Dolphins Best and Worst FAs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Best and Worst FAs

eMCee85

Club Member
Reaction score
Thought this was a cool article.

via http://cbssportsapp.com

Best signing: OL Jim Langer (1970)

After going undrafted, Langer was cut by the Browns before he was signed by Don Shula in Miami. After two years on the bench, Langer became the Dolphins' starting center in 1972. That season, Langer helped Miami complete the NFL's only perfect season. The following season, he earned the first of six consecutive Pro Bowl selections while helping the Dolphins retreat as champions. A three-time All-Pro, Langer was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1987

Worst signing: WR Chad Johnson (2012)

A former All-Pro with the Bengals, Johnson signed with Miami after a disappointing 2011 season in New England. Just six weeks after signing with them, Johnson was released by the Dolphins after he was arrested on a charge of domestic battery. He never played in the NFL again upon his release from the Dolphins.

too many bad ones to count. I cant think of a another really good one that really stands out. Was Paul Warfield a free agent acquisition or trade? The good ones we've had only stayed around two or 3 years.

Maybe Brock Marion? he haunted Brady early in his career. Loved that.

too many bad ones to count. I cant think of a another really good one that really stands out. Was Paul Warfield a free agent acquisition or trade? The good ones we've had only stayed around two or 3 years.

Maybe Brock Marion? he haunted Brady early in his career. Loved that.
Warfield was a trade

After going undrafted, Langer was cut by the Browns before he was signed by Don Shula in Miami. After two years on the bench, Langer became the Dolphins' starting center in 1972. That season, Langer helped Miami complete the NFL's only perfect season. The following season, he earned the first of six consecutive Pro Bowl selections while helping the Dolphins retreat as champions. A three-time All-Pro, Langer was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1987

A former All-Pro with the Bengals, Johnson signed with Miami after a disappointing 2011 season in New England. Just six weeks after signing with them, Johnson was released by the Dolphins after he was arrested on a charge of domestic battery. He never played in the NFL again upon his release from the Dolphins.
How is Chad Johnson the worst free agent signing we've ever done? Wasn't he brought in on a one-year deal around the veterans minimum? Just the same line of thinking would have to put Will Fuller ahead of Chad Johnson (1 year but for significantly more money).

I'd put Gibril Wilson or Ernest Wilford as worse FA signings for Miami than Chad Johnson.

I feel like the deal we gave to Ndamukong Suh was exceptionally poor. Great player, but absolutely nowhere near worth the contract he was given based on his production.

The Jay Cutler signing was up there too by just the sheer amount of not-giving-a-****. He was getting fat on his couch and out of desperation they gave him $10 million to save the season. Oh well.

And let us not forget Byron Jones. That was definitely one of the deals of all time. Will Fuller, too, who gave the Dolphins a whopping 4 catches for $10 million.

I mean, Cecil Collins ended up in prison for literally breaking into a woman’s bedroom, so I’ve got to think he was worst than Chad Johnson. Jimmy Johnson took a chance on Cecil and that blew up in our faces. Ocho Cinco became “Ocho Stinko” when he played for us, so there was that. Didn’t we also sign Lawrence Phillips who also ended up in prison, also under JJ, in fact I think Lawrence just died in prison a few years ago. Both of those guys were worst signings than Chad Ocho Stinko.

well there is at least some context as to why we signed Cutler. Its not like we signed him because we wanted to or because we thought he was an upgrade.

He was a bad signing because we should’ve just taken our lumps and lost as much as possible and saved the $10M in cap space.

We chose to chase a .500 record nothing.

Back
Top Bottom