"Dolphins defensive tackle Kheeston Randall shouldn’t be ignored " | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Dolphins defensive tackle Kheeston Randall shouldn’t be ignored "

NYPhin24

Scout Team
Reaction score
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...kle-kheeston-randall-shouldnt-be-ignored.html

At first I thought Kheeston Randall was just a throw-in player.
The Miami Dolphins’ seventh-round pick was the 215th selection in the 2012 NFl draft. How good can he really be?

Then I watched the former Texas defensive tackle play against Texas A&M during a ESPNU rebroadcast of the 2011 Texas vs. Texas A&M game and he caught my eye on a number of plays. Randall was barely moved. He anchored well, and helped contain the Aggies ground game.

It was just one game, but that performance got me thinking Randall might be a keeper. The Dolphins generally keep seven to eight defensive linemen on the 53-man roster, so Randall has a good shot of making the roster if he performs in camp. This month’s release of Phillip Merling should help his case.

[video=youtube;Pobv4oEcbBI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pobv4oEcbBI&feature=player_embedded[/video]]

Randall, who was a nose tackle at Texas, is realistically battling Isaako Aaitui, who was on the practice squad last year, and Ryan Baker, a three-year veteran, for the spots behind Paul Soliai, Randy Starks, Jared Odrick, Tony McDaniel and fellow rookie Olivier Vernon. Jamaal Westerman might be included in this mix, but we’ll see how the Dolphins use him.

The undrafted rookies shouldn’t be ignored either, but Randall will have every opportunity to excel, earning a spot on the 53-man roster, because of the signing bonus he’ll receive.
Keep in mind that Starks and McDaniel are in the final year of their contract, which means its time the Dolphins begin developing some youngsters on the defensive line.

Randall caught General Manager Jeff Ireland’s eye at the Senior Bowl. The Dolphins like his versatility (he could play end in a 3-4, tackle in a 4-3, and might grow into a nose), his size (6-foot-4, 307 pounds) and length (long arms). But he wasn’t tremendously productive as a two-year starter at Texas.

“He runs really good,” Ireland said. “He’s got very long arms. We think he can play any position on the defensive line,” Ireland said. “He’s got versatility.”
Ireland likes to use seventh-round picks on defensive linemen hoping that in time they’ll blossom into solid players like Jason Ferguson did back in Parcells’ Jets days, and Jay Ratliff did back in their Dallas Cowboys days together.

Both of those players are seventh-round pick gems, and it is possible Randall could turn into one too.

He was actually projected to go to the Patsies in round one of the early mock draft. Ill tell you what, he is a great run stuffer with great motor. Miami needs more players like him on their roster.

He reminds me of Langford, great at stuffing the run, but doesn't excel in pass-rushing.

Sounds like a good guy to hold space in the middle. We also seem to keep Ryan Baker around so he might go to the Practice Squad depending on training cap and preseason etc.

P.S. On these clips I really did not see a lot of "negatives". He always seems to hold his ground and cannot be faulted if the play goes in another direction. Very few DL beat the man blocking them on every play. I did see a couple of plays were he got stood up trying to rush the QB with little push but that happens.

This was only a couple of games including one from last year but it is not like he was being pushed back and knock over very often.

Hopefully Philbin and his coaching staff can develop these late rounders into solid contributors. God knows the last coaching staff just crossed their collective fingers and hoped the players drafted would be good enough. I know hindsight is 20/20, but with each day my hatred for Sparano et al grows exponentially. I'll admit, I was blinded by that 11-5 season orchestrated by none other than Chad Pennington.

Anyway, Randall looked pretty stout in that video, sliding laterally along the line very well to close in on the tackle. Can shed blocks pretty damn well, too. He did look a little sluggish at times, but a lot of the those negative plays in the video were plays completely away from him. Great video, though. I love it when they circle the man before each play. Makes it much easier to assess.

He was actually projected to go to the Patsies in round one of the early mock draft. Ill tell you what, he is a great run stuffer with great motor. Miami needs more players like him on their roster.

I have never seen a draft where all the players drafted were able to contribute and not get cut.. But, from all stories I have heard, it looks like all the players we drafted in 2012 might become starters in the near future. We already know Tannehill will start this season or the next...

P.S. On these clips I really did not see a lot of "negatives". He always seems to hold his ground and cannot be faulted if the play goes in another direction. Very few DL beat the man blocking them on every play. I did see a couple of plays were he got stood up trying to rush the QB with little push but that happens.

This was only a couple of games including one from last year but it is not like he was being pushed back and knock over very often.

I agree. If getting penetration and forcing the running back to change direction is a negative, I'll take that all day. He will be a nice player next to soliai, Starks, and Oddrick. He could probably play 3-4 end as well when we flex.

He's never going to make the roster.

DE/DT we have Wake, Starks, Soliai, Odrick, Oliver, Mcdaniel.

He certainly watched the right game. Randall was a beast in that game. Texas A&M actually has some good, well coached linemen and Randall tossed a few around like rag dolls. He was a big reason TAMU was so one-dimensional and constantly in 3rd & Long situations.

I like Randall a lot. I didn't think he was a 7th round pick. I've seen guys that were essentially the same player go in the 3rd and even 2nd rounds.

Of all the highlights of him that I've seen he is always in the backfield. He gets fantastic penetration constantly. Would be a nice guy to give Solai a breather and have Starks standing next to him in my eyes.

I find it hard to believe that all our draft picks will make the roster. Face it some of these guys will be busts and if we are lucky one will become an all pro and two will become solid starters at best. Hopefully the All Pro is the qb we took with the 8th pick :)

We normally keep 9-10 Defensive Lineman. He could sneak up and take Ryan Baker's spot but he will at least make the practice squad.

if you do that you run the risk of losing him to another team... I believe the philosphy is, if you have a young talent that is equal to a vet talent you go with the younger talent every time.

Back
Top Bottom