Depth on this team, is it | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Depth on this team, is it

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
enough?

I've been looking at that for awhile..shall we examine it. A poster from NE made a very good point on what's been the difference between NE and Miami and I agreed. DEPTH..or the lack of.

Let's look at our team, if they went though what the Pats went though last year could we survive like they did..it wasn't coaching by NE, it was good role players....ie that's why they let Woody and Washington go. Would we have let those kinds of players go? I don't think so, here's why.
We don't have the kind of depth to recover from losing those kinds of players.

First the O.
WR
Chambers, Boston.

Depth: DT, Minnis, Wilkins, Newson, Toliver, Simmons, Bellamy, Bobby Sippio, Carl Morris . If Chambers and Boston went down...what position would we be in....you make the call?

TE
R. McMicheals.

Depth: Donald Lee, John Jones, Ed Perry..We're not bad at all here, probably our deepest position.

T
St. Clair, W. Smith

Depth: Carey, McIntosh(i), Goodspeed. One injuried, 1st round who played G last year, and 2nd year man Goodspeed, who's had a teammate compliment him in Mini camp play.

G
Jeno, German

Depth: Yates, Whitney, Pope, Brad Bedell, Eric Wilson....notice I put the full names of the last 2, so you know they exist. Yates is the only one of these I have any confidence in. You may be able to name other.

C
McKinney

Depth: Hadnot, Shawn Lynch. enough said.

QB
JF

Depth: AJ, Sage, Stoenor
This has been debated pretty well on this site, I want start another war.

RB
R. Williams

Depth: Minor, L. Henry, Russell....another depth part of our team..I actually think Henry can be a great NFL RB if given a chance.

FB
R. Konrad

Depth: Morris...New and learning the O..could be somewhat of a problem..Konrad is like Jay, known to get hurt doing the season.

Defense

DE
J. Taylor, Ogun

Depth:
D. Bowen, Jay Williams, O. Grisby..I actually think we could lose both DE's and still be pretty decent.

DT
Bowens, Chester

Depth:
Zgonia, Romeo,Nate Bolling....Trouble is both DT's go down, we can handle one out at a time. No future, Bowens and Zgonia are getting up there in years.

LB
Zach, Seau, Greenwood.

Depth: Moore, Jenkins, Ayanbadejo...I have no idea, do you?

CB
Madison, Surtain

Depth: Howard, Poole, Banks, Roundtree, The more I look at this the better I feel.

S
Freeman, Sammy

Depth: Edwards, Bell, Atkins, Wooden. With the emergence of Bell, I feel good about this group also..I think we could lose both starters and still be effective.

Over all, our starting T's on O don't excite me, lets more the depth..that whole group seems to be about equal..any could start, but that doesn't mean they're starting caliber, it's just what we have. I wouldn't mind with the present players seeing James, Mckinney, Yates as the interio, but German maybe better than Yates, I just have strong images of Yates from last year. If McIntosh recovers, the right side could be McI-G and Carey T.
I remember the St. Clair in St. Louis too well, here's to hoping he's gotten better. The skilled positions on O could take a hit more so than the OL at this point I think. The D has more depth everywhere except, as you know..LB...Jenkins impressed last year, Moore is a 2nd year rookie And Ab..is unknown..go ST but that's all I know..Can someone fill in the blanks I've left on a lot of these people and ease my mind. Oh yea, I didn't name all the players on the team in each position, just those I think have a good chance of making this year or getting a good look.

You missed some guys:
LB's Tony Bua, Derrick Pope, and Brendan Givan.
S: Chris Akins and Shawn Wooden
QB: Sage Rosenfels
DE: Tony Brown
Not many teams can say they have first team players playing 3rd, 4th and 5th on the depth chart. I think we greatly improved our depth this year compared to last year. My only worries are with the Oline if someone goes down. We'll just see if a newbie or rookie can step it up.

OL: its Pape not Pope.

everardteach said:
You missed some guys:
LB's Tony Bua, Derrick Pope, and Brendan Givan.
S: Chris Akins and Shawn Wooden
QB: Sage Rosenfels
DE: Tony Brown
Not many teams can say they have first team players playing 3rd, 4th and 5th on the depth chart. I think we greatly improved our depth this year compared to last year. My only worries are with the Oline if someone goes down. We'll just see if a newbie or rookie can step it up.

OL: its Pape not Pope.

Nope, I had Wooden and Akins under depth..I didn't include Brown because I don't think he makes the final roster, I forgot to add Bua and Pope..I left Givan off because I don't think he makes the final roster. What 1st team guys are you refering to playing 3, 4, and 5th deep???? :confused:

Rookies should not be considered "depth"

"Depth" means, simply put by Pat Kirwan's recent article on nfl.com, key veterans that can be counted on.

Clumpy said:

"Depth" means, simply put by Pat Kirwan's recent article on nfl.com, key veterans that can be counted on.

That's why I forgot a couple of them :D But a 1st rounder defintely should be considered depth..Poole as cb maybe the exception to that rule.

But if you think about it...how many teams can honestly say they are completely comfortable with their backups at all positions. You just gotta hope that people stay healthy. Alot of guessing and luck in this game.

saves said:
But if you think about it...how many teams can honestly say they are completely comfortable with their backups at all positions. You just gotta hope that people stay healthy. Alot of guessing and luck in this game.

NE, they did last year with backups, and so did the titians a couple of years back, Philly keeps reloading using their backups, so yea there's some teams out there with good depth..we're missing it in a crucial area........LB's and maybe OL.

MDFINFAN said:
NE, they did last year with backups, and so did the titians a couple of years back, Philly keeps reloading using their backups, so yea there's some teams out there with good depth..we're missing it in a crucial area........LB's and maybe OL.
I have to agree. As much as I hate New England they did deserve to win last year they had some key injurys and never missed a beat. The funny thing is a lot of the guys I had never heard of. I think some it did have to do with coaching. There was a maturity there and a confidence out of the young guys I have never seen before. But the good thing is we are improved as well and think we will split with them this year.

jesusfreak26 said:
I have to agree. As much as I hate New England they did deserve to win last year they had some key injurys and never missed a beat. The funny thing is a lot of the guys I had never heard of. I think some it did have to do with coaching. There was a maturity there and a confidence out of the young guys I have never seen before. But the good thing is we are improved as well and think we will split with them this year.

Yea I think coaching had alot to do with it in NE. But I think we could loose a linebacker and be alright with one of our young guys for a while, as long as there is no widespead injurys we should be alright I think. But what if Brady or Washington was down for the superbowl, they wouldn't be in that great of a position either.

I'm not saying I disagree with you about depth being important, but I think we could get by with what we have with a little bit of luck on our side this season.

WR, and FB are the only 2 positions I'm really worried about depth. I think we are stacked with defensive depth. I'm not so sure about FS. But the rest of the defense we have good depth.

I like Minor, if Ricky were to go down, I think Minor could carry the load fairly well.

TE, hell I like Donald Lee, he has potential. He will probably be starting anyways :lol:

Clumpy said:

NE won last year bc of its rookie depth.

Back
Top Bottom