Could we be effective with a statue QB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could we be effective with a statue QB?

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this, and you know to be completely honest, if we were to pick up a Collins or Warner, two guys who need to be protected...I know people say well we don't have the OL to protect him. Ok, thats true. But, we DO have the starting WRs to protect them.

What I mean is, with two starters of Chambers and Boston's quality, we could go max protect all day and not have a problem because usually no matter who the other team puts on Chambers or Boston, it should be a mismatch. Ricky is good at picking up blitzes and chipping on rushers, and Rob if I recall isn't that bad at it either. Donald Lee is a pretty good blocker and Randy can do that too...and in max protect you wouldn't necessarily ALWAYS need to have the TE stay in.

Its basically the Joe Gibbs type offense. He is really good at scheming to protect the QB and using max protections. I really don't understand, if we were to go after a Warner or Collins (and get rid of Fiedler), why we couldn't do the same.

Of course, this assumes our brand new OL doesn't surprise us and play really well. I think they could surprise us.

Don't mistake me on Feeley though. I'm not raising this issue because he had subpar performances at our recent mini-camps. Those performances mean about as much to me as an air conditioner in winter. We just don't know that Feeley will be ready in his first year in the offense to lead us to the promised land. Guys like Warner and Collins are a bit more experienced, could be ready to lead us quicker. We know they have the armstrength, accuracy, and ability to read defenses that we HOPE Feeley has...and we know that Fiedler doesn't. Thats what I'm sayin. As always, at the right price...

BTW don't count out Sage. He's been the most impressive of the three QBs so far...and thats the second offseason in a row he's done that yet been the 3rd stringer.

I dont hold much hope for Sage. He has a good arm but from what I hear his accuracy is iffy at best. As for Warner or Collins, I would take a look at Collins. We could either Max protect as you stated, or swing out Ricky/Konrad in the flat. Collins' experience would allow him ot make those reads quickly and his arm would certainly stretch the field. Sick of Jay's wobblers sailing out of bounds and CC jets 5 yards ahead of the CB.
Highly doubt you will see it though.

I'd be happy to get Collins. I still consider him 1 of the better QBs in the NFL. But I'll say no thanks on Warner, I'd rather have Fiedler. People need to forget about the past and realize that Warner is terrible. I dont think hes even won a game since 2001. I will be convinced that the Fins have the dumbest FO in the NFL if they cut Fiedler so they can sign Warner.

If Warner's hand is finally right (and that is a big if), he is at least as good as Collins is. I wouldn't want Warner without a serious medical exam, but I would entertain signing him and keeping the Norv-style offense in place before I would consider Collins. Both guys are statues, but Collins is the one who drives his team and then gets picked off at the worst possible time.

One guy who can't forget the past is Mike Martz, because uncannily since 2001 when Warner won his last game, he's refused to keep people in to protect Warner, and he's also refused to run Marshall in order to keep defenses honest. He can still read defenses, he can still throw the ball with zip and accuracy. The real question is his pocket presence. With max protection schemes and our starting WR combo, what I'm saying is it might be more possible than many here think. Many people here think Warner or Collins would fail in this offense the way the OL is. I think its possible they could succeed, but its up to the FO to decide if thats the direction they want to go. I suspect it is not.

Warner and Collins fumble alot - like Griese ;) I want our QB to be really good at handing the ball off to Ricky about all else. I do not want a statue back there who cannot make the long handoffs. I thought Norv and Chan did very little w/Jay's atheletic ability - which is superior to most QBs - to get him to get Ricky more of a head start to the outside or off tackle as well as produce more ball fake/play action passes ala P Manning

ckparrothead said:
I was thinking about this, and you know to be completely honest, if we were to pick up a Collins or Warner, two guys who need to be protected...I know people say well we don't have the OL to protect him. Ok, thats true. But, we DO have the starting WRs to protect them.

What I mean is, with two starters of Chambers and Boston's quality, we could go max protect all day and not have a problem because usually no matter who the other team puts on Chambers or Boston, it should be a mismatch. Ricky is good at picking up blitzes and chipping on rushers, and Rob if I recall isn't that bad at it either. Donald Lee is a pretty good blocker and Randy can do that too...and in max protect you wouldn't necessarily ALWAYS need to have the TE stay in.

Its basically the Joe Gibbs type offense. He is really good at scheming to protect the QB and using max protections. I really don't understand, if we were to go after a Warner or Collins (and get rid of Fiedler), why we couldn't do the same.

Of course, this assumes our brand new OL doesn't surprise us and play really well. I think they could surprise us.

Don't mistake me on Feeley though. I'm not raising this issue because he had subpar performances at our recent mini-camps. Those performances mean about as much to me as an air conditioner in winter. We just don't know that Feeley will be ready in his first year in the offense to lead us to the promised land. Guys like Warner and Collins are a bit more experienced, could be ready to lead us quicker. We know they have the armstrength, accuracy, and ability to read defenses that we HOPE Feeley has...and we know that Fiedler doesn't. Thats what I'm sayin. As always, at the right price...

BTW don't count out Sage. He's been the most impressive of the three QBs so far...and thats the second offseason in a row he's done that yet been the 3rd stringer.

ckparrothead said:
...Guys like Warner and Collins are a bit more experienced, could be ready to lead us quicker...
What specific thing about Kerry Collins style of play suggests that he would be an upgrade to Jay Fiedler?

I don't care whether or not the quarterback is a statue or a guy who has good running ability. This team will not go anywhere until they get a lot better at passing out of the pocket. We have to get a pocket passer, and I think we have that guy in AJ Feeley.

Whoever is the quarterback for Miami has to be able to make plays WITH THEIR ARM from the pocket. I don't care how much running ability the quarterback has. If he can't make plays with his arm from the pocket, then he will not lead his team to the Superbowl.

PhinstiGator said:
What specific thing about Kerry Collins style of play suggests that he would be an upgrade to Jay Fiedler?

His accuracy on the deep ball and his ability to attack the entire field with his arm from the pocket.

With Jay, you have to put him on the move. By rolling him out, it effectively cuts the amount of field you can attack in half. This makes things much easier for the defense. Jay is a horrible pocket quarterback. He doesn't see the field well, and he simply can't get enough on his passes if he doesn't have a running start. Jay limits the passing offense to slants and short out patterns. He can't and will never be able to throw the ball accurately down the field. He simply doesn't have the arm to do it. Every once in a while, he will hit a pass down the sidelines, but there again, he limits the downfield passing to just the sidelines. He doesn't see the field well enough to attack the middle of the field, where the cover 2 scheme is the most vunerable.

Kerry Collins can do a lot of the things off the play action that Troy Aikman could do. He's not as accurate as Aikman, but he is a similar, pocket style of quarterback that I consider to be a poor man's Troy Aikman.

TO start with,Feeley is a statue so your reasoning sucks.I wouldn't mind bringing in Collins who is a SURE upgrade.Feeley is not any more mobile than Collins or Warner.

KBISBACK said:
His accuracy on the deep ball and his ability to attack the entire field with his arm from the pocket...

...Kerry Collins can do a lot of the things off the play action that Troy Aikman could do. He's not as accurate as Aikman, but he is a similar, pocket style of quarterback that I consider to be a poor man's Troy Aikman.

Well, he throws a lot of INT's for someone who is accused of being accurate. I don't buy it. I watched him his whole career from his Penn State days till his pathetic last season. His QB rating and completion percentage do not suggest he is an upgrade. His performance in the superbowl against the Ravens with 4 INT's is less than desirable. His performance against the Phins last year with 3 INT's was not impressive. One would question why he would throw at Surtain.

IMO, Kerry Collins is a downgrade from Brian Griese. I surely don't want the Dolphins to go that direction.

I think Feeley is pretty mobile actually, hes not like Fiedler but hes certainly better then Collins and especially Warner. He wouldnt have played in a west coast unless he could move a little. As for my argument against Warner is that he has a chronic thumb injury, if it hasnt gone away since 2001, come on people the guy is like 35 its not getting any better. Also Warner cant handle the blitz, its been proven when you blitz him enough he'll throw an interception or take a sack and fumble it. Martz has given him many chances, Warner just couldnt take advantage of them. I say stick with Fiedler whos decent and already knows the offense. Groom Feeley to be the starter, but Fiedler should be the verteran backup instead of Warner or Collins.

ckparrothead said:

What I mean is, with two starters of Chambers and Boston's quality, we could go max protect all day and not have a problem because usually no matter who the other team puts on Chambers or Boston, it should be a mismatch.
Warner couldn`t get it done the last two years with Holt and Bruce... who I think everyone will agree are better than Chambers and Boston. No go on Warner, he had his time and it`s past.

KillerJosh373 said:
I think Feeley is pretty mobile actually, hes not like Fiedler but hes certainly better then Collins and especially Warner. He wouldnt have played in a west coast unless he could move a little. As for my argument against Warner is that he has a chronic thumb injury, if it hasnt gone away since 2001, come on people the guy is like 35 its not getting any better. Also Warner cant handle the blitz, its been proven when you blitz him enough he'll throw an interception or take a sack and fumble it. Martz has given him many chances, Warner just couldnt take advantage of them. I say stick with Fiedler whos decent and already knows the offense. Groom Feeley to be the starter, but Fiedler should be the verteran backup instead of Warner or Collins.

Don't kid yourself because Feeley is not mobile QB.He is as mobile as Collins.Too bad Dolphins are not considering Collins.

Back
Top Bottom