Darren Rizzi says Jakeem Grant is disappointed and working hard in the offseason | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Darren Rizzi says Jakeem Grant is disappointed and working hard in the offseason

I'd actually like to see Grant on the field more as a WR. Use him as a decoy because he has to be covered. Primarily used to tire out the defense.

Dolphins have more depth at WR than most teams have at DB so wear them out. Make them chase you all over the field. Guys will get open.

Much of what CK says is true but I would like to see Miami's median (not average) field position when Grant takes it out. I'd be interested to compare it to Landry's. Seems to me Grant took it out too much (considering the 25yd rule is a gift) and when he did he rarely took the easy yds on offer. The result was a few big runs but a lot of other very shortlived sorties where he more or less got dumped by the first arriving tackler.

So, apart from his drops issue, his propensity to take out kick that should have been touchback, his feast or famine runs and the fact we have Drake also on the roster, I'm not as convinced about Grant as a PR/KR as CK. I'm also not sure he and Drake split the field left and right, iirc they were often stationed pretty centrally with Drake calling the run/touchback based on the coverage.

As a receiver, hard to tell except the few snaps he was involved in didn't do a huge amount to bolster his case but the college film certainly does.

Remember back when Peyton Manning was in our division? Terrence Wilkins used to tear us up for huge first downs on those short shuttle passes. I'd like to see Grant in a role like this...

Was there another Dolphin that had more drops than him last August?

Yes. Lots. Because, as far as I can tell, Jakeem Grant did not drop a single ball during the preseason. I know he had zero drops in the first game of the preseason, and actually had an impressive game as a receiver. He was only thrown one other ball the rest of the preseason and I don't believe he dropped it.

Much of what CK says is true but I would like to see Miami's median (not average) field position when Grant takes it out. I'd be interested to compare it to Landry's. Seems to me Grant took it out too much (considering the 25yd rule is a gift) and when he did he rarely took the easy yds on offer. The result was a few big runs but a lot of other very shortlived sorties where he more or less got dumped by the first arriving tackler.

So, apart from his drops issue, his propensity to take out kick that should have been touchback, his feast or famine runs and the fact we have Drake also on the roster, I'm not as convinced about Grant as a PR/KR as CK. I'm also not sure he and Drake split the field left and right, iirc they were often stationed pretty centrally with Drake calling the run/touchback based on the coverage.

As a receiver, hard to tell except the few snaps he was involved in didn't do a huge amount to bolster his case but the college film certainly does.

What you are describing is, in my mind, probably accurate.

The question I have for you is what do you WANT in a punt return man? Do you want a punt returner consistently keeps a punter's net at around 43 yards? Or do you want a punt returner who allows that net to be 45-47 yards a fair amount of the time, but has a 10% propensity to break it off for the big touchdown?

To me the choice is clear because of the nature of the game. Successful BIG plays (touchdowns) change the face of an entire game, and in a league of 8-8 parity that one extra win is often the difference between a playoff berth or no playoff berth. I would rather have a punt returner that allows a 47 yard net over one that consistently gives me that extra 4 yards, if I know that in two or three games this season that very same punt returner is going to throw a bowling ball into the bath tub by taking one the distance, giving us a free touchdown.

If you account for the returns called back on questionable penalties, Jakeem Grant had 23 punt returns this year for 245 yards and 2 TDs. Obviously two of those consisted of his 56 yard TD called back, and the 74 yard TD. Which means we're talking only 115 yards on the other 21 returns. But I'm not at all disturbed by that. It's what I prefer. The NFL isn't a high enough volume league (unlike for example the NBA) for me to care that much about a more consistent stream of pennies. The NFL is a league where dollars make the difference.

Yes. Lots. Because, as far as I can tell, Jakeem Grant did not drop a single ball during the preseason. I know he had zero drops in the first game of the preseason, and actually had an impressive game as a receiver. He was only thrown one other ball the rest of the preseason and I don't believe he dropped it.
I was referring to training camp.

Interesting that Clyde Christensen was talking Jakeem up the other day. I think that he needs to have a good Training Camp to hold his roster spot. While Ford lacks his speed, I can see him pushing for the last WR spot on the team because he is a more polished route runner with better hands.

Interesting that Clyde Christensen was talking Jakeem up the other day. I think that he needs to have a good Training Camp to hold his roster spot. While Ford lacks his speed, I can see him pushing for the last WR spot on the team because he is a more polished route runner with better hands.

I think you're missing the point though. Until someone steps up and shows they can be a compelling roster player that returns punts really well, Jakeem Grant is SAFE. Even if Grant is not the 4th receiver, even if he's not the 5th receiver, even if he's only the 6th receiver, he's safe. Miami does not walk into the 2017 season with Jarvis Landry (their #1 WR) as the only punt returner. And they're not just handing that job to some inexperienced guy unless he's being given a ton of reps in camp and preseason and showed a ton of promise.

Essentially the only realistic scenario where Jakeem Grant doesn't make it is the Dolphins sign someone off the street whom they know can punt return. It could happen. It's unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom