Derrius Thompson Messed Up | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Derrius Thompson Messed Up

Thompson was pretty good in Washington in 2002. We now have one of the best receivers coaches in the league in Jerry Sullivan. I think that with Sullivans help, Thompson can be a solid #3 for us. He sucked last year but he's still young and has shown before that he can be pretty good.

he is looking at film on his own?...GEEE...i thought a couple million might have been enough insentive to do that last year...silly me

Just for the record, for those saying DT will be a surprise success at the #3 WR position, I have to say... so what? With Boston and Chambers to draw all the attention, not to mention Ricky and McMichael? You have every chance to be successful.

My problem with DT is that I don't think he can step up and be a good #2 WR if needed, and we have plenty of young WR's who could use an opportunity like he had last season.

Keep in mind

Our Offensive Passing game sucked azz last year, and the year before that, and the one before that, Im noticing a trend here, anyway, and I am so glad they got rid of Robert Ford and brought in Sullivan, This guy will turn the tide, its about time:fire:
Lets get the season started already:roflmao:

dt

dt will neve be a boston or chambers type receiver ... but as a third wideout, with agreat receiver coach i think he can make a solid contribution. he is big he is fast and his hands are at least soso. he is not jerry rice ... but against another teams nickel or dime back he might do well

why all the Thompson hating? You people have the bar set WAY too high.

1. It was his first year in a BRAND new system

2. Our starting QB is sub par at BEST

3. We played musical QB's half the season

how can you expect him to light it up under those circumstances? Cut the guy some slack, yes he had his share of bumps, no he wasn't very good, but he knows he played badly and has shown every indication of having a true desire to do better. He desrves at least another chance.

The one thing I remember last year about Derrius was a sure touchdown pass in the endzone where he jumped way too early before the ball got there. I thought Darnerian McCants had more potential than him at Washington even though he was below Derrius on their depth chart-guess thats why he was resigned.

I agree, I will never forget that sure TD in which he jumped WAY too early for and wasn't able to make the catch. However, I would like to remind everyone that with Chambers and Boston set at the starting receiver slots, with McMichael apparently getting more passes thrown his way, with DW saying that Konrad will also get more passes and with Ricky accounting for half, or more, of our entire offense, there isn't much room for even the most amazing receiver to make any impact in this offense as the third, or slot, receiver. DW has said it a million times, the fins will run primarily two receiver sets to look for mismatches with the linebackers. I guarantee that just like the last few years, the only time miami runs more than two receivers will be on 3rd and long, and even then Jay (assuming he starts, which I doubt) usually goes for one of his top 2 receivers anyway...

Phinzone said:
why all the Thompson hating? You people have the bar set WAY too high.

1. It was his first year in a BRAND new system

2. Our starting QB is sub par at BEST

3. We played musical QB's half the season

how can you expect him to light it up under those circumstances? Cut the guy some slack, yes he had his share of bumps, no he wasn't very good, but he knows he played badly and has shown every indication of having a true desire to do better. He desrves at least another chance.
The guy only got 359 YARDS AND 0 TOUCHDOWNS FOR THE YEAR! he could never get open, the guy just plain sucks, get him out of the team and give somebody else a shot.

DT should be nicknamed 'jumpy'...

Someone else mentioned it early last year and I specifically watch everytime the ball is thrown his way....

He Jumps for EVERY catch even if he does not need too...

Opposing safeties know this too and he is going to get Killed out there one of these days....

Along with the early jump I also remember him not dragging his feet before going out of bounds on a key play that would have gone for a first down.....I just don't remember the game...

You don't have to know a system to run a fade pattern, and know how to time your jump. Oronde Gadsden made his Dolphin career from Fades. I know Carl Morris has done a good job of that in NFLE, and we all know Chambers and Boston have ups, so DT hurts himself by lack of, in this case. On whoever said he is cheap. DT was scheduled to make, I believe 1.5-1.7 this year, and restructured to bring it down to 1.1 or something. He might have a SB Dead Money cap hit on like 250,000, but say you cut a guy, sign a MM or Vet reciever to 650,000, you save 200,000 in the salary cap, and that gives you an extra rookie on the roster, say a Bua, or Hadnot, or Pape, Pope, Russell. Does it make sense to anybody. Last year Mcnight and DT made both made double what chambers got, and triple what Mcmicheal got. Economics of football is scary.

Back
Top Bottom