Damon signs with Yanks | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Damon signs with Yanks

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Your assuming that though man, it's not a fact. His upside to be better is definitely something I would have a lot of confidence in if I was a Red Sox fan but he only made 3 starts in his career and I think it's going to take a little more then that to convince me. But hey, won't be the first or last time we disagree that's for **** sure!

:lol: about the disagree part.

Watching Papelbon pitch, you're right he does have upside. He pitching in 17 games, 34 innings and had an ERa of 2.65, plus he pitched very well in the playoffs. I think the kid is going to be something special and it doesn't hurt that people say he's a young Roger Clemens. The kid has balls.

Yankee fans, you included, assume that Small and Chacon will be able to pitch like they did last year but their track records prove otherwise. People think Pavano will bounce back yet his career track proves otherwise because he hasn't been very good in his career, the same can be said about Wright, Clement and Arroyo too though.

We can all argue back and forth but the play the game on the field and that's the only way to see who's right or wrong.

Ray Finkle said:
:lol: about the disagree part.

Watching Papelbon pitch, you're right he does have upside. He pitching in 17 games, 34 innings and had an ERa of 2.65, plus he pitched very well in the playoffs. I think the kid is going to be something special and it doesn't hurt that people say he's a young Roger Clemens. The kid has balls.

Yankee fans, you included, assume that Small and Chacon will be able to pitch like they did last year but their track records prove otherwise. People think Pavano will bounce back yet his career track proves otherwise because he hasn't been very good in his career, the same can be said about Wright, Clement and Arroyo too though.

We can all argue back and forth but the play the game on the field and that's the only way to see who's right or wrong.

I couldn't have said it better myself, I'm just sticking up for my squad. Red Sox fans are making like they have a dominating rotation compared to us but that just isn't the truth. If anything it's a paper thin edge!

clear.gif

Look at homeboy's mug without that grizzly beard! :sidelol:

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I couldn't have said it better myself, I'm just sticking up for my squad. Red Sox fans are making like they have a dominating rotation compared to us but that just isn't the truth. If anything it's a paper thin edge!

As I'm just stickng up for my squad. Nothing wrong with that.

However in all honesty, whenever Red Sox fans hear Aaron Small's name we just have to laugh. I'm sure if he was on the Red Sox you'd feel the same way or at least know what I mean. In no way is the Red Sox pitching staff more dominate than the Yankees, hopefully I do think they have the edge. The Yankees have more ? than the Sox.

But like I said, they play the game on the field, if they didn't the Yankees would probably win the World Series every year. Man April can't come soon enough....

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
clear.gif

Look at homeboy's mug without that grizzly beard! :sidelol:

I love all the "he's selling out!" and "it's symbolism!" whining about Damon shaving his beard and cutting his hair (perpetrated, yet again, by the cosmically untalented Dan Shanoff). They have a dress code, for crying out loud, what's wrong with that? If I showed up to my office looking like Jesus, I'd probably get canned. And don't bother me with the "pro athletes operate in a different world" crap, I'm aware of that. But it's a business, and George the Tyrant would be the first to tell you that.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Here's the starting pitching for the Red Sox and Yankees heading into the 2006 season.

Yankees-Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, Wang, Shawn Chacon, Aaron Small.

Red Sox- Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, David Wells (who Bob Ryan said today on WFAN has demanded a trade and won't be there), Tim Wakefield, Bronson Arroyo, Matt Clement, and Josh Papelbon.

If you ask me, that's a wash and advantage to the Yankees if the Wells is in another uni next year, as Bob Ryan said he would be!

Wells, Arroyo, and Clement could all be gone very soon.

I don't know why Red Sox fans are upset with Damon leaving..........all we have heard is how good that MINOR LEAGUE SYSTEM is. Well, call them up and lets see how good they are! :cool:

Maybe I'm in the minority here, I don't know, but the media is KILLING the Red Sox for their lacadasical approach towards Damon, but I just don't see it. It's almost universally agreed upon that the guy is being vastly overpaid by the Yankees, and is there anyone who would have given him 5 years? I'd like to see that team step forward.

If the front office does an adequate job of filling the hole in Centerfield, I don't see how the Red Sox are worse off heading into 2006. I mean ANYONE who watched this team last year could clearly see the lack of production they were recieving at both Shortstop and 1st Base. Ironically, those two spots happen to be two of the three major holes in this lineup. Is there anyone here who honestly believes the production this year can be any worse than the production we recieved last year from those positions? I mean Renteria only led the Majors in Errors last season and he wasn't exactly a force at the plate (sub .750 OPS). Millar was horrendous as well (.753 OPS) which is downright pathetic for a 1st Baseman.

Now I'm not saying that we are going to find anyone out there who is going to be able to match the offensive production that Damon almost surely would have given us from the leadoff spot. But a loss of production in CF would be hidden by improvements at 2nd Base, 1st Base, 3rd Base (Hopefully. I think Lowell is going to bounce back rather nicely this season) and Shortstop.

All this doom and gloom from the media seems to be overblown, the Red Sox will be fine.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Maybe I'm in the minority here, I don't know, but the media is KILLING the Red Sox for their lacadasical approach towards Damon, but I just don't see it. It's almost universally agreed upon that the guy is being vastly overpaid by the Yankees, and is there anyone who would have given him 5 years? I'd like to see that team step forward.

If the front office does an adequate job of filling the hole in Centerfield, I don't see how the Red Sox are worse off heading into 2006. I mean ANYONE who watched this team last year could clearly see the lack of production they were recieving at both Shortstop and 1st Base. Ironically, those two spots happen to be two of the three major holes in this lineup. Is there anyone here who honestly believes the production this year can be any worse than the production we recieved last year from those positions? I mean Renteria only led the Majors in Errors last season and he wasn't exactly a force at the plate (sub .750 OPS). Millar was horrendous as well (.753 OPS) which is downright pathetic for a 1st Baseman.

Now I'm not saying that we are going to find anyone out there who is going to be able to match the offensive production that Damon almost surely would have given us from the leadoff spot. But a loss of production in CF would be hidden by improvements at 2nd Base, 1st Base, 3rd Base (Hopefully. I think Lowell is going to bounce back rather nicely this season) and Shortstop.

All this doom and gloom from the media seems to be overblown, the Red Sox will be fine.

That's funny, Buster Olney said the Yankees got him at a bargain, especially considering that J.D. Drew got 5 years 55 million from the Dodgers last year!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
That's funny, Buster Olney said the Yankees got him at a bargain, especially considering that J.D. Drew got 5 years 55 million from the Dodgers last year!

Buster Olney was a former Yankee beat writer. He is to the Yankees what Peter Gammons is to the Red Sox. When it involves the Yankees, you can throw out his opinion because it's clearly slanted.

Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News even wrote an article on the Damon signing, I'll find it and paste the key points in my next post.

I happen to like Mike Lupica alot, I think he's a great columnist and here is his take on the Johnny Damon signing..

Mike Lupica said:
The story here, in bold type, is that despite all the talk about saving money and getting younger, it was business as usual last night for the Yankees when they decided to pay Damon $52 million to play baseball for them over the next four years.

It is exactly what they do. They pay a ridiculous amount of money for the best guy out there. Damon is actually a perfect age for them, 32, because everybody in the starting lineup other than Robinson Cano, is over 30.

The idea that this is some part of prudent financial plan because they wouldn't go to seven years for Damon is pretty funny. Maybe somebody else out there was going to offer more than $50 million for Johnny Damon at this point in his career, but I'd like to know which team that is. It sure wasn't the Red Sox, and they've always liked Damon a lot, considered him a good player and good soldier and terrific guy in the clubhouse.

In the winter when the Yankees overpaid for Hideki Matsui they now overpay for Johnny Damon. Only here is $52 million supposed to be viewed as some kind of bargain, as though Cashman signed his new center fielder out of a Christmas Club account.

This is a good player for the Yankees, but a much better example of business as usual. Carpe diem, as they say in Latin. Seize the day. Or Damon, in this case.

Pretty interesting stuff. But of course Buster thinks the Yankees got a steal at 13 million a year.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/376614p-319988c.html

Your just in denial. Your bitter and your trying anyway you can to convince yourself the Red Sox are better off without Johnny. I could care less what Lupica says, he's a Yankee hater. Every article he's ever written about the Yankees is negative. Keep trying to convince yourself Johnny Damon got paid to much, ect, ect, I could care less. It doens't change the fact that Georgie stole the HEART of your team and the face of your franchise, and once again you Red Sox fans are left with egg on your faces!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Your just in denial. Your bitter and your trying anyway you can to convince yourself the Red Sox are better off without Johnny. I could care less what Lupica says, he's a Yankee hater. Every article he's ever written about the Yankees is negative. Keep trying to convince yourself Johnny Damon got paid to much, ect, ect, I could care less. It doens't change the fact that Georgie stole the HEART of your team and the face of your franchise, and once again you Red Sox fans are left with egg on your faces!

:sidelol:

Lupica is a Yankee hater? Maybe that's why I like him so much. Georgie stole the heart of our team? Last time I checked, Big Papi was still on the Red Sox roster.

I'm not trying to convince myself we're better off, yet. If the front office makes a few good moves, why can't we be better off without Damon?

13 million is a bargain? Only from you dude, that's asinine. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom