Damon signs with Yanks | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Damon signs with Yanks

MikeO said:
The bullpen is looking vastly improved for the Yanks. And Boston has yet to improve their pen. You have to figure with Damon and Manny OUT in Boston they won't score as many runs as they did last year.......and if they don't improve that bullpen ASAP then its gonna be a long year in Fenway.

I keep checking to see where Manny was traded but I haven't seen it yet.. And when you are the top (900+ runs scored the last 2 years) its hard to go anywhere but down.

MikeO said:
The bullpen is looking vastly improved for the Yanks. And Boston has yet to improve their pen. You have to figure with Damon and Manny OUT in Boston they won't score as many runs as they did last year.......and if they don't improve that bullpen ASAP then its gonna be a long year in Fenway.

Boston didn't go anything to improve their pen? Mike have you paid attention to anything going on that not the Yankees this offseason? The Sox added Mota, Van Burden, Rudy Saenez to their pen. I know I know big deal huh? Well it is an upgrade over their pen last year. However in my opinion I think Foulke will be back to form (after all he sucks everyother year) and also I think Mota now back with Dave Wallace who he worked with in LAD could regain form. Foulke and Mota are the keys to the pen. If healthy and back to form Mota > Farnsworth. Add in either Bronson Arroyo (if he's not traded) and/or Jonathan Papelbon with Timlin the bullpen is much improved. Plus let's say one of those guys gets hurt, the Sox will call up Manny Delcarmen or Craig Hansen. If Farnsworth gets hurt punching a wall the Yankees will call up Ramiro Mendoza.

MikeO said:
If you can wait till July you will get him cheap. Problem is Boston might be 15 out by July and the move might not be needed.

:sidelol:

Are you really that delusional?

MikeO said:
If you can wait till July you will get him cheap. Problem is Boston might be 15 out by July and the move might not be needed.

Hey last time Boston was 15 games out of 1st in July was 2004. I think we all know what happened that year, I know you haven't forgotten ;)

MikeO said:
Bottom line though.....From starters, to middle relief, to closer.......the Yanks have the best pitching in the AL East.

Boston has no bullpen or closer and are hoping Schilling can return to his old form. He MIGHT be washed up. Baltimore has nothing. Tampa has nothing. Toronto has a little pitching but nothing special and not as good as the Yanks pitching.

The Yankees have the best pitching in the AL East? Are you drunk? The Yankees have the same team that they had last year minus Gordon plus Farnworth (I won't add in Dotel because he won't be ready to pitch until May/June plus he's injuried so who knows what you can get). The Yankees have the best closer in baseball no doubt about it. However the Yankees didn't upgrade their rotation while two teams (Blue Jays and Red Sox) have.

I talked about Boston's pen already so I won't talk about it again but you talk about Schilling being washed up but what about Randy Johnson or Mussina? Last time Johnson pitched a game he leave after the 4th inning in a playoff game. Didn't the Yankees sign him to be a big game pitcher?

Blue Jays have the BEST starter in the AL East, maybe in the AL, in Halladay. Burnett could turn into something special or could turn into a Carl Pavano. Lilly is a decent 3rd or 4th pitcher and Gustavo Chacan (spelling?) pitched very well in his rookie year and could turn into a good pitcher. I think you under estimate other teams.

just let them blow themselves out of hot air... Yankee fans always see their lineup through rose-colored glasses, and ours through dirty glasses. ... The fact is, the Spanks vastly underperformed last season, and I feel there are serious "harmony" issues in that clubhouse.... They'll score a lot of runs, but theirs is NOT a championship pitching staff...

They now have the best leadoff hitter in baseball, and we lost him... fine...

What will be their excuse this year when they get swept some weekend by the Royals, lose out the season series to Tampa, scratch and claw to make the playoffs, and get embarrassed against a team with half their payroll?... When is enough enough for George? 300 million? 400 million? Heck, half a billion in 2007? Why not? Just keep throwing more money into it, that's GOTTA be the answer... Best of luck George... watch that blood pressure...

PressCoverage said:
When is enough enough for George? 300 million? 400 million? Heck, half a billion in 2007? Why not? Just keep throwing more money into it, that's GOTTA be the answer... Best of luck George... watch that blood pressure...

How about spending more than $1 billion in player payroll since 2000 and winning 0 championships?

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I wonder how much money the Red Sox spent in 86 years to win one championship?

:lol: That was a good one.

However the Red Sox never spend $200 million in a single season. The Yankee F.O. have clearly been in a panic mode since 2001. It shows with all the money they have been throwing around since then.

Anyways man, I don't understand why everyone's still crying the Yankees foul because of how much they spend. It's not gonna change today, tomorrow, or anytime soon, so learn to accept it and stop crying like babies. The Yankees will continue to spend whether they win or not, it's how they work and it's been that way since they bought Babe Ruth. Everyone get over it and worry about your own teams, now what the Yankees are doing.

As for the Johnny Damon signing, I don't understand how anyone can dispute it being a good signing. He's a GREAT lead-off hitter, he's a solid leader, and he hustles his a$$ off. Two guys made me cringe when they came up in big spots against the Yankees. Papi and Damon. His arm leaves more then a lot to be desired but it's hard to argue any other part of his game. I hate Damon (or shall I say hated Damon when he was on the Red Sox) but this is a major major loss for the Red Sox whether they want to admit it or not. As far as what the Yankees paid him, I could care less, it's not my money. I hate all these people saying "oh, they paid to much for him I would never pay that", as if you just spent the money or actually have the option to spend that. The Yankees needed a Centerfielder and lead-off hitter and killed two birds with one stone. This is a good signing and it doesn't make the Yankees a lock to win anything but it brightens the chances. Johnny Damon has been strong these last coupe of years and seems to be getting better. He's averaged 186 hits a year in his career and with Sheff, Giambi, A-Rod, ect, ect, behind him he'll be scoring a lot of runs too. This is a major loss for the Red Sox and a major plus for the Yankees. It doesn't guarantee anything but as I said before, it makes us a better team!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
This is a major loss for the Red Sox and a major plus for the Yankees. It doesn't guarantee anything but as I said before, it makes us a better team!

No one is debating this, the guy is one of the best leadoff hitters in the game
(Remains to be seen how much he's going to miss Friendly Fenway, well its not going to be friendly to him anymore, as far as offensive production is concerned). But your pitching still sucks, and that will be your downfall.

If the Red Sox go out and get Torii Hunter or Coco Crisp, it will soften the blow immensly. And of course, Schilling and Beckett at the top of the rotation looks pretty damn good.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
As far as what the Yankees paid him, I could care less, it's not my money.

and so there, in a nutshell, is the mantra of the Yankee fan... thank you for so blatantly showing the true colors...

so you hated him once, but now you love him... i see... it's just that you're a mercenary fan, just like your mercenary team... of course it's easy to suggest everyone else is "just crying" when YOUR team is the very one that outspends everyone... as if that's not a HUGE advantage for luring talent in professional sports...

Yankee fans will just never get it... they're like that bratty kid on the playground who points and laughs from behind the big bully of the school...

and their chief response? "well, you guys spent a LOT also"... like a broken record... yeah, we spent, in a desperate attempt to keep up... and we still fell far far short, in terms of payroll... give the Boston Red Sox that extra 100 million, and you don't sniff the division title... i don't like the "arms race" of skyrocketing salaries in baseball at all... i don't even like the Red Sox spending $140M...

baseball NEEDS A SALARY CAP!! it's that simple... would certainly make the draft matter once again... because nowadays, it doesn't...

I am not a Red Sox or Yankees fan, but it seems to me that Johnny Damon spit in the Red Sox fan's faces with this move. This would be like Magic Johnson putting on a Celtics uniform (during his day), or Dan Marino putting on a Jets uniform. Some things you just don't do. I am sure Johnny could have made $13 million a year elsewhere, and don't give me that crap about how he wanted to play for George. What he did was wrong.

PressCoverage said:
and so there, in a nutshell, is the mantra of the Yankee fan... thank you for so blatantly showing the true colors...

so you hated him once, but now you love him... i see... it's just that you're a mercenary fan, just like your mercenary team... of course it's easy to suggest everyone else is "just crying" when YOUR team is the very one that outspends everyone... as if that's not a HUGE advantage for luring talent in professional sports...

Yankee fans will just never get it... they're like that bratty kid on the playground who points and laughs from behind the big bully of the school...

and their chief response? "well, you guys spent a LOT also"... like a broken record... yeah, we spent, in a desperate attempt to keep up... and we still fell far far short, in terms of payroll... give the Boston Red Sox that extra 100 million, and you don't sniff the division title... i don't like the "arms race" of skyrocketing salaries in baseball at all... i don't even like the Red Sox spending $140M...

baseball NEEDS A SALARY CAP!! it's that simple... would certainly make the draft matter once again... because nowadays, it doesn't...

:cry: :cry:

Cry me a river Justin Timberlake!

Anyways, onto Basbeall related news now that Presscoverage has stopped crying.

Buster Olney has reported that the Yankees and Bernie have agreed on a one year deal. Also Wade Miller is a free-agent, he wasn't offered a contract by midnight last night!

Back
Top Bottom