Dolphin chatter from Barry Jackson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphin chatter from Barry Jackson

thing about melton is he's getting up field he doesnt play a lot of assignment football...he wants to get to the qb on every snap...jason hatchers like that also but he exploded in 2013...

i just think if you roll with odrick and melton as your starting dts the run d is gonna look ugly for more than just the lbs and de's...dt's also...these are gap shooters not contain guys

offense under lazor better take it to another level to try and offset...

Agreed it would be a trade off. You would be trading off run defense for a potentially devastating interior pass rush with Odrick and Melton though. If that were the case...I agree they would need the 3rd rotational guy to be a plug. Thats worth the tradeoff IMO. Especially if the LB play could actually be mediocre this year...good grief

Agreed it would be a trade off. You would be trading off run defense for a potentially devastating interior pass rush with Odrick and Melton though. If that were the case...I agree they would need the 3rd rotational guy to be a plug. Thats worth the tradeoff IMO. Especially if the LB play could actually be mediocre this year...good grief

just keep in mind that dion jordan must get snaps and in order for that to happen barring injury olivier vernon will kick inside in obvious pass downs to rush on the inside next to odrick...with wake and jordan on the edges

does miami have enough pass rush snaps for melton odrick vernon and jordan if they brought him on...barring injury i don't think so...imo the smart play for us would be to land the plugger and then he wont effect snaps in obvious pass sets for others and jordan will get more run in the de rotation...

if i had to guess that's exactly what they will do...go the plugger route...if they let solia and starks walk...cam thomas then makes a lot of sense to me

most those big name dts are not good vs the run...wheeler at strong side olb ha ha good luck with that...jon beason is someone that interest me in a 2 down way

no tender for will yeatman...guess they've given up

kevin williams is washed up

doesnt sound like lb is something they want to supplement in the draft if they can sign a veteran...

Agreed.

But, Melton would play the Starks position ... just like Odrick ... and Shelby. I would be surprised if we let Soliai walk and tried to replace him with Melton.

The OL doesn't really surprise me. Hickey is going to do a complete overhaul and none of those guys flashed special talent. We will bring in a FA or two and probably 3 draftees. More than just Martin, Incognito and Jerry are leaving. I'd guess Garner and Brenner will get shots. Le of the other reserves are likely gone.

Just re-sign Soliai. We have got to stop being in the business of parting with really good football players. He's home grown. Give him a fair contract and keep him!

Just re-sign Soliai. We have got to stop being in the business of parting with really good football players. He's home grown. Give him a fair contract and keep him!

He's decent! Let's not get carried away here and I can tolerate his attitude and slightly more consistent play compared to Starks.

i think starks and solia combined for around $12 mil in 2013...if you can replace them for say $4 mil to cam thomas and a rotational rookie dt early in the draft and pair them with odrick and maybe a aj francis as the 4th guy if he develops i dont think it's bad idea...pretty much half the price...there would be some give there obviously but that's money you can spend elsewhere of need...

tough call i guess...depending on rookie dt stable play is about as dicey as it gets...i dont care what round you draft the guy in...position takes time...would be awful to be soft up the middle...already have that at the 2nd level

i think starks and solia combined for around $12 mil in 2013...if you can replace them for say $4 mil to cam thomas and a rotational rookie dt early in the draft and pair them with odrick and maybe a aj francis as the 4th guy if he develops i dont think it's bad idea...pretty much half the price...there would be some give there obviously but that's money you can spend elsewhere of need...

tough call i guess...depending on rookie dt stable play is about as dicey as it gets...i dont care what round you draft the guy in...position takes time...would be awful to be soft up the middle...already have that at the 2nd level

My thoughts exactly. To pay Solia the kind of money he's well aware he can get is not a good investment for his role on this team. He just doesn't have the kind of value to us (from a snaps/scheme perspective) that he would have on another team. But as you said, it's a tough call. I wouldn't want to be Hickey on this decision, especially if we get consistently slashed against the run next year.

Why not pay big Paul 6 mil a year and go with a gap shooting DT from the draft? 2 Mil more but a better player and space eaters are harder to find then Gap Shooting DTs. Just my thoughts. Still saving roughly 6 mil a year which could land us a very good FA guard.

As usual we will get caught up in kill-the-QB pass rush fantasies and will ignore the run.

This team needs SPACE EATING DLmen who can own the line of scrimmage. We HAVE one and are already letting him slip away. We move up in the draft to get the guys who are the pole-end opposite of what we need because we want to be like other teams and play blow-up-the-box while leaving ourselves vulnerable to even mediocre runners.

I am watching what happens with Vince Wilfork to see if he is cut. I got a gut feeling that he comes back okay.

Really how we re-sign Solai, in our division you clearly need to be able to stop the run or you are screwed. Apart from that it looks like we are having a mini clearout which isn't a surprise with a new GM. It does however make you question how Philbin valued these guys, was Ireland riding roughshod over Philbin's opinion.

There are some very effective run stuffers besides Soliai in FA. Relax. If the team does not address that, then we can panic.

Back
Top Bottom