessee, first year in college ball. No wonder Derek Dooley said about the kid,

If you want to get into specifics, given his VARIED responsibilities, I'm not sure I would say he had a 5 game stretch where he did "nothing".

Fact of the matter is, between running, passing and receiving the football, he had only 3 games (out of 12) where he was under 50 yards total, and if you count return yardage then he had only 3 games (out of 12) where he had less than 100 yards on the day. He had only 4 games without a touchdown one way or another. He'd have had 4 games with 2 touchdowns if not for two of them being called back on penalties that would not have been penalties in the NFL.

He did something pretty good in most games. Obviously his most challenging game of the year was against Alabama when he caught 1 ball for 25 yards (man coverage with Robert Lester from the slot), had a -6 yard run, and no touchdowns. But he still had 4 kick returns for 111 yards and proved a handful on those kick returns. His next most challenging game of the year was, strangely enough, against Akron of all schools (2 catches for 20 yards, 2 runs for 12 yards, 1 kick return for 26 yards). I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they really just didn't need him much in that game.

Also keep in mind that on kick returns a lot of schools started kicking away from him to their own detriment. They'd even kick it out of bounds and give the Vols the ball on the 40 yard line. He had a total of 1114 yards rushing, receiving and passing on the year with 10 total TDs (including returns) and like I said 2 TDs were called back.

28. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

Well, that's exactly what I was looking for, thx for the in depth answer.

29. ckparrothead

If you want a REAL look at Cordarrelle and not just a "higlights only" type look, you can watch this:

[video=youtube;rIXqAtF1--M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXqAtF1--M[/video]

Some of those games are the games I watched of his (full games not the YouTube) that changed my mind a bit about him.

Consider the video to be sort of a highlights/lowlights thing, but really just showing every play where the ball came his direction for any reason.

Couple of drops in there on deep over the shoulder type passes that are a little concerning. Not everyone is good at those. You'd hate to be one of those that can't do that well. But other stuff, I mean even on totally non-descript plays where he gains like 5 yards, he's doing something that make your eyelids pop.

One of my favorites is when he's on a jet sweep I think against South Carolina and the corner gets tied up with the receiver on the perimeter and gets in his way. He gets to the corner, turns up the field while leaping over the two players and he cleared seriously no less than 16-17 feet through the air. This wasn't a track and field long jump setting (where his best is 22 feet), this is a football field with the football in his hands and bodies on the ground in front of him, and he has to turn a corner before doing this and he still clears like 16 feet in the air if not more. He gets hit right as he comes down but he stays up for a bit and eventually gets gang tackled.

30. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

Liked almost everything I saw there, he is lot more physical than I initially thought too.

The one thing that stands out, he doesn't catch one deep pass in all those games. What's up with that?

31. LouPhinFan

CK - Any word on why he went JUCO before coming to Knoxville? His agility in the open field for a guy his size is quite stunning. But on the flip side, that over the shoulder drop he had against GA in the video was as bad as bad can get. But the snag on the slant against Vandy shows he doesn't have bad hands at all. Perhaps a concentration thing?

32. SaskFinFan

SaskFinFan Rookie Finheaven VIP

Ok you have me sold if you can tell me that those dropped long balls can be coached out of him and he interviews well, as in not being a headcase. He seems like the type of player we need. Does what the team requires of him and puts his body on the line.

33. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Part of the reason could be having Justin Hunter on the other side. He's one of the best in the college ranks in going up and getting those jump balls deep.

34. ckparrothead

Everyone drops balls every now and again. IF it's systemic and not random, I'm guessing he is just inconsistent with over the shoulder catches. Guys with "good" hands can still be bad at certain kinds of catches, like over the shoulder or low catches dug out of the turf. They can also work on and get better at those kinds of catches.

He made a deep vertical catch against David Amerson in his first game of the year. Had another one about 25 yards over the shoulder against Robert Lester of Alabama. He an do it.

35. ckparrothead

Honestly a lot more worried about his ability to read corner and especially safety leverage at full speed during his routes, making the adjustments he will need to make in the pros to be a trusted receiver target. That is my biggest concern. Not hands.

36. LouPhinFan

If he picked up the TN playbook so quickly, it sounds like he's coachable and a smart kid. I bet he could learn that skill.

37. ckparrothead

"Sounds like" being the operant term. It's a good sign that he could play so many roles in the offense and special teams even though it was his first year in Tennessee and he arrived a month later than everyone else which made him behind. But then, he's still not great (or even good) with that stuff yet and until he is, it's a risk. Also the roles he played seemed kind of designed just to get the ball in his hands in the easiest way possible and let him run with it. So who knows. It's a chance I'd take.

38. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

The same reason many players go to JUCO, he didn't qualify academically.
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...darrelle-patterson-signs-tennessee-volunteers

39. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

I think this is why back in October Todd McShay thought Patterson should return to Tennessee for his senior year.
    http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/oct/20/analyst-vols-trio-stay-at-ut-tennessee-vols/