Cordarrelle Patterson declares for draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cordarrelle Patterson declares for draft

I really think we end up with this guy...

He has vision like a running back. This kid is YAC machine, even at the NFL level. Some of that dancing will get him killed on Sundays but you can't teach that type of shake and bake. If he's a legit 6'3" and 200+ pounds then he's pretty special to have that size and moves like that.

When it's all said and done I bet he's the first WR taken. The kid's potential just reached out from my computer screen, grabbed me by the throat, and pimp slapped me.
LOL. I love this kid. I know it would be considered a reach at #12, but a few years down the line I don't think it would be. But, if you could trade down and get an extra 2nd then you have a lot of options and could solve a lot of need areas.

This is the first time in awhile I'd actually like us to trade down. Unless Jarvis Jones or somebody that should go top 5 falls into our laps, picking up more picks is the right move. The best WR's/DB's/TE's are all in that 20-70 pick range.

Patterson is just what this offense needs. I don't care if he's raw, players like that are special and are worth a pick at 12.

Patterson is just what this offense needs. I don't care if he's raw, players like that are special and are worth a pick at 12.

Yep.....Patterson is just what the doctor ordered for da Phinz :-)

I really think we end up with this guy...

I so so hope your correct.But the thought of the PAIN I would feel and quite frankly, I'm feeling now that he would be there and we chose to go else where is well PAINFUL!

With our luck trading down, while it makes perfect sense would likely allow someone else to pick him. I'm like screw it if you have conviction about a talent, don't mess around just take him! Don't get cute or fancy and get bit right in the buttocks

Exactly, If he´s the player that fits what we want, take him!! Then, we have 4 picks the next 2 rounds, we can go CB/Bayley/DE/G...man I can´t wait!!!

I wouldn't get your hopes up guys. If we pay big for a free agent I dont see us going WR round one. If we missed on Wallace/Jennings you might see us take Patterson/Allen though.

I like Patterson if Stedman Bailey is off the board....Patterson has nice size, can also run back kicks, and he really can run after catching it....fantastic side-to-side cuts,,,can juke defenders out of their shoes. Reminds me a little of Michael Irvin.

I like Patterson, but I'm undecided about him.

I love his talent and he looks exactly like the kind of game changer we need.

But ..

Can someone explain to me who actually watched the games what happened in that 5 game stretch where he did absolutely nothing? That's what worries me more than anything.

I like Patterson, but I'm undecided about him.

I love his talent and he looks exactly like the kind of game changer we need.

But ..

Can someone explain to me who actually watched the games what happened in that 5 game stretch where he did absolutely nothing? That's what worries me more than anything.

Tennessee runs the ball a lot and they throw the ball to Justin Hunter a lot because Tyler Bray is kind of a thick headed guy. They've also got some really underrated receiving options in Zach Rogers and Mychal Rivera (the TE).

You've got to keep in mind this was Patterson's first year in FBS ball. He was not quite a true freshman since he'd spent time in JUCO, but he wasn't really a "junior" either. He had to arrive a month late which put him behind in learning the playbook. It's actually remarkable he absorbed as much as he did. Think about what you saw him doing on the field:

1. Playing perimeter wide receiver
2. Executing end-arounds from tight to the line
3. Executing a double-reverse
4. Executing jet sweeps
5. Executing OPTION PASSES off his end-arounds and jet sweeps
6. Taking carries out of the backfield as a TAILBACK
7. Punt returns
8. Kick returns
9. Gunner on special teams

That's kind of impressive, given that he arrived a month later than everyone else and this was his first year at Tennessee, first year in college ball. No wonder Derek Dooley said about the kid,

Derek Dooley said:
'Ive never been around someone who's made such a big impact in such a short space of time'.

If you want to get into specifics, given his VARIED responsibilities, I'm not sure I would say he had a 5 game stretch where he did "nothing".

Fact of the matter is, between running, passing and receiving the football, he had only 3 games (out of 12) where he was under 50 yards total, and if you count return yardage then he had only 3 games (out of 12) where he had less than 100 yards on the day. He had only 4 games without a touchdown one way or another. He'd have had 4 games with 2 touchdowns if not for two of them being called back on penalties that would not have been penalties in the NFL.

He did something pretty good in most games. Obviously his most challenging game of the year was against Alabama when he caught 1 ball for 25 yards (man coverage with Robert Lester from the slot), had a -6 yard run, and no touchdowns. But he still had 4 kick returns for 111 yards and proved a handful on those kick returns. His next most challenging game of the year was, strangely enough, against Akron of all schools (2 catches for 20 yards, 2 runs for 12 yards, 1 kick return for 26 yards). I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they really just didn't need him much in that game.

Also keep in mind that on kick returns a lot of schools started kicking away from him to their own detriment. They'd even kick it out of bounds and give the Vols the ball on the 40 yard line. He had a total of 1114 yards rushing, receiving and passing on the year with 10 total TDs (including returns) and like I said 2 TDs were called back.

If you want a REAL look at Cordarrelle and not just a "higlights only" type look, you can watch this:

[video=youtube;rIXqAtF1--M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXqAtF1--M[/video]

Some of those games are the games I watched of his (full games not the YouTube) that changed my mind a bit about him.

Consider the video to be sort of a highlights/lowlights thing, but really just showing every play where the ball came his direction for any reason.

Couple of drops in there on deep over the shoulder type passes that are a little concerning. Not everyone is good at those. You'd hate to be one of those that can't do that well. But other stuff, I mean even on totally non-descript plays where he gains like 5 yards, he's doing something that make your eyelids pop.

One of my favorites is when he's on a jet sweep I think against South Carolina and the corner gets tied up with the receiver on the perimeter and gets in his way. He gets to the corner, turns up the field while leaping over the two players and he cleared seriously no less than 16-17 feet through the air. This wasn't a track and field long jump setting (where his best is 22 feet), this is a football field with the football in his hands and bodies on the ground in front of him, and he has to turn a corner before doing this and he still clears like 16 feet in the air if not more. He gets hit right as he comes down but he stays up for a bit and eventually gets gang tackled.

Liked almost everything I saw there, he is lot more physical than I initially thought too.

The one thing that stands out, he doesn't catch one deep pass in all those games. What's up with that?

Back
Top Bottom