Dolphin chatter from Barry Jackson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphin chatter from Barry Jackson

fishfanmiami

Let's go Dolphins
Administrator
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
### If the Dolphins do not keep Soliai or Starks, they will push to sign a starter from among a group that includes the Giants’ Linval Joseph, Chicago’s Henry Melton, Baltimore’s Arthur Jones, Dallas’ Jason Hatcher, Atlanta’s Jonathan Babineaux or Peria Jerry, Houston’sEarl Mitchell and Oakland’s Pat Sims and Vance Walker and San Diego’s Cam Thomas. Also available: Minnesota’s Kevin Williams andFred Evans and the Giants’ Mike Patterson.

### Cornerback Nolan Carroll is expected to test free agency. The Dolphins want to keep him, but he wants to be paid like a starter, according to an official who spoke to the Dolphins’ front office. Miami is reluctant to do that, but a deal could still be reached.

### The Dolphins have decided to move Dannell Ellerbe to outside linebacker (weakside) if they sign middle linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, who visited the Dolphins on Tuesday and will choose among Denver, Indianapolis, Miami and Tennessee. Jackson, cut by Cleveland last month, will visit the Colts on Wednesday before deciding his next team.
Philip Wheeler, if he sticks around, would compete with Koa Misi at strongside linebacker. Misi is Miami’s best linebacker against the run, which was a deficiency in 2013. Cutting Ellerbe (who is guaranteed $6 million in 2014) and Wheeler (guaranteed $5 million) wouldn't help because their cap hits are the same if they stay or go.
Jackson was below average against the run last season but better than Wheeler, according to ProFootballFocus.com. Among free agent linebackers who were effective against the run, options would include the Patriots’ Brandon Spikes, the Giants’ Jon Beason, Cincinnati’s Vinny Rey and Houston’s Daryl Sharpton.
Spikes, expected to move on from New England, would be an upgrade, but he’s not a conformist (he didn’t show up for voluntary workouts last June) and Joe Philbin likes conformists.

Players can speak to other teams beginning Saturday but cannot sign with a new team before Tuesday.
### Among their restricted free agents, the Dolphins made a tender to quarterback Pat Devlin (Philbin likes him; Miami gave him an exclusive rights tender) but not to cornerback R.J. Stanford or tackle Will Yeatman, both of whom thus become unrestricted free agents. Danny Watkins' agent said he didn't expect Watkins to be tendered.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...rileys-view-um-heat-luongo.html#storylink=cpy

I'd absolutely take a chance on Melton for the right price. If he returns to pre-ACL injury form that dude can be a beast.

Thank goodness we can move on from Will Yeatman posts of him being an answer at LT. Nothing against Yeatman. Everything against posters that pinned for him to start at LT.

I think Miami should play the market at DT. Nothing wrong with allowing for some dollar amounts to come down. Plus, more players could be added to this group after cuts are made.

Is it just my perception, but is Ellerbee too slow to play Will backer?

most those big name dts are not good vs the run...wheeler at strong side olb ha ha good luck with that...jon beason is someone that interest me in a 2 down way

no tender for will yeatman...guess they've given up

kevin williams is washed up

doesnt sound like lb is something they want to supplement in the draft if they can sign a veteran...

Is it just my perception, but is Ellerbee too slow to play Will backer?

My thoughts exactly!!! If you think about it Misi can barely keep up and I think Ellerbee maybe a little slower. Ideally, it seems to me that both of those players are ILBs in a 3-4 scheme. When I think of OLB i think of guys that can move and cover...

I think what is funny is seeing Fred Evans on that list. A former saban disciple

Melton. Top 5 DT when healthy. Only reason he is seeing FA is due to injury...Id be betting on him returning to form.

i'd sign for melton too but you need a plugger next to him...cam thomas would probably work for that in a rotation with odrick...and he shouldn't cost much...melton if he hits though will have a market...guys like jason hatcher off his sack performance in a 43 would cost more than solia or starks so that's out...

melton could sign a one year deal to show people he's still got it and then try to cash in next offseason for big money...

if cam thomas market is more than $4 million per i'd be surprised

Barry Jackson's statement on Devlin is confusing. He calls Devlin a restricted free agent but says we placed an exclusive rights tender on him. Either he is a restricted free agent or an exclusive rights free agent, he can't be both. The difference between salaries would be around $500,000(exclusive) or at least $1.4 million for a restricted free agent(depends on tender level). Which is it?

Can't say I am susprised that they are deciding agaisnt tenders for Stanford, Yeatman and Watkins. None of those guys is worth $1.4 million - $3.1 million that the restricted tender would demand.

My next question is will the Dolphins place exlusive rights tenders on Jonathan Freeny and Michael Thomas? I hope so.

i'd sign for melton too but you need a plugger next to him...cam thomas would probably work for that in a rotation with odrick...and he shouldn't cost much...melton if he hits though will have a market...guys like jason hatcher off his sack performance in a 43 would cost more than solia or starks so that's out...

melton could sign a one year deal to show people he's still got it and then try to cash in next offseason for big money...

if cam thomas market is more than $4 million per i'd be surprised

Its pretty similar to the Grimes situation last year. Not the same injury but I agree I think he will go for a 1-yr prove it deal. Cam Thomas would be a nice sign...there are a few pluggers in the draft as well.

thing about melton is he's getting up field he doesnt play a lot of assignment football...he wants to get to the qb on every snap...jason hatchers like that also but he exploded in 2013...

i just think if you roll with odrick and melton as your starting dts the run d is gonna look ugly for more than just the lbs and de's...dt's also...these are gap shooters not contain guys

offense under lazor better take it to another level to try and offset...

Barry Jackson's statement on Devlin is confusing. He calls Devlin a restricted free agent but says we placed an exclusive rights tender on him. Either he is a restricted free agent or an exclusive rights free agent, he can't be both. The difference between salaries would be around $500,000(exclusive) or at least $1.4 million for a restricted free agent(depends on tender level). Which is it?

Can't say I am susprised that they are deciding agaisnt tenders for Stanford, Yeatman and Watkins. None of those guys is worth $1.4 million - $3.1 million that the restricted tender would demand.

My next question is will the Dolphins place exlusive rights tenders on Jonathan Freeny and Michael Thomas? I hope so.

We already have Thomas for 2014 Nubs.

Contract: view contract details[x]
2014: $495,000, 2015: Exclusive Rights Free Agent

I'd pay big Paul. I like Melton and Mitchell but all 3 division opponents relied on the run in 2013. We would be in trouble without a run stop DT. I'll take Brandon Spikes, so long as he doesn't break the bank.

Back
Top Bottom