Daniel Jeremiah mock 4.0 4/4/17 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Daniel Jeremiah mock 4.0 4/4/17

I'm taking him as a Safety not a Linebacker. Clearly he has ball skills, he's a natural on the field, interceptions are not the only indicator.

I like him...He's cool. Miami's slow defense could use some Peppers spark.

One tipped ball that led to his only career interception and he "clearly" has ball skills? That's . . . interesting. And yes, takeaways (esp. INTs) are the indicator for a secondary player in having ball skills.

So barring the 5-6 failures at LB, what did you like for the rest of him as a safety? :idk:

One tipped ball that led to his only career interception and he "clearly" has ball skills? That's . . . interesting. And yes, takeaways (esp. INTs) are the indicator for a secondary player in having ball skills.

So barring the 5

he's one of the most dynamic returners in college, he can play offense, I'm pretty comfortable with his ball skills.

I like his speed, toughness and football moxie/instincts

he's one of the most dynamic returners in college, he can play offense, I'm pretty comfortable with his ball skills.

I like his speed, toughness and football moxie/instincts

Bingo. Now you're getting it. He's not worth of an early round selection. Only because of his return skills is he a consideration of a 3rd rd pick.

Bingo. Now you're getting it. He's not worth of an early round selection. Only because of his return skills is he a consideration of a 3rd rd pick.

From the moment I first heard the buzz about Peppers, it seemed strange. If he's really as good as the hype makes it seem, there's no way he ever makes it out of the top 10, and the mocks have him later than that. I even saw one where he was mocked after 22. I don't want to draft a FS in the first round who needs to be taught how to play FS. I want him to have ball skills coming into the league, and getting engulfed by blockers is a big red flag. Run support is part of the job, too. If you can't do that effectively, that's a big liability.

:lol:

My favorite are the 4:01, 4:07, 5:15, 5:41, and 6:14 marks when he pretends to play LB. Zero ball skills and hovers over the piles like Kiko Alonso. Throw me a bone when you find a single play that displays this "dynamic" defender you claim.

[video=youtube;qUJeUXpo_Ik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUJeUXpo_Ik[/video]

Oh sh*t. He really does look like Kiko on some of those run plays. :lol:

My favorite are the 4:01, 4:07, 5:15, 5:41, and 6:14 marks when he pretends to play LB. Zero ball skills and hovers over the piles like Kiko Alonso. Throw me a bone when you find a single play that displays this "dynamic" defender you claim.

I mean in your logic, unless a linebacker is the equivalent of Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis, they have no business being on the field. So I'm taking your assessment of peppers with a grain of salt. And when I say grain, I mean a giant ****ing boulder.

I mean in your logic, unless a linebacker is the equivalent of Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis, they have no business being on the field. So I'm taking your assessment of peppers with a grain of salt. And when I say grain, I mean a giant ****ing boulder.

Piss off. If you paid attention instead of mouthing off you'd see I've compared him on almost every occasion to Cardinals S/LB hybrid Duane Bucannon who is much more physical than Peppers and has better ball skills.

If you're drafting Peppers your doing it based on what he can become more than what he is right now.

Mike Mayock must feel that way to put him ahead of Adams and Hooker atop his safety list. Mayock's best work IMO is in evaluating defensive backs so he must think that Peppers weaknesses are coachable. Adams and Hooker are both clearly better right now.

One thing Peppers is not is a linebacker. I don't think any NFL team views him that way. What he is is extremely athletic and someone who can turn the game around, right now, with his kick return ability. Can he become more than that? That is really the question.

As far as Miami goes, I think he is very high on the teams' wish list at #22 if he makes it there. Guess we'll find out pretty soon.

Man, I thought draft highlight vids were supposed to have, you know, highlights in them. :lol:

When he wasn't ineffectively blitzing he was miscovering a RB route out of the backfield, getting blocked out of the play, or just standing over the pile looking like a lost puppy.

He's just not a good defender. He could eventually be one I guess but I don't think he'd help you very much in his first season. You don't draft that in the first or second rounds. Those picks need to be on guys that could start for you in their first seasons.

Man, I thought draft highlight vids were supposed to have, you know, highlights in them. :lol:

When he wasn't ineffectively blitzing he was miscovering a RB route out of the backfield, getting blocked out of the play, or just standing over the pile looking like a lost puppy.

He's just not a good defender. He could eventually be one I guess but I don't think he'd help you very much in his first season. You don't draft that in the first or second rounds. Those picks need to be on guys that could start for you in their first seasons.

I've seen Hooker look lost, like a deer in headlights. Everyone has tape.

I don't think Peppers is elite but sometimes it's good to gamble on potential. Sometimes you take a tackle and move him to guard. Just football...

Why Jabrill Peppers isn’t an NFL Linebacker

There has been a lot of discussion over where Michigan’s Jabrill Peppers should play in the NFL. Some have envisioned a safety role for him, others view him as a linebacker. Peppers’s college film reveals traits that show he is poorly suited for a linebacker role in the pros. One major issue Peppers encounters is in the run game, where blockers cause him great difficulty.

Too often, Peppers gets knocked back on initial contact with a blocker. Furthermore, he is often blocked downfield. He is overly reliant on his athleticism to bypass blocks, rather than having a nuanced, developed move. He also demonstrates poor awareness of potential blocks, at times seeming surprised when someone tries to take him on. The slapping away of hands he tried was mainly ineffective, particularly against better opposition.

. . .

Advocates of Peppers at linebacker would perhaps point towards his size as an area to defend his underwhelming block shedding. While this does indeed limit his ability to shed blockers in the run game, it is not the sole factor. Peppers has no effective move, and no real keenness to engage blockers. Deone Bucannon, when coming out of Washington State, was violent against blockers and had moves to shed them. This was a large reason for the success of his transition from safety to moneybacker.

It is often said that some linebackers need to be kept ‘clean’ in the run game to be at their best. Peppers would have to be kept clean at all times to function as a linebacker, and that is not feasible. Not being able to deal with an oncoming blocker is a damning trait for his prospects as a linebacker. There are more, which you can find in the Inside the Pylon Draft Guide. Peppers will need to play some form of safety in the NFL.

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2017-nfl-draft/2017/04/05/jabrill-peppers-nfl-linebacker/

You draft Peppers you also get a legitimate threat to return a KO or punt each time he drops back. Good bye Jakeem Grant and take a seat Jarvis Landry.

Is that a good reason to draft this guy in round 1, though? Good kick returns?

Will his family come along, too? :lol:

I haven't watched enough of this guy to say, but if we take a defensive player, I hope its because hes an absolute stud on defense. Picks, forced fumbles, helps defend the run. Not really concerned about kick returns.

Personally, I think Drake should be our return man.

I'm not sure about Peppers, he seems to be projected on his athletic ability alone. I would put a lot of stock into what Jim Harbough says about him. He knows if the can play or not.

Back
Top Bottom