Dolphins drafting Njoku gaining mock steam | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins drafting Njoku gaining mock steam

Njoku was a national high jump champ in HS and runs 4.5 . I could see him just blowing away the competition in the combines and quickly moving up the draft boards.
It would be a stoke of luck if he's still there when we draft and if he is you take him IMO

Love Njoku and Howard, but I think I would rather trade the first round pick for a second, third and fifth and draft, a defensive player, Leggett and Sprinkle. I think the combo of Leggett and Sprinkle, teamed with a re-signed Sims would be plenty of quality talent at tight end.

I want neither at 22. Nothing against the players ... ish. They don't move the needle. Little difference between is and was.

I think it's way too early for these articles and threads putting hats on specific draft slots. This very minute, it looks like we're down a DT, 2 guards, a TE (maybe 2), a DE (maybe 2), 2 LBs. We also need to improve slot corner and DB depth in general and our center is stuck together with PlayDoh.

In addition, we've yet to see the impact in draft stock of injuries to some top draft hopefuls and the Combine/workouts are still in the future.

Intimating that somehow the FO has narrowed its choice down, let alone that it has decided on Njoku, is crazy.

If the rumours about Thomas and BA are true this will loose steam quickly. lol.

I think it's way too early for these articles and threads putting hats on specific draft slots. This very minute, it looks like we're down a DT, 2 guards, a TE (maybe 2), a DE (maybe 2), 2 LBs. We also need to improve slot corner and DB depth in general and our center is stuck together with PlayDoh.

In addition, we've yet to see the impact in draft stock of injuries to some top draft hopefuls and the Combine/workouts are still in the future.

Intimating that somehow the FO has narrowed its choice down, let alone that it has decided on Njoku, is crazy.

That is true. Plus, I hope the front office doesn't overestimate what the team has on the defensive line.

I don't view that as a strength despite the fact that the team has a generational talent at DT in N. Suh. Wake is still very good, Branch is a situational/try hard guy who struggles against the run and Phillips is an enigma. Can he develop, or will he always be Flash Jordan?

The problem with the run defense is everywhere not just at linebacker. That makes looking for a tight end early highly unlikely IMO, unless the team can fill a lot of holes in free agency and I don't think the talent is there at least at linebacker.

[tweet]827255272078848001[/tweet]
[tweet]827257136698646528[/tweet]
[tweet]827326939719364608[/tweet]

All of those CFB Film Room stats summarize Njoku and the 2016 Canes very well. The offense changed considerably from 2015. I thought Richt would use more power sets, specifically I formation. Instead when Richt -- as play caller -- sensed vulnerability he kept abusing short swing passes to the flats. Often on several plays in a row. That began in the game at Appalachian State and was featured in numerous games the remainder of the season, including the bowl against West Virginia. I think it sourced from some issues in game two hosting Florida Atlantic. Kaaya forced two bad interceptions early in the game and the offensive line was having trouble in general. Richt seemingly wanted to take pressure off the line by utilizing Miami's best athletes in space, even if it meant getting them the ball behind the line of scrimmage.

Njoku often seemed bored by those short routes. He's an athlete and wants to show off downfield. I think the boredom partially accounts for the drop rate on short passes, and that Njoku's game in general tailed off for a while in midseason 2016. From the stands I predicted several plays in which we targeted Njoku downfield. The guy seated to my right was amazed and was slapping hands when it connected, while telling others I had called the play. Actually all I saw was Njoku looking much more energized approaching the line of scrimmage than typical. He knew it was his turn to run his preferred route. Plus the defense would start to rotate forward after such a steady diet of underneath junk, so the Canes took advantage.

Regarding the tackle breaking, there's no question that Njoku has more leg twitch and juke ability than O.J. Howard. But that shouldn't diminish Howard as an athlete. Not many broken tackle opportunities when you are in the clear and striding away.

Back
Top Bottom