David Garrard | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

David Garrard

gdiaz0358

Rookie
Reaction score
The more I think about Gerrard just sitting out there, the more I wonder why hes not a Phin yet..I know most of you are going to rip me a new one for this but I really want to know why not and how this would hurt the team? If Henne is really getting it together the GREAT I would be thrilled to have Henne carry us to the promise land. My question is this...with what you saw out of Moore would you be comfortable letting him step in to replace Henne in case of an injury (God forbid)? I sure wouldnt, why not bring in a guy who has proven he can play? If you complain that this will lower Henne's confidence and add pressure to him then I DONT WANT A QB WHO CANT HANDLE THE PRESSURE!!! Its Henne's job to lose, so if he cant beat out Gerrard that obviously tells us hes not ready. I know its going to cost us, but I thought we had some money to play with. Its a win win situation we can not lose. Are we really missing out on Moore and his "potential"? Gerrard had 23 TDs and 15 INTs last season and with a sub par WR corps. SimsWlaker and M.Thomas? Really?? I dont care how you put it we can not be affected by bringing in a real vet who can step in any time and actually win games. This will push Henne to become better and hopefully finally become the QB we all want him to be. I am not asking for Gerrard to replace Henne, but simply come compete and help Henne.

Maybe because if we picked him up before week 1, his almost 9 million dollar contract would be guaranteed.

Maybe because if we picked him up before week 1, his almost 9 million dollar contract would be guaranteed.

thats if we picked him up before he cleared waivers. After that its what ever he agrees to

He's not getting picked up before week 1. If he's on the roster week 1 his full salary will be guaranteed no matter what we sign him for. We also only have about 5 million left in cap room so he'll be taking backup money to play for us and it's way too late to be signing a QB.

I'm ready to roll with Chad Henne and let the chips fall where they may.

thats if we picked him up before he cleared waivers. After that its what ever he agrees to

If we pick him up before week 1, his salary is guaranteed. After week 1, teams can sign Garrard, cut him and not be on the hook for the 8 million or so.

First off, I don't think Garrard would want to go to a place where he has to either accept the backup role or has to compete in a very strongly biased competition. San Francisco gives him a better opportunity to start, IMO. However, California is not Florida, and the transition to Miami would obviously be easier for his family.

Garrard will probably want more money than we'd like to give. We have already invested a similar amount in Moore. I don't think we are going to cut Moore and eat a few mil guaranteed.

Bringing in Garrard, a perceived starter, will also potentially hurt the chemistry in the lockerroom. It's a chemistry which sounds somewhat "special" this season, and the guys are kind of rallying around Henne. Nobody is going to be calling for Moore the first time Henne loses a game for us this season, but you might start hearing rumblings for Garrard from the fans and some players [internally] if/when that happens.

If you want to create an instant QB controversy and potentially divide the locker room then you pick him up right after week 1.

You no longer make this move unless Henne stinks up the joint and he is still available during the bye week. Even then you have to stay away and just draft a QB next year. You only do this move if it is the beginning of preseason.

Being a Henne hater, I would rather stick with Henne and give him a shot then go after this guy or trade for Palmer or whatever other options are still out there.

If we pick him up before week 1, his salary is guaranteed. After week 1, teams can sign Garrard, cut him and not be on the hook for the 8 million or so.

the salary that is guaranteed is what we sign him for not the salary he had with Jville. Nobody signed him on waivers so its whatever we negotiate

If you want to create an instant QB controversy and potentially divide the locker room then you pick him up right after week 1.

You no longer make this move unless Henne stinks up the joint and he is still available during the bye week. Even then you have to stay away and just draft a QB next year. You only do this move if it is the beginning of preseason.

Being a Henne hater, I would rather stick with Henne and give him a shot then go after this guy or trade for Palmer or whatever other options are still out there.

How is signing garrard right now any different than trading for palmer. garrard gives u at worst a good backup and insurance, matt moore gives u well not so much of either

How is signing garrard right now any different than trading for palmer. garrard gives u at worst a good backup and insurance, matt moore gives u well not so much of either

It's not. I lumped trading for Palmer and signing for Garrard in the same boat. I said keeping Henne is better then signing Garrard or trading for Palmer.

Garrard, a credible starter would not do anything but create doubt and controversy the moment Henne has 1 bad game.

Like I said, you only do this move if it was at the beginning of preseason or during the bye week if Henne stinks up the joint

Maybe because Henne seems to be grwoing in confidence and after the Orton stuff this would bring back all that crap. Besides Henne is 2000x the QB Garrard is. I live in Jax and he is a whiny little p****. All he does is chuck people under the bus.

I believe the new CBA requires a buyout if they sign him prior to week 1. It has nothing to do with waivers or his Jville contract. I remember reading a quote from his agent that is why there will be no movement on him until next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not. I lumped trading for Palmer and signing for Garrard in the same boat. I said keeping Henne is better then signing Garrard or trading for Palmer.

Garrard, a credible starter would not do anything but create doubt and controversy the moment Henne has 1 bad game.

Like I said, you only do this move if it was at the beginning of preseason or during the bye week if Henne stinks up the joint

Well to be truthful if Henne sucks people will be calling for Moore , hell some will call for Devlin. I always say better to come to a fight with the best weapons instead of lesser ones. Garrard would be another weapon just in case

I believe the new CBA requires a buyout if they sign him prior to week 1. It has nothing to do with waivers or his Jville contract. I remember reading a quote from his agent that is why there will be no movement on him until next week.

From my understanding of the cba once he clears waivers its to negotiation. The only difference is if he is signed prior to week 1 the contract is guaranteed whatever it is. Im pretty damn sure thats correct

Bet they take a real hard look at Garrard if Henne doesn't play above average against the Pats.

Back
Top Bottom