Cosell: Tannehill throws better on the run than Luck or Griffin | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cosell: Tannehill throws better on the run than Luck or Griffin

It doesn't matter. Dolphins wont get hm. The Rams willtrade up to 4 to ensure getting Blackmon and Cleveland will take him at 6. Buccaneers will not trade their 5 to the Dolphins for any reasonable value because they will want Richardson who Cleveland will pick at 6 if the Dolphins pick Tannehill at 5.

From watching Tannehill on tape, he looks really mobile, but he doesn't get happy feet and then throw a horrible pass. He will stay in the pocket and wait for receivers to come open, but if there is nothing there he can run for a first down. His throws on the run are very accurate and I would agree with Cosell in that he throws better on the run than Luck/ RG3.

I think Luck still has a stronger arm than Tannehill, and RG3 is faster, but I would have no problem taking Tannehill at #8. Why would Cleveland pass on Blackmon when that is exactly what Colt McCoy needs...a big fast #1 receiver. I think some other team might fall in love with Tannehill and maybe move up before #8 to get him.....if this happens I think we would probably look at getting Weeden, but not with the 8th pick.

Weeden throws the best on the run. Some team is going to luck into Weeden and I hope it's us.

I don't think the Dolphins will even get a shot at Tannehill. It seems like the Browns might trade down with the Rams to get another pick and pick up Tannehill before Miami.

Cosell has some concerns about Tannehill, including missing some throws, a tendency to lock his front leg as he delivers the ball, and poor reads of the defense — especially not seeing the safeties. And Cosell said he didn’t see the improvement over the course of Tannehill’s 19-start college career that he would have liked.

No thanks.

The Rams aren't trading up. They aren't even going to draft WR. They are loaded at WR. Greg Salas and Austin Pettis are going to contribute this year. If Danario Alexander can stay on the field he is as talented as any WR in the league. Amendola, Mark Clayton,Steve Smith,Brandon Gibson, and others will all be competing for snaps.

The Rams are far more likely to trade down again than to trade up. If Richardson is there they have to draft him. Steven Jackson's chronic back problems make him completely unreliable.

the rams aren't gonna draft a wr this year??? well if thats the case sam bradford needs to goin kick the new gm...

The Rams aren't trading up. They aren't even going to draft WR. They are loaded at WR. Greg Salas and Austin Pettis are going to contribute this year. If Danario Alexander can stay on the field he is as talented as any WR in the league. Amendola, Mark Clayton,Steve Smith,Brandon Gibson, and others will all be competing for snaps.

The Rams are far more likely to trade down again than to trade up. If Richardson is there they have to draft him. Steven Jackson's chronic back problems make him completely unreliable.

LOL! That WR corps is worse than the Dolphins. If you think the Browns are satisfied with McCoy you must think the Dolphins are satisfied with their two QBs. If Cleveland has Blackmon and Tannehill of equal value to the team or Blackmon of marginally better value, they make the trade and gain a 2nd day draft pick. WR is deep and a good one can be found later. Which would you rather have, Blackmon or Tannehill and Hill, maybe Sanu

Cosell Talks: The Tannehill Project

Getty Images
With talk around the NFL that Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill could be drafted as high as fourth overall to the Browns, more analysts are talking up Tannehill’s tape. And Greg Cosell of NFL Films has offered up an assessment that gives plenty of reason to like Tannehill’s chances of going very high in next month’s NFL draft.

“One benefit of Tannehill’s three-quarters delivery is it allows him to throw very well on the move, both to his right and impressively, to his left,” Cosell writes. “In fact, he’s a better, more accurate passer on the run than either Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin. Tannehill was very efficient off the boot-action pass game. That will translate very well to the NFL.”

Cosell has some concerns about Tannehill, including missing some throws, a tendency to lock his front leg as he delivers the ball, and poor reads of the defense — especially not seeing the safeties. And Cosell said he didn’t see the improvement over the course of Tannehill’s 19-start college career that he would have liked.

But Cosell says Tannehill compares favorably to last year’s 12th overall pick, Christian Ponder, and that some quarterback-needy team is going to take him high.

“Tannehill is a better prospect than Christian Ponder was a year ago,” Cosell writes. “Tannehill possesses the skill set to be a quality NFL starter. At this point, he would be best in a quick-rhythm, short-to-intermediate passing game that featured play-action and boot-action passes. One thing we know for certain: He likely will be drafted higher than his body of work suggests he should be.”

Maybe as high as fourth to the Browns.
This was taken from Cosell Talks: The Tannehill Project
http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/03/28/cosell-talks-the-tannehill-project/?module=HP11_cp

Back to Tannehill — against Oklahoma State, a number of things were evident. Let’s start with arm strength, often dismissed as an overrated attribute — until, of course, it’s needed in a critical situation. Tannehill had a good arm, but not a gun. What helped him spin the ball was good weight transfer. He did not lift his back foot off the ground too soon, and effectively drove through his throws.

Three other points emerged from this game. First, he was willing to pull the trigger on difficult throws, which is a necessity in the NFL. Second, he threw the ball well and with confidence when working outside the numbers. Lastly, and surprisingly given his relative inexperience, he exhibited comfortable pocket mobility. In response to pressure, he moved within an area that approximates the size of a boxing ring while maintaining both his passer profile and his downfield focus. Pocket movement is a far more important attribute in the NFL than leaving the pocket and running.

This was one game, so these were snapshots more than final grades. As I continued with Arkansas, Iowa State and Missouri, I developed a more fully developed picture of Tannehill. His delivery was a bit low, more three-quarters than over-the-top. It was compact with good arm speed, which also accounted for the aforementioned velocity. One concern: I thought he had a tendency to lock his front leg as he delivered the ball at times. There were instances in which that hindered his usually precise ball location. Some throws were a little high, especially ones between the numbers. Those problems can be coached and fixed, but it’s a process and, at this point, a concern.

Back
Top Bottom