Dolphins could leave WQAM.Howard Stern coming to WQAM | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins could leave WQAM.Howard Stern coming to WQAM

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
Found this article today in the Miami Herald. Says on Aug 16th Howard Stern will be the morning show on WQAM.

The Fins with 1 year left on their contract with WQAM are not happy about it and might take their radio rights elsewhere after this season...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/9287946.htm

Wherever Howard Stern goes, a station format change coincides. The #1 hip-hop station in Austin changed to "hot talk" when the corporate suits at Infinity decided they needed another market for Stern. The move really stunned me because that format was tried in Austin a couple of years ago -- Stern, Don & Mike, Tom Leykis -- and it bombed. For all of the money they invested in promoting Howard, they would have been better off airing a test pattern.

I think the Dolphins would be a better fit for a news/sports station or even a FM station.

DolfanDaveInATX said:
Wherever Howard Stern goes, a station format change coincides. The #1 hip-hop station in Austin changed to "hot talk" when the corporate suits at Infinity decided they needed another market for Stern. The move really stunned me because that format was tried in Austin a couple of years ago -- Stern, Don & Mike, Tom Leykis -- and it bombed. For all of the money they invested in promoting Howard, they would have been better off airing a test pattern.

I think the Dolphins would be a better fit for a news/sports station or even a FM station.
With a new ALL SPORTS station popping up in Miami almost every month now. WQAM is probably looking to move off the ALL SPORTS format as the competition is just too much.

The thing is WQAM is #1 in the ALL SPORTS format in the Miami area if you look at the ratings. Why change the format?

And didn't WQAM fire Scott Ferrell last year because he was too "Stern-like" in his remarks? I understand firing "Stern-light" for THE REAL THING. But if the heat was too much for Stern-light, what is WQAM gonna do when Stern and the heat he usually brings from opponents occures?

This is a weird move for WQAM. Either move off of ALL SPORTS.........or stick with ALL SPORTS and don't add Stern.

Either way, the Miami Dolphins won't be on WQAM next season. That is for damn sure.

Howard David and Joe Rose gone

By bringing in the horses A$$ Stern, you can say goodbye to local morning sports talk shows in S Fla for now. The Howard David Show and Joe Rose show will both be off the air. Now sports talk will not start till 2:00 with the Mandich show. There is a sports show on 1400 am, and I here that ESPN may be buying a station 790 am. But I like the local guys who really care about the S FLa teams. This is a bad move by WQAM in my opinion.

Spegg said:
By bringing in the horses A$$ Stern, you can say goodbye to local morning sports talk shows in S Fla for now. The Howard David Show and Joe Rose show will both be off the air. Now sports talk will not start till 2:00 with the Mandich show. There is a sports show on 1400 am, and I here that ESPN may be buying a station 790 am. But I like the local guys who really care about the S FLa teams. This is a bad move by WQAM in my opinion.
It's a bad move because Stern on an AM station has never worked in this country. Stern is an FM station type of show. His show has never worked on AM stations.

Plus,. WQAM is the #1 all sports station in Miami. They should have stayed the course. They just put 1 all sports station out of business and all of these new pop up all sports station can't compete with them. WQAM is trying to expand its listening base......maybe it will work. But they pissed off a bunch of sports fans and will lose a bunch of sports fans.

If Stern brings in new listeners and more of them, then what they did was a success. If he doesn't, then WQAM just lost a lot of money

Stern WILL bring listeners. The hardcore sports fan might stop listening to QAM until 2 when Mad Dog comes on, but all the Stern fans (and probably some stern haters as well) will tune in. QAM saw dollar signs, and that's what radio is all about. Not pleasing listeners- making money. It's a business just like anything else.

OK I am not from my Miami........but I didn't think WQAM was all sports. Everyday on my lunch I go to their website to listen and the guy on there NEVER talks sports....Neil Rogers?....I think is his name. So what's the deal?

Who cares what station he's on. I get him on the New York krock station and his show is amazing. It's so funny, he speaks the truth and tells everything exactly as it is.

Howard Stern is the man. If I lived in South Florida I would be happy about this because I would be getting Stern on the radio again since those losers at Clear Channel kicked him off down there.

Haven't listened to Stern in a very long time. Too often I felt like the show spoke only to the lowest common denominator.

WQAM is the only sports station in Miami. 940 changed to Air America (Lib Net).

If they have Stern, that means there is no sports until Mandich at 2pm.

Miami could use a sports station now.

At least in Palm Beach we have 760, which is ESPN radio until 4p.m when we get local guys. (Evan Cohen - very good; Steve and Craig - awful).

This very well cant happen. Greg Reed, WQAM's General Manager is a well known moron, who will say things to the local newspapers that makes no sense.

Losing the Dolphins coverage for Howard Stern is stupid. I dont know when Stern begins and ends, but odds are you'd be screwing with Neil Rogers timeslot, which gets the best ratings in the South Florida market.

Fvck. Who is going to do the gamecalling, then? Howard David aint so hot, but Jim Mandich is a hell of a commentary guy.

WQAM sucks IMO. There on-line feed during games is the worst I have ever seen. They deserve to loose the contract. I just hope that the next guy is better.

Disgustipate said:
This very well cant happen. Greg Reed, WQAM's General Manager is a well known moron, who will say things to the local newspapers that makes no sense.

Losing the Dolphins coverage for Howard Stern is stupid. I dont know when Stern begins and ends, but odds are you'd be screwing with Neil Rogers timeslot, which gets the best ratings in the South Florida market.

Fvck. Who is going to do the gamecalling, then? Howard David aint so hot, but Jim Mandich is a hell of a commentary guy.
If they simulcast it down there during the same time as up here, then Howard's show runs from 6am until around 10am. EST

Back
Top Bottom