Dispute Needing To Be Settled | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dispute Needing To Be Settled

Themajster

NYC FIN FAN
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm in an arguement with a guy at work and I wanted to see what the general consensus of the forums would be.

The question posed is:

Can you compare Michael Jordan in the NBA to a sinlge player in the NFL?

My pod-mate is saying yes because they are both team sports and where Michael Jordan is the greatest player of all time, he was never able to win championships without a good team around him.

I say no because Michael Jordan can make more of an impact as a single player in basketball than any single player in the NFL. There are some great NFL players like Dan Marino who is argueably the best QB of all time. But I don't think you can compare anyone in the NFL to the Jordan of NBA.

What does everyone think?

MOD EDIT: It should be obvious to you that this kind of thread doesn't belong in the Dolphins forum. Please do not post off-topic in the future. This is your first warning.

Cannot compare.... football is the ultimate team game and very interactive with all positions unlike the NBA where one player can literally take over a game.

Cant compare. Football is the ULTIMATE team game. In basketball, a single great player can carry a team for so much.... that doesnt happen in the NFL.

If I HAD to compare someone, I would say Montana. Montana was great, like jordan, but he also had a GREAT supporting cast, like Jordan, and both won championships and were the "stars" on their respective teams.

Are there amazing players in the NFL that can win a game for their team? Sure there is. However, this is most personified by the NBA. You can not compare the impact of a Michael Jordan with anyone in the NFL simply because they are insanely different games. An NBA player can control the floor for an entire game... in the NFL that is not nearly as likely.

I think if Vick were in an offense that catered to his skills better, he'd be the closest thing in the history of the game. Maybe Jim Brown too -- nobody could stop that guy.

MischiefDolphin said:
Are there amazing players in the NFL that can win a game for their team? Sure there is. However, this is most personified by the NBA. You can not compare the impact of a Michael Jordan with anyone in the NFL simply because they are insanely different games. An NBA player can control the floor for an entire game... in the NFL that is not nearly as likely.
In the NBA the offense can be tailored for one player, if you do that in the NFL you get killed or never win anything.

can't compare...and you don't even need the excuse that football is an ultimate team game, it comes down to one simple reason. NFL players don't play both sides of the game. You can't rely on yourself to score on offense, then provide equal defense to stop a score.

Dan/Vick/Deion/etc. can do all they can on their side of the ball, but they have to sit and hope for the best when the other squad is out there. If someone ever pops up in the NFL that can be Vick/Dan on offense, and then turn around and be Deion/JT/Rod Woodson on defense all the time...then you have a comparison.

I think you CAN compare, but there is no one in football that revolutionized the sport like Jordan did for basketball.
Reggie Miller, Stockton, Iverson, Garnett are similar to Marino in that they are great players who should have but won't win a championship. The comparisons pretty much end there though.

Hmm, I don't think one person can carry a team as much as jordan did. Although in the case of great QB's their teams are nothing w/o them (well most are) and besides, Jordan played both offense and defense.

No comparison!

No, you cannot compare the two!

P.S. When did Michael Jordan EVER have a great supporting cast? I remember him having alot of players who knew their role in the triangle offense but, noone who I'd consider GREAT!

Can't compare. In the NBA a single player can carry an entire team the entire season. No one player can do that alone in the NFL or any team sport with more then 5 guys.

Jerry Rice? Please. Anyone can catch 5 yard dumps on a slant which puts him under LBs and run to the secondary for extra yac.

jordan wasn't just offense he was a great defender too, good passer and rebounder, etc...

you cant compare him to a football player of this era because these guys arent involved in every facet of a game...

Back
Top Bottom