December 29, 2002 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

December 29, 2002

Cannonboy said:
Why did you bring this up? What a horrible weekend. We choke, the Jets win the division, my basement gets flooded, fight with the wife. I was so pissed I sent a nasty letter to Wayne. Never did that before.
We must be long lost twins. :confused:

The very, very same thing happened to me over the weekend... well, except for the Wayne letter.

BUT, I get brownie points for ALSO getting a letter from my grandson - "hey, guess what, grandpa? I'm (quitting college)!"...

:shakeno: Sad, sad days indeed...

On topic, though... AYE, I would like the explanation. But, I'm happy with the call, irregardless... :D

Bodzilla29 said:
People always complain that we are too conservative and when our team finally shows some gusto and makes ballsy calls we lambast them.

Can't pease everybody I guess.

I loved the calls at the time, I just HATED the execution. Obviously.

EXACTLY....it's the execution of our players on the field that loses these games. The coaching from Wanny on down has been great, they always put the team in position to win. The players alway miss the plays and lose. It was 3 bad passes in that game. But the coaches had what they wanted one on one with the receivers, Jay miss the receivers, even though they had gotten open. Jay especially missed McKnight on a post pattern that would have sealed the deal. The week before that, the defense couldn't get off the field against Minn. A QB draw on 4th and 3 and they make it. Yea we have a top 10 D. A win in any of those 2 games and we win the division.

Dphins4me said:
My guess is NE had shut RW down in the 4th quarter of the game.

It's never as simple as that.

Outside linebackers holding on the C gaps? Free safety staying up on the strong side?

I haven't seen the game since then. Everybody remembers that game and I think that includes Norv. That game was more crushing than any other game in recent memory.

I just want something. Anything to explain what the thought process was.

ZOD said:
:lol:

C'mon it couldn't still be painful.

I just want his explaination of what he saw.
It was still pretty painful after I saw it again on NFL Network, although I DO want an explanation.

Cannonboy said:
Why did you bring this up? What a horrible weekend. We choke, the Jets win the division, my basement gets flooded, fight with the wife. I was so pissed I sent a nasty letter to Wayne. Never did that before.
It was a very quiet and painful evening. It was bad enough that we didn't make the playoffs, but the JETS won the division...I didn't talk to anyone that day. :cry:

jesusfreak26 said:
I remember that game well and was thinking the same thing. WHY THROW THREE CONCECUTIVE PASSES BACK TO BACK WHILE IN OUR OWN ENDZONE? I was beside myself. The explanation I got the next day watching the day after the game press conference from Wanny was they knew they were going to stack the line because of Ricky and the corner had been playing of Chambers a little going into the last drive. They figured they would be playing the run so they took a chance to get it to Chambers hoping maybe he could get some yards after the catch.
The Pats were trying to stop the run the whole game and they couldn't do it. The players (Mare, Minor, Rodgers, etc.) went into a shell. If I remember correctly, I believe Ricky had over 185 yds rushing at that point. Previous attempts of stacking the line to stop the run failed.

I saw about 3 articles, question Norv's actions since then, they stated:

Something, to the fact that NE was expecting RW to run with the ball, so NE was stacking the line with 8-9 players to prevent him from running, he had to get a first down so thats why he decided to pass...

Anyways, we can blame Norv and the QB and the WR, but we know that the defense, let NE move the ball at will and score 14 points within 7 minutes (11 in reg and 3 in OT),to win the game

Disnardo said:
I saw about 3 articles, question Norv's actions since then, they stated:

Something, to the fact that NE was expecting RW to run with the ball, so NE was stacking the line with 8-9 players to prevent him from running, he had to get a first down so thats why he decided to pass...

Anyways, we can blame Norv and the QB and the WR, but we know that the defense, let NE move the ball at will and score 14 points within 7 minutes (11 in reg and 3 in OT),to win the game
It was a complete meltdown that we're all too used to seeing.

Dphins4me said:
My guess is NE had shut RW down in the 4th quarter of the game.

You can sorta say so...

RW had 5 rush att for 7 yds in the 4th quarter before that last series...He had 10 attempts in the 3rd quarter for 50 yds...

Comparing to JF, who had 3 comp, 5 att for 18 yds before that last series. He also had 5 comp, 10 att for 8 yds in the 3rd quarter...

Look, IMO I liked the call, no conservative bull***p...

If Defenses are suppose to win games, these are the type of games A GREAT DEFENSE, is suppose to shine in. We did not have a great defense or an average offense, to win must games, in 2002 or 2003...

Will have to see if we can get one of each, this year on the field...

ZOD said:
:lol:

C'mon it couldn't still be painful.

I just want his explaination of what he saw.

The most painful thing about that game was that it finshed wanny's 3rd yr when he SHOULD have been fired.

Man that game was great...I couldn't believe what I was watching. 24-13 with 3 minutes left, and the dolphins do everything wrong on every side of the ball :cool:

What a beautiful day! Sitting in the parking lot knowing we needed either you guys or Cleveland to lose and as we packe dup and headed in you guys were comfortably up on NE and Cle had just stretched the lead to 8 late against Atlanta. I had a handheld TV and as soon as we got inside Atlanta was driving for the potential tying score(w/ a 2 pt conv) and NE was back in it trailing only by 3. Then NE tied it and the jet game ws beginning, if I hadn't seen the tape I couldn't tell you what happend the first half of the 1st qtr as my eyes were glued to the little TV.

NE stops you guys quickly and gets the ball and kicks the game tying FG then they win the toss and the meadowlands let out a huge roar. NE quickly drives deep into Miami territory and kicks the FG and the meadowlands goes bonkers, not long after that we just began to pund GB and claimed the division title. I ahve been to every Jet game since 1990 but that was the best day I have ever spent there. The agony to ectasy is something we don;t usually experience.

By the way, I'm still not sure Vinatieri's GW FG went through, every replay I've seen looks like it just misses to the right but I'll take it.

Disnardo said:

New England's game-tying field goal wasn't the defense's fault. Royals set them up in field goal range after his shank. The defense didn't even yield a first down on that possession.

Back
Top Bottom