Del Rio for DC | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Del Rio for DC

The Raiders had a really bad season. Derek Carr went from having an MVP caliber season to a really, really lousy season. So they're going to hire Gruden in the hopes that he can work his magic with Carr, a player in which the team has already invested heavily.

The move does make sense. If Gruden returns with the fire he had the first time he had that job, and he has a strong GM to keep him from making terrible personnel decisions (his downfall in Tampa), he could be OK. I know that Gruden had a very badly fractured relationship with a lot of people in Tampa when he left, but sometimes very talented and passionate people don't get along with everyone.

With that said, I remain highly skeptical. He's been out of coaching for what, ten years now? Well, Dick Vermeil did it. Hmm, that's something to consider.

So they could hire a one time superbowl winning coach that won based on taking over a Tony Dungy built defense and plugged in a QB that wouldn't mess up aka Brad Johnson, ignoring the fact the end of his run in Tampa was awful, he couldn't get a fart to stink let alone coach up a full roster and get results back at the end. Perhaps he will do the same with Raiders that he did with Tampa, he is a good coach, just highly highly over rated in many circles(still good, just not as franchise changing as some like to make him).

Honestly, deep down I feel it was a PR move, "hey old Oakland fans that burned jerseys and cussed us out for announcing the move to Las Vegas, look we got Gruden back!!!" Feel for Jack, he turned that franchise around in 3 years and the year that his QB is coming back/off surgery and his o-line is a joke, he gets canned.
I heard people said before that he won with Dungy's players but if that's the case then how come Dungy didn't win with those players himself?

Ozzy rules!!

The Raiders had a really bad season. Derek Carr went from having an MVP caliber season to a really, really lousy season. So they're going to hire Gruden in the hopes that he can work his magic with Carr, a player in which the team has already invested heavily.

The move does make sense. If Gruden returns with the fire he had the first time he had that job, and he has a strong GM to keep him from making terrible personnel decisions (his downfall in Tampa), he could be OK. I know that Gruden had a very badly fractured relationship with a lot of people in Tampa when he left, but sometimes very talented and passionate people don't get along with everyone.

With that said, I remain highly skeptical. He's been out of coaching for what, ten years now? Well, **** Vermeil did it. Hmm, that's something to consider.
Players are way harder to deal with now

Ozzy rules!!

With that said, I remain highly skeptical. He's been out of coaching for what, ten years now? Well, **** Vermeil did it. Hmm, that's something to consider.

Del Rio's mistake was getting rid of the OC after last season. The Raiders offense was much better last year compared to this year.

Del Rio's mistake was getting rid of the OC after last season. The Raiders offense was much better last year compared to this year.

I can't disagree there. Del Rio made a bad staff decision and it cost him his job.

Jack fired and so was his son from the Gators. Bad year for the Del Rios.

I’m not even sure I fault Burke much... he was strapped with some damn stupid and/or physically incapable players... that’s on the FO

Was Burke allowed to run a scheme he wanted or was he made to run Joseph's scheme?

I heard people said before that he won with Dungy's players but if that's the case then how come Dungy didn't win with those players himself?

Ozzy rules!!

Gruden basically guru'd the crap out of offense based on QB at hand. Dungy by the time he got the players for his scheme on defense to where he wanted them, the Bucs saw Gruden as coach that could finish the job before Tony had a shot. Don't get me wrong, Gruden coached them up and kept the system/players in place for defense but once those players aged and he had to start from scratch(was given more then enough time), he began to show he wasn't a builder, more of a take over and finisher ;)

With that said, the Raiders job is probably the most ideal place for him based on his past with taking over the Bucs.

This I agree with, and was actually one of the first things I thought about when Del Rio was fired. He was a good DC when that was his job.

I would fire Gase and Burke and give the HC job to Del Rio. Let him hire the DC
This team isnt going anywhere with Gase IMHO.

How do you spell Del Rio? HeHe I couldn't resist.

Does Del Rio run a man to man on the back end?. The best young talent in the defense excel in press. Adding or changing to a zone based back end is a step backwards

Del Rio also played baseball in college. He didn't like a column I wrote in the Daily Trojan and was among a handful of baseball players who stormed the newspaper office to confront me. I wasn't there but I heard about it later. Then apparently they calmed down because it didn't repeat.

I wrote that I wished I were a dog and baseball was a tree. Stuff like that.

The athletic department always wanted public relations type material in the Daily Trojan. Nope.

The Gruden connection must be legit. It's the only thing that makes sense. His name comes up every year for various jobs so obviously he's listening and not saying flat no. Plus he does all that film work and forms opinions on players and evolving schemes. That FFCA tag seems to irk him, even if he's the one who invented it, or popularized it. Not shocking he would give it another try.
Dooger, you're awesome man. But you might want to make it clear for those not overly familiar with USC. The school newspaper is named the Daily Trojan. We should probably clarify that "Trojan" refers to the men of Troy, the mascot for the University of Southern California. I mean, college ... people could get the wrong idea ... particularly in this day and age of reality blogging.

Problem with this teams coaching staff is no veteran coaches who have proven it at this level.

Gase is a new head coach. Plus thinks he should be offensive coordinator then a puppet like Christensen behind him. Defensively it's Burke who is over his head and no great position coaches behind him.

Gase would be well served having a veteran and proven defensive coordinator behind him. But we continue marching forward with the immaturity.

Back
Top Bottom