Does Steve Ross's Age Matter For The Dolphins? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Steve Ross's Age Matter For The Dolphins?

phinsforlife

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Steve Ross is not your typical bad owner. He has tried to win, as opposed to using the franchise as his personal piggy bank, like many owners in sports tend to do (for example Loria with the Marlins). He has spared no expense, neither payroll nor team facilities. The just released NFLPA players survey shined a very favorable light on him.

However, in his tenure here as owner, without rehashing all the gory details, he has made a lot of poor decisions when it comes to the coaches and GMs he has hired, as well as some other organizational mistakes.

But, at least, his goal really does seem to have been to win a Super Bowl. Spent the money to try and do it, tanked (poorly) to try and do it, and fired coaches and GMs to try and do it.

Now, is winning a Super Bowl still Steve Ross's goal?

He is 83 years old. He knows the clock is ticking. That is one of the reasons why he is now considering selling a piece of the team.

Is it possible at this point, Steve Ross just wants to not suck again, and go through the pain and embarrassment of another rebuild, that could potentially fail as well, and another wash, rinse, repeat? Is that now Ross's goal for the organization - maintain status quo, put a respectable product on the field, and be done with it? Or alternatively, does he believe what is here is Super Bowl caliber stuff for the next 5-10 years?

It sounds like Tua is going to get his big deal. Do not kid yourself, when it comes to 5 years and $250mm, this is an ownership decision.

The million dollar question is what internally do they really think about Tua? Do they believe he is a Super Bowl winning QB, or do they believe they will be "fine" with Tua back there, and put a decent product on the field, but never truly be a great team, especially if Tua takes up a big portion of the salary cap?

Nobody knows the answer to this question.

The question is, does Tua get this deal because they believe he is that good, or at his age Ross does not want to go through the whole process of finding another QB and stinking while you try and do it, and then hearing everyone complain about what a bad owner he is all over again?

This is just food for thought. I do not know the answer. However, I do think the calculus on this one is quite complex, and there may be more things at play than people realize.

To be clear, nowhere did I say Tua is a bad QB. Nowhere did I say they believe they cannot win a Super Bowl with him getting 5 and $250mm. I am just raising the question about what they really think (as opposed to what they say, because of course when they give him the deal they will tell us he is the guy to win us a SB), and what will really drive their (which in this case will ultimately be Ross) decision making?

Last edited:
His posts are always about Tua.
you guys have a very selective way of reading things to come to whatever conclusion you want to. and you don't address the content. do you know what they think? does his age matter? what will drive their decision? why can't you address the question at hand? or are you worried as to what the answer might be?

Ross owns the Fins. He can do as he likes.
Tua? He will be the starter for the next few seasons.
We are in a win now window.
The end.
yes. agree. this will all be on ross. he will either be wrong or right. more or less his final legacy will be how this decision turns out. and this one is his decision. so hopefully, whatever they do, he gets it right...for his sake as well as ours. he doesnt get many more bites at the apple, i got ~40 years of it left and dont want it to be like the last 23

Last edited:
Depends on his health which we don't have access to that information at this point in time. Is he healthy for 83? Or is he battling anything like HBP, diabetes, etc.

All of it plays a roll into his actions....

Keep in mind he can also transfer it to his daughter slowly so she isn't suddenly consumed with it all...

IMHO...if he doesn't slowly transition soon ....when he goes....Jennifer Ross is selling the team immediately.

Is Ross a good owner?

Good side: He spends, has best amenities in NFL, and doesn’t mettle… awesome.

Bad: He has never had a coach last 4 seasons, and his franchise has the longest running playoff win draught in NFL. He is also regularly involved in embarrassment stories, hiring Harbaugh, takes press conference about trying to Watson if he can settle with 20+ accusers, sued for “joking” to pay to lose, and suspended & docked draft picks for collusion TWICE, etc. I didn’t include bullygate but he hired Philbin to lead a locker room of alpha males…. awful.

🤷🏻‍♂️

you guys have a very selective way of reading things to come to whatever conclusion you want to. and you don't address the content. do you know what they think? does his age matter? what will drive their decision? why can't you address the question at hand? or are you worried as to what the answer might be?
do you know what they think? No one truly knows what they think aside from Grier and Ross themselves. All signs point to thinking Tua is the QB going forward.

does his age matter? No, his age doesn't matter. He has owned the team nearly 20 years now. The one thing he wants is a SB title. If he feels the team is talented enough and just needs tweaking to win it, he's going to do that. If he thinks tearing it down and starting over will do it, he'll do that.

what will drive their decision? On Tua - whether they think he is "the guy" or not, period.

why can't you address the question at hand? or are you worried as to what the answer might be? Afraid of what answer - whether he thinks the team can win a SB as constituted now or does he favor a rebuild? Doesn't matter to me. For me, the only fear with an owner is does he really want to win or are profits his only motivation. As you stated, Jeffrey Luria NEVER had an intention to win a World Series - if it fell in his lap like in 2003, great, but he never invested one penny into the team unless it could lead him to more profit, such as agreeing to increase payroll if a stadium was built. As soon as he had the stadium in hand, fire sales began anew.

Back
Top Bottom