Dispute Needing To Be Settled | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dispute Needing To Be Settled

Not comparable. Sheer # of players on court/team tells you that alone - 5 vs 22; the impact of each player on the court by responsibility by numbers alone is 4 and 2/5 x the impact and responsibility of each player on a starting NFL O/D.

Themajster said:
Hey guys I'm in an arguement with a guy at work and I wanted to see what the general consensus of the forums would be.

The question posed is:

Can you compare Michael Jordan in the NBA to a sinlge player in the NFL?

My pod-mate is saying yes because they are both team sports and where Michael Jordan is the greatest player of all time, he was never able to win championships without a good team around him.

I say no because Michael Jordan can make more of an impact as a single player in basketball than any single player in the NFL. There are some great NFL players like Dan Marino who is argueably the best QB of all time. But I don't think you can compare anyone in the NFL to the Jordan of NBA.

What does everyone think?
Bo did know baseball you know ... while MJ insisted that the strike zone was a deodorant.

twanderer said:
Hmm, I don't think one person can carry a team as much as jordan did. Although in the case of great QB's their teams are nothing w/o them (well most are) and besides, Jordan played both offense and defense.
AND sported one of those suspicious mustaches where if he had a hardhat, he'd qualify to record on the casablanca record label.

thedayafter said:
Cannot compare.... football is the ultimate team game and very interactive with all positions unlike the NBA where one player can literally take over a game.

'nuff (and well) said!!!

bigmiamifan said:
Can't compare. In the NBA a single player can carry an entire team the entire season. No one player can do that alone in the NFL or any team sport with more then 5 guys.

Jerry Rice? Please. Anyone can catch 5 yard dumps on a slant which puts him under LBs and run to the secondary for extra yac.
Jerry Rice just caught 5 yard slants...The best receiver ever to play organized football did a lil more than that.

Anyway I do agree that MJ changed basketball forever, and impacted it immediately. Football is too much of a team sport, and basketball especially in MJ's day, without zone defenses, was strictly mano y mano.

Can't compare the two at all.

Jnaledu3 said:
Jerry Rice.
It depends on what you are comparing. You can compare the fact that a football and basketball player both helped their teams to win championships. You can't however compare the amount of points the both scored. I would say the two players that you could compare the most are Michael Jordan and Jerry Rice.

Back
Top Bottom