Did Charles Harris have a successful rookie season?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by number1fin, Jan 11, 2018 at 9:00 PM.

?

1. Yes

42.7%
  2. No

57.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

I’ll let you define what a “successful” rookie season actually means but to me it really boils down to if you think the kid played well enough to not only earn being picked where he was but also did he flash enough potential to possibly be an elite DE someday.

His stats were subpar only recording 19 tackles and 2 sacks.

I will say I liked his effort throughout the entire season and he did pass the eye test, in addition he had quite a few near misses where he would’ve been a lot more impactful.

Unfortunately for him though being drafted by the Dolphins in the 1st round carries a little baggage. Mainly because we’ve had a bust, or two.

So I pose the question to you.

Ponder on that and enjoy the highlight reel.

Pandarilla likes this.
  2. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

No. When you have first rd picks that don’t really contribute it makes you wonder why people are so opposed to using a 1st rd pick on a QB that won’t contribute this year. Basically the same thing but with the QB pick have more upside. Nothing from Harris this season showed he was worth a 1st rd pick.

3. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

He was underwhelming. As for the rap video, just turrribbbblllleeee.

randomname and royalshank like this.
  4. superphin

superphin Starter Finheaven VIP

No not at all but i remain hopeful for the future, after all thats all i have as a fan these last 15 some odd years hope for the future.

5. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

he flashed, and showed potential. like you said he got close a lot, but in this game getting close isn't good enough. we will have to wait until next year and see if he develops

Elle Clouds and number1fin like this.
  6. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP Donator

7. number1fin

He played in all 16 games.

Oh and he turns 23 in March.

Just saying.

8. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Maybe he'll take off ala m williams or clowney. I wasn't impressed though.

9. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I seem to remember everybody in an uproar about drafting Harris instead of Jordan Willis and Willis had one sack on the season. I don't think you should put too much stock in rookie's performance year one. Let's see if he's improving as he gets more and more experience. Same is true with Tunsil to a degree. I wouldn't get too worked up over his play at left tackle during his first year at the position in the NFL. Plus Tunsil and Harris showed improvement toward the end of the season and that's the foundation for future success.

Anvil35, Yessir, levv151 and 6 others like this.
  10. superphin

superphin Starter Finheaven VIP

Yeah but if we had willis and his one sack it would have been 1 sack + the player everyone else wanted thus making that 1 sack worth it.

tazthenomad likes this.
  11. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

I wouldn't say it was a success but he doesn't look like a bust either. Those near misses will become sacks in the future. I always look forward to second year players after an offseason of NFL-style workouts, he could become a true force next year.

12. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Can you link this "uproar?" And I wouldn't be too smug about that one, given that Harris got 1 sack and 6 fewer tackles despite 137 more snaps.

13. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Certainly too early to judge him. Obviously I hoped for more. However, it's typical Dolphins to see players drafted soon after contributing immediately.

number1fin likes this.
  14. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Too early to really say anything, but 1 sack is awful. He really needs to get it together or we picked anther bust.. Sad knowing us.. We will release him and Pats will pick him up and get 14.5 sacks that year

15. PhinsAAA

PhinsAAA Well-Known Member

Looked good to me for a rookie and he improved all year long. Right attitude as well gonna see a nice jump from this type of player in year two.

16. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

No. Very uninspired by his play. But it is his rookie season, so I'll give him more time.

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  17. iwastherein1972

iwastherein1972 Well-Known Member

He is not dion jordan. That alone means there is hope.

Ray R likes this.
  18. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

Look more closely, I believe he was third in the league at drawing offensive holding penalties. I’m sure someone can dig up the official league stats on this. He’ll be a player.

levv151, sinPHIN, BSQ and 2 others like this.
  19. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Meh. He made a few plays batting balls and had the 2 sacks. But then, without looking it up, my guess is Jared Odrick did just as well his “rookie” season. (I know he broke his leg in the first game - meaning first full season. High effort guy w little production. Hoping Harris is better than he was.

Ray R likes this.
  20. number1fin

Since you went there it’s kinda ironic and frankly disturbing that Dion Jordan also recorded 19 tackles and 2 sacks his rookie season.

And if I recall correctly he even had a couple of blocked punts.

Sad when you really think about it...

[​IMG]

21. jbyrd850

jbyrd850 Rookie

Heck no. Barely noticed the guy. But he's exactly what I expected he'd be, another guy that won't live up to his draft rating.

Do yourself a favor and look up miamis last 20 or so first round picks, you almost couldn't pick a more under whelming group of players if you tried. A blind squirrel woulda hit on more picks than this team.

22. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

And ran a blocked FG 58 yards to the lions 3 yard line setting up our only TD. Game we win if clay hangs on late in game.

23. Manning

Manning Scout Team

Jordon was the 3rd overall pick and Harris was 22. Big difference. With that said I voted No. I don't think his season was a success but I did see enough to where I think he could be a good player

24. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

no. obviously that doesn't mean he can't develop into a good player...but the DE who performed pretty well for a rookie was Takk McKinley, the guy I wanted, unfortunately we passed on him.

25. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come Well-Known Member

Both Harris and especially Andre Branch project much better as OLB's in a base 3-4, and Wake can do his thing in either. Wake actually dropped into zone coverage quite a bit this last year and looked good from what I saw.

Draft Vita Vea and the Dolphins are on their way to a dominating defense.

Birdmond likes this.
  26. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

He had a successful season in that he did not get suspended for PEds or stay injured. Looked like nothing special at all but I'm willing to chalk it up to being a rookie.
    For where we took him I expect more in return so overall his rookie season was a D plus but he does have potential and may just take a little time to get going.

We drafted him for his pass rush and got 2 sacks as a rookie which did not even rank in the top 10 of rookies, I personally think he is more of a 3-4 linebacker type but not going to discount him after one year.
    Did not like the pick would have rather had TJ watt or Baker

27. Martel13

Martel13 Since '84 Super Donator

Just another very under average Dolphin first round pick

28. TraderJoe

TraderJoe FinHeaven VIP

I voted “No” and based on most reports I recall out of camp that he was a really hard working, high character kid I would expect Charles to vote “No” as well.

Didn’t love the pick or the player at the time but he seemed to flash at times during the season so hopefully next year we can answer the same question differently.

29. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

If he did, it would have been easier to swallow cutting Wake. Now that's up in the air

30. hoops

hoops exited stage left

The best rookie rotational or situational edge by the end of the season turned out to be tak McKinley.

31. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Love it.

32. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

He’s better than Cam Wake was at the same age so there’s that.

33. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I like Harris's potential, he works hard from all accounts and is part of the building blocks for the future. I know we expect our first round picks to have immediate success, but that's not always the case, let's give him more time and I think he will be good.

number1fin likes this.
  34. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

HE improved considerably as the season went on and ended up being one of our most consistent performers. HE got much better pressure and ended up grading out as one of our better players over the final weeks of the season. I would say yes if you look at it from a developmental standpoint.

Keep in mind that he is still relatively new to football and only started playing as a Junior in high school. He is a player that is trending up.

35. biggrouper

biggrouper Scout Team

His season was a success to me. I think Charles Harris is learning and his progression was visible.He stayed healthy and played every game. He still has a high ceiling from a production standpoint and he will blossom into a good player in Miami. Should he have been taken at 22 - probably not but he shouldn't be labeled an bust either Its a long term projection thing. having said that, If his stats don't improve next year then I will start to grumble but the rookie season good or bad does not make a career.

number1fin, Anvil35 and Michael Scott like this.
  36. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

I voted yes. He came along after the first few weeks and at times seemed to be the only player on the edge getting to the QB. Can't judge strictly based on sacks. The sacks will come with improved technique. I love his work ethic and that alone is a huge recipe for success when you've got the talent and ability, which he clearly has.

Gonna dig this thread back up in January 2019.

37. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

He was fine. Now obviously you expect a nice uptick in performance next year now that he had a full year in the NFL/offseason conditioning.

38. WCUPUNK

WCUPUNK Well-Known Member

i don't think he had a great rookie year by anyone's definition. you can see why we drafted him though. he is great pass rusher but he really needs to work on nearly every other aspect of his game.

39. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Well if you’re a PFF backer he had almost a 80 overall rating with his best game being a 87 against KC. Got better as the year went on which is what you expect.

He needs to be a more consistent force next year, which I expect that to happen.

Anvil35 and Michael Scott like this.
  40. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

No. Even rookies shouldn't be missing easy tackles (sacks) on Qb's, inexcusable. He and Wake missed some crucial tackles and took some horrible angles in key situations throughout the season, that's why his stats suck. He struggles wrapping up. Wake is old and that's why he can't finish the same anymore, and Harris was very disappointing. Wish we took Lamp and said so at the time, but I hope he proves me wrong. Andre Branch is the best defensive end on this roster now and he too had a bad season lol. Thank God our DT's are strong, because our ends suck. Still missing OV...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 10:32 AM