Did the Fishing Tournament happen? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the Fishing Tournament happen?

Ozzy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this off topic.

I have not herd a thing about it. Did ya'll get out there, and if so, show some pics.

I got out on the water Friday Night, and landed a 7 pound Mangrove Snapper!!! I'm waiting on my friend to get me some copies of the pictures he took.

Ozzy said:
Sorry if this off topic.

I have not herd a thing about it. Did ya'll get out there, and if so, show some pics.

I got out on the water Friday Night, and landed a 7 pound Mangrove Snapper!!! I'm waiting on my friend to get me some copies of the pictures he took.
That's huge, fishing off a Nuclear Plant? I am going home next week, plan to catch some Mangrove and Schoolhouse Snappers with my 4yr old and fry them up Cayman style!

MNFINFAN said:
That's huge, fishing off a Nuclear Plant? I am going home next week, plan to catch some Mangrove and Schoolhouse Snappers with my 4yr old and fry them up Cayman style!

Actually we were South of the Elbow in 50ft of water. It was a full moon and usually that makes it tough, but we did OK.

I've had a lot of luck fishing in Turkey Point Channel, but when you see some of the marine life a glowing green, that stuff don't come out no matter how you cook it. :D

Sorry, Ozzy, didn't mean to leave you hanging.....check out Fin-atics post on the free board....

inFINSible said:
Sorry, Ozzy, didn't mean to leave you hanging.....check out Fin-atics post on the free board....

Yeah I read that. Wtf happened?

Taking all humour out of it?

AJ arranged the tournament with Calm Rage. We signed up and went over. We were not on the list. This was after we were told to send names, addresses, and shirt size and told we were "all set". When we got there, they had nothing. No names for us, no name for Finehaven, no name for calm Rage, nothing. They had no clue who we were. The guy who was running the event said he thought he knew who we were, and said " I told that guy yesterday that I had no boat for you". However, no one told us.
Between the two of them someone dropped the ball.
Why and how we are still trying to find out. I sent AJ an e-mail a couple of days asking WTF happened, but as of now no response.
I wanted to make light of it all and we made the best. But we really were disappointed and a little P.O.'d.
That's the story.

I talked to the guy I was working with during the event. He apologized to me hundreds of times, but I told him in the end I have a few pissed off friends.

Here is his email back to me:

Hi AJ,

I'm so sorry for the confusion. Chris had 2 Charter Capts. lined up and both backed out on him. I apologize for the mix up. Me being out of town Friday night didn't help either. The tourny went very well and we look forward to contacting you much sooner next year. Alot of people asked what Finheaven.com was! I'll talk to you soon. Gotta tell you about our trip to Miami. It was awesome!

I apologize again. If you could give me the numbers of the guys who showed up, I'd like to call and apologize personally.

Jay Lawrence

If you guys want, I can give him your phone number... up to you.

I don't know what to really tell you otherwise. As far as I knew, everything was lined up and ready to go. The names were faxed. I even called to make sure everything was received.

Let me know what I can do to repay you...

Sincerely,
AJ

Ozzy said:
Actually we were South of the Elbow in 50ft of water. It was a full moon and usually that makes it tough, but we did OK.

I've had a lot of luck fishing in Turkey Point Channel, but when you see some of the marine life a glowing green, that stuff don't come out no matter how you cook it. :D

Oh my gosh ... I haven't thought about Turkey Point in YEARS. That's where I did my very first fishing ever. Makes me miss my dad ... and South Florida.

Ozzy said:

Ahh, 50' of water, that explains the bigger Mangrove, we usually fish off the ironshore in about 15' of water, as it is me and my boys (all under 4 yrs old) we are usually catching schoolhouse, grunts, squirrelfish, the occasional Jack and Baracuda. We usually fish with a handline and squid nothing fancy but the boys love it. Evan my 4 yr old isn't sure about scaling and gutting them yet BUT HE WILL LEARN TO LOVE IT :D (that is if he wants to be in my will), I am down in MIA in November maybe we can get out and drop a line one eveing.

Cheers

Paul

FinHeavenAJ said:
I talked to the guy I was working with during the event. He apologized to me hundreds of times, but I told him in the end I have a few pissed off friends.

Here is his email back to me:

If you guys want, I can give him your phone number... up to you.

I don't know what to really tell you otherwise. As far as I knew, everything was lined up and ready to go. The names were faxed. I even called to make sure everything was received.

Let me know what I can do to repay you...

Sincerely,
AJ

I can't speak for those who were dissapointed, but me, I would tell the guy its ok. And as for next year I'd tell the guy in a much more meaningful way of saying...............No Thanks!!! That would have to be typed on this site like this.... %%$$%^$#$## :D

Or tell him to line up 4 boats and have no one show up. I know he sounded sincere and all, but the fact that he was out of town on the day of the event. Well, that shows how much he really cares about that tournament in the first place, much less about the people he tried to recruit for it.

Shame on him.

DrAstroZoom said:
Oh my gosh ... I haven't thought about Turkey Point in YEARS. That's where I did my very first fishing ever. Makes me miss my dad ... and South Florida.

Turkey Point.....

You have to have a boat now. That place is on lock down since 911. The only way in that channel is coming from the outside in.

I've been fishing them parts since the 70's. I've even walked the whole inner part of the bay from Black Point to Turkey Point, netting big ol Blue Crabs back in the day.

Btw, if you have not been down this way in a while you would not recognize Black Point Marina. It went from a gravel ramp to 7-8 boat ramps on one side, to a boat lift on the other. Marine Patrol Station, and a pretty good seafood eatery. The best part about it is going on Saturday or Sunday just to watch the hundreds of boats come in. There is some kind of small accident every weekend. People actually come out by the hundreds to just watch, and film.

MNFINFAN said:
Ahh, 50' of water, that explains the bigger Mangrove, we usually fish off the ironshore in about 15' of water, as it is me and my boys (all under 4 yrs old) we are usually catching schoolhouse, grunts, squirrelfish, the occasional Jack and Baracuda. We usually fish with a handline and squid nothing fancy but the boys love it. Evan my 4 yr old isn't sure about scaling and gutting them yet BUT HE WILL LEARN TO LOVE IT :D (that is if he wants to be in my will), I am down in MIA in November maybe we can get out and drop a line one eveing.

Cheers

Paul

Well, my friends the one with the boat, and it stays on the water in the Keys so fishing inshore is not as good. But when my boat ran, I go out to Angel Fish Creek, and turn into Ocean Reef where the rich folk live. Right under a bridge in 10-15 feet of water. Five pound Mangroves all day long.

When you come down, your probably going to have to settle on fishing on the jetty at Black Point. It's a bit of a walk, but it's about the only place down this way to fish the shore without a boat. I have not fished the jetty in years, so I'm not even 100% sure how safe it is for youngins.

There is also Snowdens damn, and just north of that there's the Plametto Bay Power plant. That's a pretty good spot. You let me know when your coming and even if its not a good time for me, I'll at least get you some directions.

But dropping a line always sounds good to me brutha.

Back
Top Bottom