Culpepper + Bulger = Recycled injury prone crap | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper + Bulger = Recycled injury prone crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Predaphin said:
We don't need an upgrade....we need a long term solution

The long term solution will be the QB that we draft, but that doesn't mean that we acquire a better QB to play now. Gus will not take us to the next level, and Saban is well aware of this.

insomnia411 said:
Man he fell flat on his face this year when he faced a little bit of adversity before he tore his knee into a million pieces... He was very reminiscent of AJ Feeley this year throwing 2x as many ints as he did touchdowns... I want nothing to do with him.
I know he played badly at the start of the year but we are talking about a team that was really screwed up at the time. Do you take one very short period of time that he struggled or do you take several years of success caped off by the best year of his career last year? Based on his previous success its very hard for me to say he is no longer a top QB because he struggled for a couple games on a team that was in chaos.

greatwade said:
Very Well Thought Out.

Draft A Qb

Not really. He didn't mention the fact that Culpepper had his worst games against some of the best defenses in the NFL....thanks to CK for pointing that out to me yesterday.

I wouldn't be so quick to label him injury prone either.

Yep, I'm warming up to the idea of grabbing Culpep!

ok,

Culpeppers troubles last year IMO was the fact that since he started playing in Minny he had Moss and for a while Moss and Carter. So week in and week out he saw the cover two defence. That's it. He's only seen for the most part one D.

The reason teams played that D was because if you leave Moss in single coverage you will lose and lose badly.

He starts the year minus Moss and teams could throw the kitchen sink at him and did. He couldn't make his reads fast enough, he couldn't find the open man and he threw INT's. A lot of them.

Then he gets hurt.......

So can he rebound from that injury and if he does can he figure out different D's???

insomnia411 said:
There is a reason why both teams are trying to dump these quarterbacks, if they were such great "FRANCHISE QBs" (phrase of the month) then why are their teams trying to dump them for relatively low asking prices? When both of these guys were at the peak of their success (2-3 years ago) they were playing for two of the most dynamic and prolific passing offenses in place in the NFL that were run by Mike Martz and Scott Linehan. They not only played for masterminds of the passing offense, but they also had incredible supporting casts that would make most any qb look as good as they did!

My case against Culpepper - For once, Moss is not the main argument

Ever since Marino left the Dolphins have had to deal with quarterbacks who consistently turn the ball over, and also cannot stay healthy. I don't know about you guys but I'm really really tired of this and I don't want to see this team put all of it's faith in another guy who does the same crap as Frerotte but is just overhyped like crazy. The man had 2 incredible years in 2003 and 2004 and there is no disputing that, but have you ever seen a player fall FLAT ON HIS FACE after such an MVP type season like Culpepper did in 2005 after that 2004 season? I mean I'll cut him some slack because he was playing in a new offense with no Randy Moss and a makeshift offensive line, but shouldn't a player of such a high caliber be able to atleast hold his own under such circumstances? Look at Tom Brady this year, he lost everyone due to injuries and Charlie Wies left, what did Brady do? He had the best year of his career! Don't make any excuses for Culpepper that he doesn't deserve. This is all on top of the fact that the man has the absolute nerve to ask for a huge pay raise after such a horrendous season. 6 tds - 12 picks, CAN YOU SAY AJ FEELEY? So you want me to trade away Ricky Williams, or a high draft pick, or possibly both for a guy who can't play without a great offense around him, has a SHREDDED knee, and will encompass a hellatious amount of the cap? Give me a break PLEASE! BTW Everyone wants to talk about how he succeeded without Moss in 2004, guess who still cuaght 13 td passes that year? Ya the guy was hurt, but he was still a huge part of that offense both as a decoy and as a red zone threat. Culpepper can stay in Minnesota and get outplayed by Brad Johnson again for all I care, just don't bring him and his absurd salary around here.

My case against Bulger - Not as bad as Culpepper, asking price is too high

I don't put much faith in the rumor that Bulger is leaving St. Louis because of the success he has had while healthy. In 2004 he bounced back from an interception prone 2003 season even though he still had a high qb rating and played relatively well. But again, the man had if not THE best, one of the best supporting casts in the whole league that was coached by a guy who's claim to fame is his success with passing offenses. St. Louis is going to be asking for a 1st rounder for Bulger and that is a pick that we cannot afford to give up because of our needs on defense. This year is a great year for cornerbacks, OLBs, DTs, and safeties in the first round, those happen to be our biggest needs on defense. We need to land a big defensive playmaker with our first pick, and it is very possible to do so. That being said, if we can pick up a few big defensive free agents at those positions (almost impossible there is a salary cap) then I wouldn't be all that opposed to giving up our first pick for Bulger, but I still don't like the idea. I don't like the idea of giving up a first rounder for a guy coming off an injury ridden year and he just might pull a Culpepper of last year if he plays in a new offense.
I probably will get killed for this because I just bashed the hell out of two of the most statistically successful qbs of the last 3 years in the NFL, albeit inconsistent. I'm just saying that I don't want this team to get screwed over yet AGAIN by an overrated quarterback who is prone to injuries and turnovers. I especially don't want to see us put all of our faith in one like we would be doing if we traded a high pick for Culpepper or Bulger. Obviously that would be a much better idea than trading a 2nd rounder for AJ Feeley (DAMNIT SPIELMAN) but still not a great plan. All I'm saying is that we should take a safe approach to the qb position this off season, Drew Brees might test the market and I like him, and Frerotte did play very well in the 2nd half of the season. If anything I would love it if Cutler fell to us in the 1st, which is not happening, so we need to use that pick on defense and get our qb in the 2nd round. Omar Jacobs, Brodie Croyle, Charlie Whitehurst and a guy who is climbing draft boards Reggie Mcneal all should be available at that time and I like all of these guys. I sincerely hope whatever decision the team makes is the right one, and I will support whichever direction the team goes as far as a qb is concerned... I just hope we make the right decision on a qb for once.
whatta bout brees

Predaphin said:
Agreed. I couldnt agree more with the title of this thread.....

If the Bulger trade would have been offered about 3 years ago, then maybe id take that....but now he's been battered and is becoming injury prone....he's not worth a 1st round pick anymore....Id give a 4th rd pick at best....

and Culppeper....well Brad Johnson went in and did way better than he did with the same system and same players aorund him that culppeper had...need i say more???

Culpepper is inconsistent and likes to hold on to the ball way to damn looooong.

worth a 4th rd pick at best also

Just out of curiosity...what do you think Ricky is worth at best?

Originally posted by Lappy
ok,

Culpeppers troubles last year IMO was the fact that since he started playing in Minny he had Moss and for a while Moss and Carter. So week in and week out he saw the cover two defence. That's it. He's only seen for the most part one D.

The reason teams played that D was because if you leave Moss in single coverage you will lose and lose badly.

He starts the year minus Moss and teams could throw the kitchen sink at him and did. He couldn't make his reads fast enough, he couldn't find the open man and he threw INT's. A lot of them.

Then he gets hurt.......

So can he rebound from that injury and if he does can he figure out different D's???

I'll make the comparison to Tom Brady again, Brady played hurt all year in a new offense with an incredibly banged up team. Brady did his homework, he rose above the adversity, and he had the best year of his career in a makeshift offense where he did all the work by himself. Stop making excuses for Culpepper, he doesn't deserve them.

A lot of people here were really scorned by the AJ Feeley trade. It's time to let it go......it's okay to cry. You can't keep all that pain and anguish inside.

Okay feel better now??? Now we can talk logically about Daunte Culpepper or MArc Bulger. Because THEY AREN'T AJ FEELEY!!!!!!!!

We aren't talking of some unproven backup. We aren't talking about a has-been at the end of a career (like you could argue Favre or McNair are). We are talking about PRO BOWL QB's IN THEIR PRIME. These are the players who you go out and get if you can. A 29 yr old PRO BOWL QB for a 2nd round pick, or for Ricky Williams (whose trade value is likely no higher than a 2nd rnd pick) is a NO BRAINER!!

insomnia411 said:
I'll make the comparison to Tom Brady again, Brady played hurt all year in a new offense with an incredibly banged up team. Brady did his homework, he rose above the adversity, and he had the best year of his career in a makeshift offense where he did all the work by himself. Stop making excuses for Culpepper, he doesn't deserve them.

Brady wasnt in a new offense...

insomnia411 said:

I'm not making excusses for him. Not at all. I'm trying to figure out if the guys here that want him here really feel he can perform.

read my first post agian, I asked.

"So can he rebound from that injury and if he does can he figure out different D's??"

I personally don't know if he can.

***IMO Tom Brady's name shouldn't be in the same breath as Culpepper. That's apples and oranges baby.***

FinNasty said:
Brady wasnt in a new offense...
I was about to say the same thing. Just because a cordinator leaves a team dosnt mean they change offenses. In this case no new cordinator was actually even named, they played the same offense as the year before.

FinNasty said:
You also have to take into account that Culpepper was injured while playing in 2005. He had a strained MCL...

Also, the asking for a raise thing is just BS... He is just trying to force his way out of Minny... he doesnt really believe that he deserves more money...

Culpepper struggled in 2005 because:
- Strained MCL
- O-Line mess
- No WRs (Nate Burelson was hurt, and Koren Robinson was not even really playing yet)
- New offense

He is a Pro Bowler, and for a 2nd round pick... he has more upside than anyone you could draft in the 2nd. What QB could you get in the 2nd round? Croyle(who I like)... He has 2 bad knees and also has durability issues...

i agree with you 100%

FinNasty said:
You also have to take into account that Culpepper was injured while playing in 2005. He had a strained MCL...

Also, the asking for a raise thing is just BS... He is just trying to force his way out of Minny... he doesnt really believe that he deserves more money...

Culpepper struggled in 2005 because:
- Strained MCL
- O-Line mess
- No WRs (Nate Burelson was hurt, and Koren Robinson was not even really playing yet)
- New offense

He is a Pro Bowler, and for a 2nd round pick... he has more upside than anyone you could draft in the 2nd. What QB could you get in the 2nd round? Croyle(who I like)... He has 2 bad knees and also has durability issues...
I couldn't agree more! Very well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom