"Davone Bess: the best WR you don't know" Tim Graham | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Davone Bess: the best WR you don't know" Tim Graham

I give him a year or two before we trade him to new england for a third rounder.

if we can keep him primarily in the slot he'd be deadly... the fact that we line him up outside sometimes it takes him out of the area hes most effective...

Davone Bess is a guy that will have to earn his spot in the rotation every year but will probably do so pretty easily.

He's not a vertical threat at all right now. He's a complementary player. Right now his value is limited because he's got nobody to complement. He's Wes Welker without Randy Moss.

What was disconcerting for me is that even though it's easy to look at his latest body of work, the Panthers, Bills and New England games, and talk about how good he is...if you go back to the three or four games before that, all the way until the very end of the Buccaneers game...he was pretty bad. He went through a real rough stretch there that even Wes Welker never went through in his second or third year with us. What I HOPED was that this was just an acclimation period to the new quarterback, and what kind of ball he threw. Ted Ginn may have been something of a lost cause but there had to be hope for Davone Bess to go back to his sticky-fingered ways. Perhaps the most disturbing thing was how he would fumble the ball. That has nothing to do with your quarterback, that's just a player flat out slumping.

I hope he's put all of that behind him for good now, because he does have a lot of potential as a complementary player. In today's NFL, which is going more and more toward spread offense, a player like Bess can be very valuable if he's surrounded with the right cast. Wes Welker is on pace to absolutely shatter the record for receptions over a three-year period. If Bess can get to be that kind of player and he's in an offense with an outside threat, or multiple outside threats, on the same level as a Randy Moss...then look out.

But remember that right now Bess is not Welker. He doesn't think as quickly, he doesn't break as many tackles, and he's not as effective downfield as Welker has suddenly become. He doesn't produce the same YAC. He's in his second year and Welker only exploded in his fourth year. Some might argue that Welker could have exploded in his third year if he had been in the right offense with the right QB. That's probably true. I hope what it means is that when Jeff Ireland gets Stephen Ross the receiver he wants, Bess will explode next year and it will help us go far in the playoffs, maybe even win the Super Bowl.

Bess needs to be in the slot, that is where he is most dangerous. I agree out of all our receivers on the current roster right now i see Bess being here the longest, maybe along with Hartline since he was handpicked by Henne and has shown he can make plays.

Davone Bess is a guy that will have to earn his spot in the rotation every year but will probably do so pretty easily.

He's not a vertical threat at all right now. He's a complementary player. Right now his value is limited because he's got nobody to complement. He's Wes Welker without Randy Moss.

What was disconcerting for me is that even though it's easy to look at his latest body of work, the Panthers, Bills and New England games, and talk about how good he is...if you go back to the three or four games before that, all the way until the very end of the Buccaneers game...he was pretty bad. He went through a real rough stretch there that even Wes Welker never went through in his second or third year with us. What I HOPED was that this was just an acclimation period to the new quarterback, and what kind of ball he threw. Ted Ginn may have been something of a lost cause but there had to be hope for Davone Bess to go back to his sticky-fingered ways. Perhaps the most disturbing thing was how he would fumble the ball. That has nothing to do with your quarterback, that's just a player flat out slumping.

I hope he's put all of that behind him for good now, because he does have a lot of potential as a complementary player. In today's NFL, which is going more and more toward spread offense, a player like Bess can be very valuable if he's surrounded with the right cast. Wes Welker is on pace to absolutely shatter the record for receptions over a three-year period. If Bess can get to be that kind of player and he's in an offense with an outside threat, or multiple outside threats, on the same level as a Randy Moss...then look out.

But remember that right now Bess is not Welker. He doesn't think as quickly, he doesn't break as many tackles, and he's not as effective downfield as Welker has suddenly become. He doesn't produce the same YAC. He's in his second year and Welker only exploded in his fourth year. Some might argue that Welker could have exploded in his third year if he had been in the right offense with the right QB. That's probably true. I hope what it means is that when Jeff Ireland gets Stephen Ross the receiver he wants, Bess will explode next year and it will help us go far in the playoffs, maybe even win the Super Bowl.

Accurate and balanced

Bess is not Welker...

While Welker has got lit up a few times... Welker doesn't like contact... all that much... not as bad as Ginn obviously...

Bess seems to like the contact but hasn't been lit up like Welker - at least not yet...

Bess fumbled yes he did a few times - few fumbles are all that helpful - few fumbles are all that timely - players fumble even the greats... Even Jerry Rice on his way to end zone fumbled...

It wasn't just that he fumbled. The fumbles were a symptom of the slump. The slump was the problem. You slump, and we lose games. You have to be consistent. If you mix in a fumble here and there while you're doing mostly good work, that's fine. If you're not getting open, dropping balls, AND fumbling...all at the same time over the course of a few games...that's bad. Even if you do turn it back around at some point. During that period, you're letting your team down.

I've never seen Welker have any issues with contact.

The interesting tidbit from this week's additional press about Bess is that he needs to work on route depth. This seems to indicate that the Dolphins are hoping that he evolves into a possession receiver.

Bess doesn't have Walker's quickness to get separation but he seems to display the strength to snag balls away from defenders as the larger, well-known possession receivers do. The question for the future is if Bess and Henne get timing down, is if Henne's gun plus Bess's ball-snagging ability can make an effective possession receiver combo.

The interesting tidbit from this week's additional press about Bess is that he needs to work on route depth. This seems to indicate that the Dolphins are hoping that he evolves into a possession receiver.

Bess doesn't have Walker's quickness to get separation but he seems to display the strength to snag balls away from defenders as the larger, well-known possession receivers do. The question for the future is if Bess and Henne get timing down, is if Henne's gun plus Bess's ball-snagging ability can make an effective possession receiver combo.

Bess is most effective in the slot. he's quick, he can create yards after the catch, he DOES catch, he's not afraid to go over the middle. Hartline IMO will be developped into a possession type receiver with the ability to do some damage after the catch.

that leaves one hole in our receiving corps. granted, it's the biggest possible one, but we're not that far off. i guess that's one of the two positions Ireland hinted at.

Back
Top Bottom