Dolphins Best and Worst FAs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Best and Worst FAs

Wallace contract was 5 years and 12 mil a year average. That was roughly 10% of the 120 mil cap back in 2012. He played 2 seasons and 30 mil guaranteed! One of the 2 seasons he had 140 targets with about 70 receptions and 5 TDs! šŸ˜‚

We actually have 3 of the best signings on the current team. Zach Sieler, Raheem Mostert and Alec Ingold. Each one has delivered great value and are terrific team first guys. Remember, Mostert only broke the Dolphins team's season TD record last season. OK, when one looks at all time very best, Cam Wake is probably up there.
In terms of worst free agents - Lawrence Timmons from the Steelers was a complete dud. Mike Wallace was terrrrrible too. (Charles Barkley pronunciation preferred). Key learning - keep away from expensive Pittsburgh Steeler free agents. If there was any gas left in their tanks, the Steelers would have re-signed them.

Last edited:
Darn I couldn't believe this thread was going to allow me to scream Earl Morrall, until the last post on the most recent page. Good job RedFivebeating me to the name.

That signing was low profile at the time. The two Colts quarterbacks Johnny Unitas and Earl Morrall were old and considered washed up. They had basically split time in 1971. Neither one was happy about it. Baltimore knew something had to change so they went with long time loyalty to the legend Unitas, and cut Earl Morrall.

It was disastrous for the Colts in 1972. Unitas got hurt and they had a horrendous season with journeyman Marty Domres at quarterback. But similar to today that awful season paid huge dividends via the second pick in the draft, which turned into Bert Jones, the slingshot artist from LSU. Jones gave the Dolphins fits for years. It can't be understated how frustrating that was, and how much animosity there was toward Bert Jones from the Dolphin fanbase. The Colts were easily the biggest rival in those years. Jones was known as the quarterback with the horseshoe up the you know where.

It looked like Jones would be a nemesis until the mid '80s or beyond. It didn't play out that way to injury. I wasn't upset at the time. Now I'm sad about it. I'm not sure we ever saw Bert Jones' prime.

Morrall became legendary as the $100 waiver claim. I have no idea how that website named Jim Langer above him. The Perfect Season could have happened without Langer. Not without Morrall.

Back
Top Bottom