Does Steve Ross's Age Matter For The Dolphins? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Steve Ross's Age Matter For The Dolphins?

Is it possible at this point, Steve Ross just wants to not suck again, and go through the pain and embarrassment of another rebuild, that could potentially fail as well, and another wash, rinse, repeat?
The Dolphins are good so no need to tear it down and rebuild. I am hopeful that Ross is smart enough to realize that Tua had a shot, proved to be not good enough, and that a new QB could be the last piece of the puzzle that brings his Dolphins a Super Bowl Championship.

do you know what they think? No one truly knows what they think aside from Grier and Ross themselves. All signs point to thinking Tua is the QB going forward.

does his age matter? No, his age doesn't matter. He has owned the team nearly 20 years now. The one thing he wants is a SB title. If he feels the team is talented enough and just needs tweaking to win it, he's going to do that. If he thinks tearing it down and starting over will do it, he'll do that.

what will drive their decision? On Tua - whether they think he is "the guy" or not, period.

why can't you address the question at hand? or are you worried as to what the answer might be? Afraid of what answer - whether he thinks the team can win a SB as constituted now or does he favor a rebuild? Doesn't matter to me. For me, the only fear with an owner is does he really want to win or are profits his only motivation. As you stated, Jeffrey Luria NEVER had an intention to win a World Series - if it fell in his lap like in 2003, great, but he never invested one penny into the team unless it could lead him to more profit, such as agreeing to increase payroll if a stadium was built. As soon as he had the stadium in hand, fire sales began anew.
thank you. i am not as certain as you that the decision on tua will be based on whether or not they think he is the guy to win a SB for them. it may just be at this point it is the easiest and least painful thing to do. i do not know this. i do not know what ross is being told by grier and mcdaniel. they may be telling him tua is the guy that gets them to the promised land and the team will be very good even with tua commanding a $50mm cap hit. they may be telling ross that they can extend him, shove money around for another year, and have a good shot, but then after that, with tua commanding a big piece of the cap, they will probably be mediocre. i have no idea. both things are plausible. or something in between. this one is going to be ross's decision at the end of the day, and i hope he gets it right!

do you know what they think? No one truly knows what they think aside from Grier and Ross themselves. All signs point to thinking Tua is the QB going forward.

does his age matter? No, his age doesn't matter. He has owned the team nearly 20 years now. The one thing he wants is a SB title. If he feels the team is talented enough and just needs tweaking to win it, he's going to do that. If he thinks tearing it down and starting over will do it, he'll do that.

what will drive their decision? On Tua - whether they think he is "the guy" or not, period.

why can't you address the question at hand? or are you worried as to what the answer might be? Afraid of what answer - whether he thinks the team can win a SB as constituted now or does he favor a rebuild? Doesn't matter to me. For me, the only fear with an owner is does he really want to win or are profits his only motivation. As you stated, Jeffrey Luria NEVER had an intention to win a World Series - if it fell in his lap like in 2003, great, but he never invested one penny into the team unless it could lead him to more profit, such as agreeing to increase payroll if a stadium was built. As soon as he had the stadium in hand, fire sales began anew.

I don't think he really deep down gives a **** if we ever win a SB. What he wants is this franchise to continue to make him money and grow in value. If that happens without a SB so be it. He's a business man through and through. He invests in his franchise and its real estate holdings (stadium and its surroundings) like he would any other business and looks at the profit/loss like any business owner would.

Jeff and the Marlins....thats another ballgame 😂...guy was primarily rich as an art dealer if I remember right and he was always looking to knee cap the payroll...he wasnt a billionaire real estate corporate guy like Ross. These 2 guys were both rich but it stops there as they had two different mind sets on how to build a business. In the end though the goal is the same, profitability and long term growth of the asset(s). SBs, World Series and all that is a sidebar....or a feather in the cap....icing on the proverbial cake 😂 😂

Last edited:
I don't think he really deep down gives a **** if we ever win a SB. What he wants is this franchise to continue to make him money and grow in value. If that happens without a SB so be it. He's a business man through and through. He invests in his franchise and its real estate holdings (stadium and its surroundings) like he would any other business and looks at the profit/loss like any business owner would.

Jeff and the Marlins....thats another ballgame 😂...guy was primarily rich as an art dealer if I remember right and he was always looking to knee cap the payroll...he wasnt a billionaire real estate corporate guy like Ross. These 2 guys were both rich but it stops there as they had two different mind sets on how to build a business. In the end though the goal is the same, profitability and long term growth of the asset(s). SBs, World Series and all that is a sidebar....or a feather in the cap....icing on the proverbial cake 😂 😂
you know i am not so sure. that was part of my OP. i do believe he really wanted to win a SB, and tried really hard, but was just incompetent, and also had a little bad luck. now, i am worried, at his age, what you describe might be more true OR maybe better said he might be fatigued, and cant stomach starting over again with a new QB or GM. i am still perplexed at the rush to hand tua 5 and $250mm when they could just let him play out his 5th year option, then they can decide after that. look i could be completely wrong. they might fully believe tua is the guy and believe they get him cheaper by locking it down now. but i am worried ross just doesnt want to start over and he thinks the least painful thing to do is to lock tua up now, even if he doesnt believe he is a sb QB

Last edited:

or let me ask the question a different way. if steve ross was told by grier and mcdaniel that they are unlikely to win a SB with Tua, but they will still be pretty good and have an entertaining team, and if they walk from tua they might go 6-11 again or something like that, do you think ross would give tua the 5 and 250mm? i think at this point ross might. the fact that they seem ready to hand him the deal as opposed to waiting a year and letting him play out the option also makes me think this is part of the thinking. but i dont know, and the retort could certainly be they want to lock him up now because they really do believe in tua as a SB QB, and this is the cheapest way to get him

Ross definitely want to win a SB BUT I do agree that it’s not his priority. I believe he has given up home field advantage by having home games overseas to be awarded with hosting SBs. That shows where he stands

thank you. i am not as certain as you that the decision on tua will be based on whether or not they think he is the guy to win a SB for them. it may just be at this point it is the easiest and least painful thing to do. i do not know this. i do not know what ross is being told by grier and mcdaniel. they may be telling him tua is the guy that gets them to the promised land and the team will be very good even with tua commanding a $50mm cap hit. they may be telling ross that they can extend him, shove money around for another year, and have a good shot, but then after that, with tua commanding a big piece of the cap, they will probably be mediocre. i have no idea. both things are plausible. or something in between. this one is going to be ross's decision at the end of the day, and i hope he gets it right!
Hopefully they are telling Mr. Ross that 5th year option is good for 2024, and if 2024 season is a good one (and he still wants Tua as QB) the franchise tag is available.

or let me ask the question a different way. if steve ross was told by grier and mcdaniel that they are unlikely to win a SB with Tua, but they will still be pretty good and have an entertaining team, and if they walk from tua they might go 6-11 again or something like that, do you think ross would give tua the 5 and 250mm? i think at this point ross might. the fact that they seem ready to hand him the deal as opposed to waiting a year and letting him play out the option also makes me think this is part of the thinking. but i dont know, and the retort could certainly be they want to lock him up now because they really do believe in tua as a SB QB, and this is the cheapest way to get him
First, I don't think Grier would dare say such a thing to Ross. If he did, Ross should fire him on the spot - I gave you 5 years to do a rebuild and you're saying the QB you drafted and I fired a coach for is UNLIKELY to win me a SB AND you want me to pay him $250M to just field an entertaining team, but will fold in the playoffs every year?

If they think Tua's can't-miss, they are signing him to a long-term deal this offseason with most, if not all, guaranteed money and tough to get out of. If they don't sign him, it'll show they have their doubts - less guaranteed money, easier to get out of for cap purposes, etc. which Tua will not sign. I don't think Ross' age comes into play at all.

Hopefully they are telling Mr. Ross that 5th year option is good for 2024, and if 2024 season is a good one (and he still wants Tua as QB) the franchise tag is available.
so i agree with all of these things, but then we keep hearing more and more they are ready to hand tua the 5 and 250mm now. so why would they do this now when they dont have to? i really wonder if ross just wants to get it over with because he is old and tired and just doesnt want to risk the same process all over again

Appreciate the post. I do disagree though. If he was only focused on profit, he wouldn't pay for all the amenities that the players have touted for the past 2 years as one of the primo owners in the league. I'm not talking about the practice facility or stadium improvements because you can say those are investments that will make the Dolphins fetch a higher price on the sales market. I'm talking about the free 3 meals a day, large training staff, etc.

Plus, his willingness to spend money on free agents shows he's not spending on a shoestring budget.

First, I don't think Grier would dare say such a thing to Ross. If he did, Ross should fire him on the spot - I gave you 5 years to do a rebuild and you're saying the QB you drafted and I fired a coach for is UNLIKELY to win me a SB AND you want me to pay him $250M to just field an entertaining team, but will fold in the playoffs every year?

If they think Tua's can't-miss, they are signing him to a long-term deal this offseason with most, if not all, guaranteed money and tough to get out of. If they don't sign him, it'll show they have their doubts - less guaranteed money, easier to get out of for cap purposes, etc. which Tua will not sign. I don't think Ross' age comes into play at all.
this i think is a good point. and i am worried about it. grier is probably somewhat incentivized to blow some smoke up ross's tush. on the other hand, mcdaniel is not, because he is not the one that drafted tua. hopefully ross has a private conversation with mcdaniel, without grier in the room. having said all of that, i have no freaking idea exactly what mcdaniel thinks either. i would think that despite what mcdaniel publicly says, given the way last year ended, mcdaniel has to be aware of tuas limitations. but it is possible mcdaniel does actually beleive tua is the guy, and the end of last year was an aberration. net/net i have such a hard time understanding the rush to hand tua the 5 and 250 now, and i keep going back to ross and his age. maybe it is a me thing, and those guys all really do believe that strongly in the kid. i dunno, i just know i dont get it

this i think is a good point. and i am worried about it. grier is probably somewhat incentivized to blow some smoke up ross's tush. on the other hand, mcdaniel is not, because he is not the one that drafted tua. hopefully ross has a private conversation with mcdaniel, without grier in the room. having said all of that, i have no freaking idea exactly what mcdaniel thinks either. i would think that despite what mcdaniel publicly says, given the way last year ended, mcdaniel has to be aware of tuas limitations. but it is possible mcdaniel does actually beleive tua is the guy, and the end of last year was an aberration. net/net i have such a hard time understanding the rush to hand tua the 5 and 250 now, and i keep going back to ross and his age. maybe it is a me thing, and those guys all really do believe that strongly in the kid. i dunno, i just dont get it

Appreciate the post. I do disagree though. If he was only focused on profit, he wouldn't pay for all the amenities that the players have touted for the past 2 years as one of the primo owners in the league. I'm not talking about the practice facility or stadium improvements because you can say those are investments that will make the Dolphins fetch a higher price on the sales market. I'm talking about the free 3 meals a day, large training staff, etc.

Plus, his willingness to spend money on free agents shows he's not spending on a shoestring budget.

True...you make a great point.....I don't know about the money to FAs because that's just part of keeping the business competitive with likewise businesses or in this case teams....I just don't think he in the end cares if we win it all because if people buy anyway he is fine with it....it's a long term investment that's doing good and he's gonna sell it or his daughter will for a pretty nice profit...

this i think is a good point. and i am worried about it. grier is probably somewhat incentivized to blow some smoke up ross's tush. on the other hand, mcdaniel is not, because he is not the one that drafted tua. hopefully ross has a private conversation with mcdaniel, without grier in the room. having said all of that, i have no freaking idea exactly what mcdaniel thinks either. i would think that despite what mcdaniel publicly says, given the way last year ended, mcdaniel has to be aware of tuas limitations. but it is possible mcdaniel does actually beleive tua is the guy, and the end of last year was an aberration. net/net i have such a hard time understanding the rush to hand tua the 5 and 250 now, and i keep going back to ross and his age. maybe it is a me thing, and those guys all really do believe that strongly in the kid. i dunno, i just know i dont get it
I am not a Tua is God guy by any means. He definitely has his physical limitations and at times, questionable decision-making, but he does fit the offense well, has shown he can put up numbers of as one of the best in the league, and the offense was damn lights out last year WHEN HEALTHY.

With his physical limitations, he absolutely needs a top notch OL in front of him. There are very few Patrick Mahomes & Josh Allens who can win games just based on their physical abilities when the OL isn't clicking. I think the Dolphins can win a SB with Tua, but like just about every championship football team since the beginning of time, they will need to assemble a dominant OL (and healthy/dependable). Can they do it with paying Tua big time money? We'll see. Even with the money available, does Grier have it in him to identify and bring in the talent? With his length of time here and the continued struggles on the OL, it doesn't look good.

I am not a Tua is God guy by any means. He definitely has his physical limitations and at times, questionable decision-making, but he does fit the offense well, has shown he can put up numbers of as one of the best in the league, and the offense was damn lights out last year WHEN HEALTHY.

With his physical limitations, he absolutely needs a top notch OL in front of him. There are very few Patrick Mahomes & Josh Allens who can win games just based on their physical abilities when the OL isn't clicking. I think the Dolphins can win a SB with Tua, but like just about every championship football team since the beginning of time, they will need to assemble a dominant OL (and healthy/dependable). Can they do it with paying Tua big time money? We'll see. Even with the money available, does Grier have it in him to identify and bring in the talent? With his length of time here and the continued struggles on the OL, it doesn't look good.
i share your concern re grier making this all work!

Back
Top Bottom