Dan Marino ranked #16 in a list... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Marino ranked #16 in a list...

TerryTate

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
voted on by millions of americans for the best athletes in the past 25 years, they are ranking 26 overall!!!

Dan the Man!!!

dont know if anyone posted this....if they did, sorry...

I saw this on ESPN' program "Then and Now" last night. I was digging it until I saw Elway at #14 and then I lost all repsect for it. No way Elway was better than Dan. Everyone says "He won the ring" but that is BS. Super Bowls are team achievements. Look how long it took until he got a team around him. That's like saying Dilfer is better than Dan because he has a ring. Please. Rings are team success and records are individual accomplishments, and there is one best ever. Dan the Man Marino.

Is Barry Sanders any less of a stud because he never won a SB? In fact I think you can make an argument that Barry and Dan are BETTER than the others ebcause the accomplished their numbers with inferior help.

Elway bites. Dan is God.

Calm down they're talking athlete's, and yes Elways was a better athlete than Marino.

Championships are team achievements. The only thing holding back Dan from most people thinking he was the greatest QB ever is that he didn't win a Super Bowl. Football is a team sport, and one player can't win a Super Bowl for a whole team. It is a shame that he never won one but people shouldn't say that he isn't great because he never won a title.

iceblizzard69 said:
Championships are team achievements. The only thing holding back Dan from most people thinking he was the greatest QB ever is that he didn't win a Super Bowl. Football is a team sport, and one player can't win a Super Bowl for a whole team. It is a shame that he never won one but people shouldn't say that he isn't great because he never won a title.

By the same token, one player can't lose a SB for you..ie. Jay Fielder...but if you read this board, your theory has no ground to stand on..

Elway is up there with Dan IMO. Great player. They rank right at the top of the mountain.

dolphan39 said:
they mean player. Ridiculous to say Elway is better than Dan because his teams were better, but we've been there b4

I cannot find link anywhere http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn25/index :(

Terry Tate wrote ATHLETE not PLAYER, if it would have stated NFL PLAYER then I would agree that Dan was a better QB, but Elway was a better ATHLETE. It's not even an arguement and it's not a ridiculous statement.

why is Elway a better athlete and Dan a better player??

Just like McNabb is a better athlete than Favre. But Favre is a better overall player.

What separates Dan from any other football player (and why he should be tops on any football list) was his force of will. Sure he had the quickest release, the uncanny accuracy, the great decision making, but it was his force of will. That intangible that he had - a presence that I haven't seen with any other player ever. Elway had a cannon for an arm and was a good QB, but Marino was the undeniable leader. It was his game every game he played in. Everyone who had the pleasure of watching Dan over his career knows what I'm talking about. It was a different element involved when Dan was under center. A command.

Phin19 said:
why is Elway a better athlete and Dan a better player??

Elway's running ability alone made him a better athlete, people don't need to get so upset over this, any time someone says Dan wasn't the best at something people get defensive. :rolleyes:
Dan IMO was a better QB because of his ability to make the most out of what he had around him. Elway couldn't do what Dan did when the talent level in Denver dropped off.
Dan had quick feet early on in his career but Elway could flat out run when he needed to. Dan didn't need to he had a quick release and great accuracy.

Elways athleticism allowed him to take off running when the heat was on.
Dan stood in there and played QB.
That's how I see the difference.

miamirw said:
Just like McNabb is a better athlete than Favre. But Favre is a better overall player.

What separates Dan from any other football player (and why he should be tops on any football list) was his force of will. Sure he had the quickest release, the uncanny accuracy, the great decision making, but it was his force of will. That intangible that he had - a presence that I haven't seen with any other player ever. Elway had a cannon for an arm and was a good QB, but Marino was the undeniable leader. It was his game every game he played in. Everyone who had the pleasure of watching Dan over his career knows what I'm talking about. It was a different element involved when Dan was under center. A command.

Excellent

First of all, the comment about Fiedler is flawed. I have never seen anyone blame Jay SOLEY for the teams lack of a SB. In fact I have seen every single person blame the OLine and also the defense. We also blame Jay for his portion which is plenty. The problem is you Fielder Huggers give him a free pass because he is likable and gutsy. Get over it. We cut the line for being average and Jay is no better at his job.

As far as Elway goes. who says running is the deciding factor? The other skills Dan has are enough superior that it out weighs the running element. Especially when you consider the value of the various skills to the position. Running is the least valuabel to the QB job.

Back
Top Bottom