Defensive Tackle Needs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Tackle Needs

and what will his cap number look like in the next few years

According to the NFLPA this is whats left on Bowens' contract

2003 $850,000.00
2004 $2,250,000.00
2005 $3,100,000.00
2006 $3,500,000.00

Bowens replacement can be postponed. Chester is only 27 and Haley is young and his body has not seen fulltime action. Acquire depth in later rounds or FA.

But I cant fault anyone looking into the future, the Dolphins should have at QB in Marino's last few years.

Originally posted by Crisdeman
According to the NFLPA this is whats left on Bowens' contract

2003 $850,000.00
2004 $2,250,000.00
2005 $3,100,000.00
2006 $3,500,000.00

He also has $600,000/season bonus amortization and a $1.8 million roster bonus payable prior to the 2004 season. He's likely to be with Miami for at least another year, but Fins FO may consider not paying the roster bonus next off-season.

Like what name one that we really need? CB you say, that means growing pains. Use a comp. pick on the guy, either the first or second comp. pick. How can it hurt.

Ty Warren

Gotta disagree Jaj... after watching Ty for 3 years here and knowing some of his high school friends, I don't think he is the answer.... he's injury prone and I don't think he played a full season here at A&M... don't get me wrong he is great when healthy but I wouldn't take a chance on him personally.

I changed my mind as well. Anyway he is going in the second and that is a spot where drafting a DT is too high for us.

How bout a young(Junior) run stuffer that has some pass rushing ability. Besides our current scheme depends more on run stuffers than guys like La'Roi Glover. The guy I'm talking about is Ian Scott. He is also homegrown. A hard worker that I believe will be a little better than a healthy Larry Chester. We can get in the 3rd with the comp. pick, rish the 5th, or trade down to the fourth where he belongs. Who knows maybe the comp. pick will only be a fourth rounder.

He will be 23 by the end of the 2004 season and that would be a good age for him to take over Bowens. Bowens cap number gets pretty expensive after 2003. We can take that 2003 salary, but not the last two years. As for Haley who knows if he is staying this year and I don't think a 30 year old is young at all. He is in his prime physically, while we need a guy who is developing strength as well as skills.

I didn't realize Haley was that old or that Bowens cap hit skied that big next year. However, I say we will be ok even if we don't draft one this year. If someone with some talent happens to drop to us and is the best available player, than I suppose we could take one.

As for more pressing needs than a defensive tackle Jaj? Outside Linebacker, Backup Quarterback, Wide Reciever, possibly nickel or dime back, Offensive Line and then maybe Defensive Line.

Offensive Line is the only one that we can get good production from a first year man and we do have other picks.

I would like to point out Haley is not young, and that the DT position is the most important position in our D-scheme.

Look what happened to the Bears when their DT got hurt this year. They fell apart.

While I'm not advocating picking one in the 2nd or 3rd, I am advocating picking one sometime if one falls who we really like. A hard working, big body with marginal skills but great attitude and work ethic is always a great late pick IMO.

Back
Top Bottom