Could Tannehill excel with more 'read-option' plays | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Tannehill excel with more 'read-option' plays

iambanned

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
When he started running more late in the year, often in plays that resembled those of the 49'ers or Redskins, I was excited by the bursts of speed Tanny exhibited.
I knew that he had been a major division I college WR so I shouldn't ave been too surprised by some speed, but, gosh-darn he sure made 20 yards disappear in a heartbeat, didn't he!?
But with the physique he has plus not seeming to have that 'shake&bake' element of a true rusher, I wonder if he's too 'white' (plenty of black QBs have been 'too white' too) to be a good, consistent read-option QB. I would think, just as a RB would have to throw well enough to be a real threat in the wildcat, I would think that a QB would have to be enough of a true rushing threat to really thrive in the read-option offense.

What say you, finheaven? Should Miami implement more read-option or not?

Absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind. Being somewhat of a hybrid QB/WR, he would excel in a read option "type" of offense. But with that being said.....I think Philbin has other things in mind for Tanney.

He could, but he shouldn't. The less often your QB gets hit, the better. We already saw Griffin injured twice this season. Besides, much like the Wildcat, defenses will catch up to the read-option, killing it's effectiveness...

Id rather have a QB like Aaron Rodgers who can throw the ball and run as a last resort.

It's all about taking punishment which the read-option invites, for a QB.

Better to have a QB like Rodgers or Flacco who can hurt you with his legs when you least expect it -- give prime protection to the QB. Plus, it's not a fad. Tried and true -- especially w. passing rules in this league, nowadays.

LD

Gimmick offenses don't last long in the NFL.

Having your FRANCHISE QB taking unnecessary hits is moronic on a epic scale.

He could, but he shouldn't. The less often your QB gets hit, the better. We already saw Griffin injured twice this season. Besides, much like the Wildcat, defenses will catch up to the read-option, killing it's effectiveness...

This.

A thousand times this.

I don't mind him tucking & running occasionally, but to make it a focal point? Nope.

yes but only in certain areas of the field and down and distance is at the minimal

Oh for God's sake. Tannehill is what 6'4" and 220lbs. He's a former WR - you think he hasn't taken a few hits before?

It's all about how you use the read option. If you manage it carefully and don't overexpose your QB or turn it into a gimmick in your offense, there is NO reason on this earth why you couldn't have Tanny run some.

The RG3 situation was excessive. The Redskins couldn't resist the temptation to keep RG3 going further and more often, rather than use it when it was needed. Even then, his latest injury was sustained while throwing a pass, not while getting smashed by a linebacker (that happened already earlier in the season). It was then aggravated by him playing on. Stupidity all round. RG3 is a good enough passer not to be running half the time he actually does.

Tannehill's a big, solidly built kid, bigger than a lot of guys who would take much more abuse in a single game than Tannehill could take in a season, if the read option was properly managed. After the physical abuse he probably took in college as a wideout (and not a very fast/elusive one), a few read option plays would seem like a ballet lesson.

Players can get injured at any time doing anything - just ask David Garrard!

rg3's injury wasn't about one particular hit really...it was about a accumulation of hard impacts and given that it was bound to happen...we used the read option a lot in one of the buffalo games and tannehill took more hard contact than i ever want my qb too...yeah he's a big kid but all it takes is a few head shots and he's scrambled eggs...or a lot of off balance awkward falls type stuff and it starts catching up with you...

use the read option some...sure...but do it responsibly and don't fall for the short term fad shelf life killer that is the read option in large doses...

rg3's injury wasn't about one particular hit really...it was about a accumulation of hard impacts and given that it was bound to happen...we used the read option a lot in one of the buffalo games and tannehill took more hard contact than i ever want my qb too...yeah he's a big kid but all it takes is a few head shots and he's scrambled eggs...or a lot of off balance awkward falls type stuff and it starts catching up with you...

use the read option some...sure...but do it responsibly and don't fall for the short term fad shelf life killer that is the read option in large doses...

We're in violent agreement then!

I would say, NO.

His strength is that he has a strong arm and that he played WR in college so he is very familiar with the routes and the passing game from both ends.

I would build the O and game plan to cater to his strengths. Designed runs are one thing, but involving him in steady contact by running him consistantly is a bad idea. Just look at how his rookie year went.

He was injured for over a third of the year after taking a glancing blow and falling awkwardly. It was a serious injury. If the opposing team knows that the QB will run consistantly they start to change their mindset from just tackling to putting serious hurt on the QB.

Back
Top Bottom