Do we need anymore defensive upgrades or are we set? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do we need anymore defensive upgrades or are we set?

I'd love to upgrade everywhere, mainly in the secondary. But, the draft is over and until the training camp cuts, this is our team.

There will not be a lot we can do a this point.

He has proven himself to be mediocre... he wasn't terrible, but didn't really bring anything to the table either. If we don't upgrade his spot, it won't be the end of the world for us, but as of right now, he is definitely not a permanent solution as a starting safety.

Atila, not trying to be an ass. But there's 64 safeties in the league, not only is Clemons one of the fastest timed safeties, Clemons is coming off his best year for us. Pro Football Focus ranked him sixth in tackling efficiency among safeties.

Clemons may not have been as accomplished as his counterpart, but he was good enough to be ranked 25th in a field of 87 NFL safeties. His 99 tackles (80 solo, 10 assists, 2 INT) and zero touchdowns helped solidify the center of the field. He allowed just 16 completions on 28 attempts, which is much more than Jones gave up, but still good enough to help him lock down the fifth best NFL rating among safeties with 600 plus snaps.

So we stand to get a better safety down the line? Yes, but is he as bad as we may believe, the statics don't bear that out..

would not mind adding Charles Woodson at FS but i'd be just fine if we don't add anything else to the defense

Safeties could stand to be upgraded but the biggest issue on D is having multiple DT come up for FA next year. We either need to resign, replace, or draft for those positions. For this season we're in good shape if the CB situation gets sorted out.

Atila, not trying to be an ass. But there's 64 safeties in the league, not only is Clemons one of the fastest timed safeties, Clemons is coming off his best year for us. Pro Football Focus ranked him sixth in tackling efficiency among safeties.

Clemons may not have been as accomplished as his counterpart, but he was good enough to be ranked 25th in a field of 87 NFL safeties. His 99 tackles (80 solo, 10 assists, 2 INT) and zero touchdowns helped solidify the center of the field. He allowed just 16 completions on 28 attempts, which is much more than Jones gave up, but still good enough to help him lock down the fifth best NFL rating among safeties with 600 plus snaps.

So we stand to get a better safety down the line? Yes, but is he as bad as we may believe, the statics don't bear that out..

I don't think you're an ass at all. I saw all those stats, but stats don't tell exactly everything going on. TO BE VERY CLEAR: I'm not hating on Clemons, far from it, I think he is at least decent. He is pretty fast and a pretty solid tackler.

He didn't give up touchdowns because he was extremely conservative in his coverages - not sure if that was a result of scheme or personnel, but he was CONSTANTLY getting beat underneath. They may not have "credited" him with giving up passes underneath, but that doesn't matter to me - if you watched the games, he had a lot of balls caught underneath his zones. Furthermore, he didn't add anything to a defense that didn't create many turnovers.

He is going to most likely start this season and that's okay, I don't expect him to be a glaring weakness on our team. But just to reiterate what I said in my previous post, he is not a starting caliber safety on an *elite* defense. That doesn't make him a bad player, not everyone is going to the Pro Bowl.

Look, those stats are nice as a supplement. They are not an end all, be all. Chris Clemons is not a problem, but last season, he was not the solution either. I expect and I hope he improves next season... but judging him based on his output last season (by watching the games, watching the tape, and not the stats), he was more like top 30-40 safety (which is to say, not the worst, but far from the best).

Does it seem weird that the dolphins have been in the top 5 in pass D (avg./gm) for the AFC 4 out of the last 5 years ?

I don't think you're an ass at all. I saw all those stats, but stats don't tell exactly everything going on. TO BE VERY CLEAR: I'm not hating on Clemons, far from it, I think he is at least decent. He is pretty fast and a pretty solid tackler.

He didn't give up touchdowns because he was extremely conservative in his coverages - not sure if that was a result of scheme or personnel, but he was CONSTANTLY getting beat underneath. They may not have "credited" him with giving up passes underneath, but that doesn't matter to me - if you watched the games, he had a lot of balls caught underneath his zones. Furthermore, he didn't add anything to a defense that didn't create many turnovers.

He is going to most likely start this season and that's okay, I don't expect him to be a glaring weakness on our team. But just to reiterate what I said in my previous post, he is not a starting caliber safety on an *elite* defense. That doesn't make him a bad player, not everyone is going to the Pro Bowl.

Look, those stats are nice as a supplement. They are not an end all, be all. Chris Clemons is not a problem, but last season, he was not the solution either. I expect and I hope he improves next season... but judging him based on his output last season (by watching the games, watching the tape, and not the stats), he was more like top 30-40 safety (which is to say, not the worst, but far from the best).

I have to admit, I didn't see the underneath stuff and I've watching every game on All-22 Atleast 4 or five times... I'm going to have to take a closer look, maybe you're right!

What the Hell? I thought this was a "passing league"

Id like to upgrade Clemons. Also, you can never have enough pass rush and corners, just saying.

Keep this name in my mind for Mini-camps and training camps - Kelcie McCray.. He might start this season ahead of Clemons.

I believe there is going to be some talented cap cuts coming available cheap, and we do have some cash to spend. I could see a safety, maybe a vet LB for depth, and a young DT if one comes available.

Wel, the defence looks pretty good on paper. Now they need to actually execute out on the field. We need to improve our pass rush which is why they drafted Jordan. He has potential but he still needs to go out there and do it in the games. If the pass rush can be consisten then the rest of the defence will be much better for it.

Ozzy rules!!

DT is important for next year with Starks and Soliai both potential high priced FA's. We may well lose both, leaving only Odrick, and a need in the rotation for 2 players. Rookie DT's are seldom ready their first year. I can see this on Irelands shopping list.

There are still people out there that think our most solid Safety is no good???? :lol: That made me laugh

Back
Top Bottom