Dante Culpepper - Future Hall of Famer or Washed-Out?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rich, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Rich

Rich Seasoned Veteran

Manning - 144 games, 37,000 yards(257/game), 139 ints (.97 ints per game)(1.91 TD/game)
    Brady - 94 games started, 21,000 yards(223/game), 78 ints (.83 ints per game)(1.56 TD/game)
    Marino, 240 games, 61,361 yards(256/game), 252 ints (1.05 ints per game)(1.75 TD/game)
    Culpepper - 84 games, 21,000 yards(250/game), 89 ints (1.06 ints per game)(1.63 TD/game)
    Harrington - 66 games, 12,478 yards(189/game), 77 ints (1.17 ints per game)(1.09 TD/game)

Culpepper doesn't throw a whole lot of interceptions. He has a pretty good TD/int ratio. He has pretty good yards/game. Yards per attempt is 7.7, like Marino.

If you were to add Culpepper's 2,500 rushing yards and 30 TD's rushing... He looks pretty darn good statistically. (280 yards/game and 1.99 TD's/game)

Unrelated... Manning is on pace to match Marino's stats. Can he stay healthy for another 6 seasons?

2. FemaleFinFan

FemaleFinFan Go G-Men!

Why can't he be both?

3. PhinfanUK

PhinfanUK A True Fan

Don't waste your breath man, most people on here will just ignore your facts.

4. PBFloyd

PBFloyd Lone Gunman

DC is washed up, his ability to run is gone and he has to rely on his ability to only throw the ball.

Satan screwed up and should of got Bree's :tantrum:

5. Transcendental

Transcendental Prepare for Glory!

Here we go again..........yet another person on here trying to convince us about Daunte Culpepper......... this forum is like a broken record sometimes.

6. Rich

Rich Seasoned Veteran

Brees - 227 YPG, 1.41 TD/Game, .865 int/game
    Brees(2006) - 276 YPG, 1.63 TD/Game, .69 int/game
    Except for this year, Culpepper is statistically better than Brees.

7. go_fins

go_fins Pro Bowler

And how do these great stats help the Dolphins win more games? He sucked when he played at the beginning of the year and then he just sat collecting paychecks. Here are some other facts: He's sucked the last two years and hasn't done anything for this team except generate pure hype.

8. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Seasoned Veteran

Not sure how we can even entertain this idea at this piont ...

Culpepper would have to 'double' his current stats to be even considered ... and at this point, that is such a reach .... 'could' it happen - sure ... and for our sake, I hope it does --- but again, he'd need another solid 6 years of performance to even be considered !!

9. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG ~LACUNA LEGIONS~

Bottom Line : Culpepper was Saban's mistake. Cameron shouldn't make it his too. New coach, new QB, move on....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

10. PBFloyd

PBFloyd Lone Gunman

You are leaving out the fact that his prior stats were not gained by solely throwing the ball and I would say DC ran the ball more then 60% of the time before the injury. Now that he can no longer run he is no good.

11. Rich

Rich Seasoned Veteran

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133263

If you add Culpeppers rushing yards into his passing numbers... Culpepper is STATISTICALLY the greatest QB in NFL History.

Shouldn't we put him through another training camp and see what he can do, before throwing him in the trash? Is it fair to judge an injured player?

"DC ran the ball more then 60% of the time before the injury."
    --464 rushes, 2741 passes - 14.5% rushes (5.5 rushes/game - 30 yards/game)

12. Transcendental

AMEN to that!

13. PhInAtIc_99_54

PhInAtIc_99_54 New Jerseys Proudest Fins Fan

I dont think culpepper will be either, a hall of famer, or washed out just yet. I think culpepper still has a chance to go down in history as a winning qb. If hes able to work on his knee this offseason, that gives him a good chance to lead this team.

14. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Huh? What are you talking about? No QB can throw for more than 3,000 yards in a season if he ran 60% of the time? If you are going to playa hate atleast do it with the right stats and not something you made up.

15. PBFloyd

PBFloyd Lone Gunman

You are correct if you factor in his rushing yards.

Also you just answered my next question, which is since he is a ground based QB that is only good b/c he can work magic by scrambling (not passing) then why should we take the chance of wasting another season by giving him a fair shot.

If Ronnie Brown had an ACL tear do you think the Dolphins would keep him, heck no they would trade or cut him very fast because runners don't recover from ACL's, and the few that do always re-injure them.

DC was a great QB because of his rushing abilities not b/c of his passing skills, if we give him a shot then other QB's that don't want to compete and be part of a QB controversy are not going to think of Miami as an option.

16. Transcendental

Stats do not tell us he's the greatest in history. They only tell us that he had some pretty good regular season games. That's it. Let's not stretch the truth here.

17. PhinfanUK

PhinfanUK A True Fan

60% of the time? Show me that stat please. How about 2471 career pass attempts against 464 career rushing attempts? What the hell are you talking about?

18. finserg

finserg FinHeaven VIP

^ yea that give him the first 2 games ...before we send him packing

19. PBFloyd

PBFloyd Lone Gunman

He only managed to throw the ball because the opposing D could not effectvily pass rush him because he was good at scrambling.

Regardless of his passing yards he still ran the ball 60% of the time. If his arm is so good then what happened this year?

20. PBFloyd

PBFloyd Lone Gunman

When I say 60% I include scrambling behind the line of scrimage, don't believe me then watch one of his old Minnesota games and count up how many times he has to dance around in order to throw the ball. He can't just line up and throw like a normal QB.

21. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

I'm going to repeat myself here. Huh? What are you talking about? The most he has ever run in a season was 106 times. That same season he threw 549 times. If that's 60% run-to-pass then you are using some new kind of math.

What happened this year? Too many things to going into but bottom line is...he was not ready. Physically and mentally.

22. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

You mean like Drew Bledsoe? If you are including scrambling in your percentage then Dan Marino scrambled just as much as Daunte. And we all know Dan Mariono is not considered a scrambling quarterback.

23. Rich

Rich Seasoned Veteran

24. PyroDOLFAN

PyroDOLFAN Seasoned Veteran Donator

CP played 10 less games than Brady and still has the same amount of yards. So if he ran 60% of the time imagine what his stats could be if he threw it 60% of the time. And I know Brady doesn't run.:rolleyes2

25. PBFloyd

PBFloyd Lone Gunman

We could debate this all year the FACT is that DC during the course of his career at Minnesota, which I had to watch b/c my girl was a Vikings fan, he could not line up stay in the pocket and throw the ball. He always had to run up to the line and throw or dance around and throw the ball, which were all short 5-10 yard passes, the Vikings RB's and WR's deserve the real credit for gaining the extra yardage for DC.

I say he sucks, is washed up and never really had a good passing arm, if ya'll want to defend him then go for it. Just expect a BIG I told you so when he is cut from the team.
    :shakeno:

26. Rich

Rich Seasoned Veteran

Name 5 guys playing today with better passing arms.

* Culpepper + rushing - 280 yards/game, 1.99 TD's/game, 1.06 ints per game
    Kurt Warner - 278 passing/game, 1.69 TD/game, 1.12 ints per game
    Marc Bulger - 271 passing/game, 1.58 TD/game, .98 ints per game
    Culpepper - 250 passing/game, 1.63 TD/game, 1.06 ints per game
    Brett Favre - 243 Passing/game, 1.75 TD/game, 1.15 int/game
    Steve Young - 231.6 Passing/game, 1.62 TD/game, .75 int/game

I believe 250 passing/game is #5 all-time behind Warner, Bulger, Manning and Marino. It's interesting to see Warner and Bulger are so good.

27. ohiobryan

ohiobryan Well-Known Member

culpepper will be the comeback player of the year in 2007 write it down!

28. davster82

davster82 Pro Bowler

There is a whole lot of room in between those 2 extremes.

29. jason8er

jason8er Shark Bait

How refreshing would that be.

30. muscle979

muscle979 FinHeaven VIP

Hall of fame Qbs don't suck for two straight seasons. Some of you are living in a dream world. We can hope that Daunte magically starts playing at a high level again but don't count on it.

31. clbrazee

clbrazee Seasoned Veteran

If he can't return to his old playing form, I'd say he's washed up. I personally have never been enamored with DC, so no I don't see him as hall of fame either.

32. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned Hammered

Yeah and for whatever reason they just hate the man. I don't understand why we finally get a good quarterback post Marino era, and everyone wants to get rid of him and return to our mediocrity at the QB position. Why do we prefer garbage like Harrington over a guy who has all the physical tools?

33. callaway1234

callaway1234 Starter

I agree Aqua I think people want to get rid of him because of his performance in the three or four games he played in this year, but if you look at his career as a whole you can see the kind of QB he is. I hope Cam gives him a chance next year and if he is at 100% (or close to it) health at the start of the season, I bet we won't start 1-6.

34. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Yes, and some people just ignore the results that stare them right in the face. :shakeno:
    Stats don't tell the whole story.
    Bob Griese and Phil Simms didn't have gaudy stats because they played in conservative offenses, but they were efficient and they knew how to run their respective offenses. I would take either one of them over DC.

35. BE GOOD

BE GOOD Pick and choose Wayne...

Culpepper is not a future HOFer, but he's also not washed out. He is somewhere in between. I think he can get back to a level of playing near his best year (2004).

36. PhinsRock

PhinsRock A True Fan

I would name a few examples that prove you wrong but I don't see your interest in factual truth, only your opinion seems to matter. So I won't waste my time.