Dan Marino ranked #16 in a list... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Marino ranked #16 in a list...

CirclingWagons said:
Elway is a ahead of Marino on that list for 2 reasons...

Well neither of them can be superbowl, because that would be stupid.

MDFINFAN said:
By the same token, one player can't lose a SB for you..ie. Jay Fielder...but if you read this board, your theory has no ground to stand on..
There might be a few Giants' fans who would disagree. Remember Sehorn letting ..what was it...three? ...touchdowns go down while he was lagging back there somewhere instead of giving the coverage he had become known for. (granted, he had been injured and has never really overcome that knee problem)

CW

Who was the better running back Barry Sanders or Antwoin Smith?

Smith is accordign to your philosophy because Barry has no ring.

That also makes Dilfer better than:

Marino
Fouts
Peyton Manning
McNabb

SB is about team. Thats why Marino didn't win one because the team wasn't good enough, it was why Elway failed for many years ebcause the team was not good enough, and it is why Dilfer did win is because the team was good enough.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Well neither of them can be superbowl, because that would be stupid.
according to YOU.

I'm not saying Dilfer should be ahead of Marino because he has a ring, but Elway was great in his career AND led his team to 5 superbowls and won 2.

If fans have to choose between 2 great qb's, you better believe they'll choose the one with a ring

fin-atic said:
CW

Who was the better running back Barry Sanders or Antwoin Smith?

Smith is accordign to your philosophy because Barry has no ring.

That also makes Dilfer better than:

Marino
Fouts
Peyton Manning
McNabb

SB is about team. Thats why Marino didn't win one because the team wasn't good enough, it was why Elway failed for many years ebcause the team was not good enough, and it is why Dilfer did win is because the team was good enough.

lmao, read below...I knew that "dilfer" response was coming so i answered it

fin-atic said:
As far as Elway goes. who says running is the deciding factor? The other skills Dan has are enough superior that it out weighs the running element. Especially when you consider the value of the various skills to the position. Running is the least valuabel to the QB job.

You just backed up my arguement, thanks.

That's why Marino is a better QB.

It's hillarious, I write, "Elway is a better athlete" and what people read is, "Elway is a better QB" and that's all they see.

The question that TT put up was "Top 25 ATHLETES" not football players, not QBs, but athletes in general, there wasn't a link provided so I assumed he meant overall ATHLETE.
And in my opinion Elway is more athletic, Not a better QB.

IT was top 25 athletes of the past 25 years....and keep in mind, the average fan doesnt spend hours on end discussing stuff like this in forums....so they dont really know the difference between "athlete" and "player", and it was the votes of AVERAGE fans, millions of them, that got dan up to 16, and the reason why montana and elway were ahead was because they were more popular because of the ring, this was not voted on by sportswriters...they are having their own seperate thing i believe....and i saw that program real late last night. Why are the fans getting so much love from ESPN...because ESPN deemed this year "The Year of the FAN".....

Hellion said:
You just backed up my arguement, thanks.

That's why Marino is a better QB.

It's hillarious, I write, "Elway is a better athlete" and what people read is, "Elway is a better QB" and that's all they see.

The question that TT put up was "Top 25 ATHLETES" not football players, not QBs, but athletes in general, there wasn't a link provided so I assumed he meant overall ATHLETE.
And in my opinion Elway is more athletic, Not a better QB.

I think you are not getting my point. What make Elway more athletic? WHo determines that running is the defining skill? Because it is the only athletic skill he had better than Dan. Additionally Dan was better in many other attributes both physical and mental. For instance there are plenty of athletes in golf who rely on fine motor skills as athletic ability. I think Dan was a better athlete and a better QB.

MDFINFAN said:
By the same token, one player can't lose a SB for you..ie. Jay Fielder...but if you read this board, your theory has no ground to stand on..

Never give up do you! :roflmao:
You guys bring on all the Fiedler debate anytime you can.
This thread has absolutely nothing to do with Jay yet you have to bring it up.

It's OK MD, go give your Fee Fee bobble head doll a hug. :cry:

juniorseau55 said:
That list is horribly composed.... its mostly based on achievements...

Results are how people are judged. It may not always be fair but that is the way the world works.

As for the Marino~Elway debate.
Look both these guys were great players at QB.
You could rank either one ahead or behind the other.
I'd take either one of them.

Dan was the greatest passer but I think Elway held the edge in overall QB skills.

CirclingWagons said:
Elway is a ahead of Marino on that list for 2 reasons...

1) The voting was held at the same time as "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy".

2) Jim Kelly and the Bills kept ol Dano from appearing in more than one bowl.

:roflmao:

dolphan39 said:
they mean player. Ridiculous to say Elway is better than Dan because his teams were better, but we've been there b4

I cannot find link anywhere http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn25/index :(
Marino was better than elway, elway was just on a better team! Elway played one more year than dan, and he still isnt close to having the alltime yards record in a career, marino has many records that may never be broken.
if you think elway is better than dan, then name a record that he has?

Athletic ability doesn't have anything to do with it, it's about how much they've accomplished on the field. John Elway being faster than Dan Marino has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it... If that was the case why would either of them be on a top 25 list? They say "athlete" because if they said "player", that wouldn't really apply to Nascar drivers, etc.

Back
Top Bottom