Coryell offense/ Miami new & old offense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coryell offense/ Miami new & old offense

And it sounds like the perfect system for Ronnie too :) .
I have to agree with you. I think RB can have a breakout year and RW can contribute as well. It all depends on how our QB and OL perform. I think our offense can be good next year.

Guys we've ran this offense before. It's nothing out of the ordinary and you'll see loads of play action followed by up the gut and off tackle runs.

And it sounds like the perfect system for Ronnie too :) .
oh yes my friend..... ronnie excels at running with power and picking his way through...... then throw in his rare recieving abilities and you have the weapon this system craves. I'm still dancing from the 05' draft ya know.... we rocked it.

GREAT READ!!!

Judging by this CPEP could technically adapt to this offense. What scares me sh1tless is the amount of 5 - 7 step drops. Can you imagine Culpepper doing those last year???

I'm not so sure. Here's the info someone posted about CPEP:

8 Culpepper, Daunte QB 6-4 255 29 Central Florida - very strong arm
but not very accuracy on medium routes

A strong arm is important for this offense, but an accurate one is critical. The arm strength is not about throwing 40 to 50 yard bombs, it's about throwing 15 to 20 yard passes accurately. This offense asks quarterbacks to put the ball in tight windows on those intermediate throws where 6 to 12 inches means the difference between a first down and an interception.

Trent Green has been the most prolific QB in this offense in the past 5 years. Trent does not have an overly strong arm on the deep throws (40+), but he is extremely accurate on the 15 to 20 yard throws. Mix that in to the playaction he did off of the running of Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson and you can see why he kept throwing for over 4000 yards with a great TE and mediocre WRs.

What this article doesn't mention is how important it is and how difficult it is for the WRs to learn this offense. Green struggled his first year in KC because the WRs were a step slow in the offense. They didn't get to where they needed to be, where the ball was going to be. As Kennison got better at this, he began having 1000 yard seasons. Green helped him understand the nuances of the offense much, much better.

Given the strength of the Dolphins defense, it may make sense to get Green to Miami for 2 years to make a run while also allowing him to groom the QBOTF in this offense.

Somebody forgot to tell Jay Novacek he was suppose to suck in the Coryell offense.

I'm not so sure. Here's the info someone posted about CPEP:

8 Culpepper, Daunte QB 6-4 255 29 Central Florida - very strong arm
but not very accuracy on medium routes

A strong arm is important for this offense, but an accurate one is critical. The arm strength is not about throwing 40 to 50 yard bombs, it's about throwing 15 to 20 yard passes accurately. This offense asks quarterbacks to put the ball in tight windows on those intermediate throws where 6 to 12 inches means the difference between a first down and an interception.

Trent Green has been the most prolific QB in this offense in the past 5 years. Trent does not have an overly strong arm on the deep throws (40+), but he is extremely accurate on the 15 to 20 yard throws. Mix that in to the playaction he did off of the running of Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson and you can see why he kept throwing for over 4000 yards with a great TE and mediocre WRs.

What this article doesn't mention is how important it is and how difficult it is for the WRs to learn this offense. Green struggled his first year in KC because the WRs were a step slow in the offense. They didn't get to where they needed to be, where the ball was going to be. As Kennison got better at this, he began having 1000 yard seasons. Green helped him understand the nuances of the offense much, much better.

Given the strength of the Dolphins defense, it may make sense to get Green to Miami for 2 years to make a run while also allowing him to groom the QBOTF in this offense.

Yea because 37 year old Qb's usually excel and 2 years from now Taylor and Thomas will be closer to retiring, not to mention that we have no clue who our Qb of the future will be.

Really great read ¡¡¡

And yes, i think Ronnie Brown is the perfect fit for that kind of offense, run with power and great hands.

We only need a QB :rolleyes2

I know Norv Turner tried to implement this system with the Dolphins beofore with mixed reviews in terms of success.

Why did it not work when Norv was here? Personnel? Execution?

What "Type" of offense did the Dolphins run in Marino's hayday?

Was it a "Coryell" derivative?

How much of the "Coryell" offense remained from Norv's tenure with the Dolphins?

I remember that Saban kept saying that it was the "Dolphins" offense; and brought guys like Frerotte in to run it.

Are the changes to the "New Dolphins Offense" under Cameron sweeping changes or subtle?

Last year were the Dolphins trying to run the "Coryell" offense with incorrect personnel "Types" or just running it incorrectly?

Obviously, there has been a great deal of roster "Tinkering" this offseason in terms of personnel. Were the changes due to "Bad Fit", "Bad Contract", or BOTH?

I'm serious with these questions, so please post thoughtful replies.

Thanks.

My thoughts:

The Coryell offense relies on power running and a legitimate deep ball threat. We had the power running, but never the deep ball while Norv was here. Our opponents concentrated on stopping our running game and we were never able to make them pay for it. Give the blame to Wanny for sticking with Jay Fiedler, who could barely throw a pass over 20 yds...much less throw one accurately.

in Marino's heyday we certainly had the deep ball, but only an average running game and it could in no way be considered "power running". The line's primary duty was to keep Marino's jersey clean, not to be "road graders" for our running backs. By this, I would say that our offense was NOT a variation of the Coryell. It wasnt the WCO or Run and Shoot either though, so Im not sure what its origin was.

Too early to see how extensive Camerons changes will be, but they appear to be more than subtle. Moves he has made so far fit into the overall Coryell doctrine - McMike was more of a pass catcher (or pass dropper) than a blocker. Welker, who is a fine possession/slot receiver but not really a deep threat was traded (though probably due more to what we were able to get for him). Welker's possible replacement, Az Zahir Hakim is a burner. Liwienski, while maybe not a true "road grader", is the type of guy you need for a power running game. Schlesinger is more of a lead blocking fullback than was was Morris or Barnes.

Reason for Tinkering....I'd say Both.

Back
Top Bottom