Dolphins drafting Njoku gaining mock steam | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins drafting Njoku gaining mock steam

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
750x422

A possible question of the Dolphins draft is coming into focus from mid-February:
Do they fortify a weak front-defensive seven or go for a potentially great tight end in the University of Miami’s David Njoku?
Put me down for potential greatness – at any position. The Dolphins have some good players but finding great ones is the priority. The question will be how to line up free agency and other roster-building moves to make that an option.
But let’s be clear: This
he Dolphins have weapons at wide receiver, but they don't have a player like Njoku on the roster. He will be listed with the tight ends, but this is a 6-foot-4 guy who can run in the 4.5 range and set up and run past defenders. He also has the size to go up and get the ball over smaller players (that's most anyone in the secondary). QB Ryan Tannehill should be even better in his second year with coach Adam Gase, and Njoku would help.
We’ll see where this goes. It’s still early. But drafting 22[SUP]nd[/SUP], the Dolphins could have the option of Njoku and, say, Tennessee defensive end Derek Barnett. The mock drafts of ESPN’s Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have the Dolphins taking Njoku.
Wrote Kiper: “The Dolphins have weapons at wide receiver, but they don't have a player like Njoku on the roster. He will be listed with the tight ends, but this is a 6-foot-4 guy who can run in the 4.5 range and set up and run past defenders. He also has the size to go up and get the ball over smaller players (that's most anyone in the secondary). QB Ryan Tannehill should be even better in his second year with coach Adam Gase, and Njoku would help.”
Wrote McShay: “Njoku comes with loads of upside, thanks to rare athleticism for the position and big-play ability, including 16.2 yards per reception. There's not much of a gap between Njoku and Alabama's O.J. Howard for the No. 1 TE ranking. Both Jordan Cameron and Dion Sims are set to be free agents for the Dolphins, so the fit would make sense for Njoku to stay in Miami.”
You don’t think Adam Gase wants a toy like that on his offense? In his Denver offense, tight end Julius Thomas caught 108 passes and 24 touchdowns in 2013 and 2014.
The question becomes how executive vice president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum and general manager Chris Grier navigate the next two months for the possibility of getting Njoku. Because this is difficult.
First, they couldn’t offer Dion Sims good money to sign. They’d need that money to invest in the defense if they pass up on a first-round pick. That would run the risk of not getting a tight end at all, if Njoku is gone (and Alabama’s O.J. Howard, as well).
Anyone who saw Njoku play at Miami knows the athleticism and big-play capability. He needs to improve his pass-catching, of course. But that would come. The tough question for the Dolphins is how to set up the off-season so you have a chance to get Njoku without banking on him.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...aveHyde-blog+(Dave+Hyde+|+Sun+Sentinel+blogs)

Would have been a lot smarter not to have wasted so many draft picks on gadget players last year and addressed some more concerns on the defense so we could have a little more leeway in this years draft to select offensive talent early this year should the opportunity to arise.

At this point, drafting offense alomst seems like a luxury option due to the enormous amount of holes and depth issues our defense faces.

Would have been a lot smarter not to have wasted so many draft picks on gadget players last year and addressed some more concerns on the defense so we could have a little more leeway in this years draft to select offensive talent early this year should the opportunity to arise.

At this point, drafting offense alomst seems like a luxury option due to the enormous amount of holes and depth issues our defense faces.
And trading away draft choices that would have been valuable in cleaning up this mess. But the really sad thing is we still have the guy that botched this up in the first place working for the organization.

I would love to get Njoku in the first. All pro potential that would be hard to pass up if he's still there however I think he'll go earlier.
We have free agency and the rest of the draft to go defense although with Albert being cut we do need a starting quality guard somewhere in the mix.

My nightmare scenario is Njoku or Howard ending up with the Patriots after having to face Gronkowski all these years but the guy has been hurt a lot the last few years and I think the Pats will be in the market for his replacement. Don't see them re-signing Bennett.

Adam Gase knows how to utilize the tight end. Give him a talented one and this offense takes another step. I love the player and his physical qualities after the catch.

The big question, I guess, is whether the team can fill some holes on defense in free agency. At first glance, I don't really like what's out there at linebacker. I think Melvin Ingram will ultimately be too expense.

But, if the Dolphins go big on defense in free agency that could open up a move for a player like Njoku.

I absolutely love Njoku. I still remember the first time I saw him live. But if we go LB in the first round and nab Bucky Hodges in the second, along with re-signing Sims to solidify the TE position, my feelings won't be hurt. I think Hodges is a tad under-rated if the lack of hype around him is reflective of what league scouts think about him. I also don't think there is any chance Njoku or Hodges fall to the Pats, so if they want either, they would have to trade up to get them.

God do you ever stop complaining? I understand 20 years of mediocrity breeds pessimism, but you sir bring it to a whole new threshold! I'm trying not to attack you but your constant whining is a major irritant. I just like to remind you you're preaching to the choir most of the time, instead of wasting your efforts on a forum bring your objections up with the front office. Till then peace my friend, I hope you find happiness. Namaste!

My concern or question, I haven't found it easily available, is how is his blocking? I openly admit I don't follow college football much at all and I don't live in the area so the U is a distance mystery for me. I am interested if he is the complete package or at least has the potential to be a decent blocker. The tight end that can do it all gives the offense so much more potential. Just knowing or should I say the defense not knowing it's a pass play just because he's on the field would work wonders.

And trading away draft choices that would have been valuable in cleaning up this mess. But the really sad thing is we still have the guy that botched this up in the first place working for the organization.

Who said it was botched up? You and a few other complainers? Really, I find it amusing how many forum participants believe they know all the answers and are smarter than the professional front office people. I give in to the caveat that the past regime was pretty bad, but for crying out loud give these guys a chance. There is no guarantee if that trade was never made that they would've made the perfect pics with the available slots. I just wish people would take some logic before venting (and I'm talking about venting for almost over a year now). I get it, the draft is more fun when we have more pics, but God can we just let it rest? What's done is done, you guys keep rehashing it over in over like a broken record. You nag better than my wife and that's saying something.

My concern or question, I haven't found it easily available, is how is his blocking? I openly admit I don't follow college football much at all and I don't live in the area so the U is a distance mystery for me. I am interested if he is the complete package or at least has the potential to be a decent blocker. The tight end that can do it all gives the offense so much more potential. Just knowing or should I say the defense not knowing it's a pass play just because he's on the field would work wonders.

He isn't an inline TE. The Canes normally had Njoku flexed out, and another TE stayed in to block. That said he is physical by nature, and has the functional strength that I think he will be a much better blocker in the NFL than say Cameron was for us. I don't think he will ever block the way Dion Sims does. That should be our in-line guy. And I remember Sims blocking being questioned when he was drafted, so it's not always easy to tell on that. But I do think Njoku can be better than a liability blocking.

Whoops. I just posted a review of Njoku in the underclassmen tight end thread above, before seeing this thread.

Also, Sons of Shula can hardly be accused of overdone pessimism. He may be frustrated with some moves in this new regime but earlier I thought he was overly positive in some areas. I don't always agree with him. In fact, I probably have a greater dispersion with him than anyone on this site in terms of either agreeing completely with him or not agreeing at all. He obviously does a lot of homework and is a passionate fan/analyst, worth a read.

Whoops. I just posted a review of Njoku in the underclassmen tight end thread above, before seeing this thread.

Also, Sons of Shula can hardly be accused of overdone pessimism. He may be frustrated with some moves in this new regime but earlier I thought he was overly positive in some areas. I don't always agree with him. In fact, I probably have a greater dispersion with him than anyone on this site in terms of either agreeing completely with him or not agreeing at all. He obviously does a lot of homework and is a passionate fan/analyst, worth a read.

Ditto. We're either butting heads or shaking hands. Either scenario, my respect is high for your extensive knowledge regardless of common ground found.

From what I've seen so far there is so much TE talent this year, we will be able to draft a stud TE in round 2+. It makes the most sense to build up the front 7 in round 1, then see which TE's fall in our lap later in the draft. There are like 10 good TEs and experts disagree on how to rank them.

Love Hodges at #54!

RW

Depending upon which defensive players rise or fall in Indianapolis, Njoku is a real option for Miami. It's not my preferred route, but I see scenarios, assuming he's even available at 22, where he's just that much better than anyone else on the board.

Back
Top Bottom