Dolphins expect changes, with some prominent players at risk | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins expect changes, with some prominent players at risk

Jerrysanders

Active Roster
Reaction score
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article185457918.html

Jarvis Landry. From my understanding, I believe no decision has been made on his future, with the team valuing his skills but also aware that a possession receiver who’s averaging 7.7 yards per catch probably can be procured on the second day of the draft for a fraction of the $16 million Landry would cost next season with a franchise tag. That’s why the team never made a contract offer to him beyond 2017.
Landry is expected to seek something in the range of five years and more than $65 million. How the season ends – both for Miami and Landry – will determine a decision that at this point could go either way, according to a source.

• Mike Pouncey. Has a $7.9 million base salary for 2018 and a $9 million 2018 hit if he’s on the team, but just a $2 million hit if he’s not.
At this point, he appears very likely to return barring hip problems or a major regression over the final seven games. The Dolphins believe he has been much better than Pro Football Focus’ poor run-blocking grades for him and do not want to lose the player they believe is their best lineman.

Andre Branch. Hasn’t fully played up to the level that earned him a three-year, $24 million contract. He has no sacks in five weeks (three for the season) and just 15 tackles all season, though in his defense, he hasn’t missed a ton of tackle opportunities.
But here’s the problem: Though his $10 million 2018 cap hit is too steep, the hit is $11.9 million if he’s cut.
It would be surprising if Miami moves on, but altering the contract becomes a consideration if Branch doesn’t play well the rest of the way.
FYI: Branch, Jones, Kenny Stills and Kiko Alonso are the four highly-paid Dolphins players with a higher cap hit if they’re not on the team than if they are. So there would be no financial incentive to move on from them.
Alonso has struggled the past two weeks. His cap hit is $9.6 million if he’s on the team in 2018, but $13.2 million if he’s not.

As long as Tdumb is running the operations, I see little meaningful changes to the team. He'll keep the status quo and blame the trainwreck on Grier.

Seems to confirm alot of what has been speculated on here already. They like Pouncey, they are unsure on Landry, James might be tough to swallow at that amount, Kiko and Branch ate underachieving but can’t move on because of those contracts just handed out.

Bet we convert that Suh money also as possibly speculated.

Seems to confirm alot of what has been speculated on here already. They like Pouncey, they are unsure on Landry, James might be tough to swallow at that amount, Kiko and Branch ate underachieving but can’t move on because of those contracts just handed out.

Bet we convert that Suh money also as possibly speculated.

What are your thoughts on Tannehill and Gase not assuring he will be on the team next year ?

What are your thoughts on Tannehill and Gase not assuring he will be on the team next year ?

Im just not buying it, assuming he is healthy and all. I mean why would you go from saying he was about to have a blow up year to lets move on. The only caveat I would make is if we somehow got a top 5 pick (doubt it) and a QB was there he might consider pulling the trigger.

Gase’s suport of Ryan has never seemed to waiver, even a little honestly.

Pouncey, James, and Thomas should be axed. That's $23 million on top of the $10 million savings from Maxwell. We can afford to keep Landry.

I think branch is tbe one they are regretting the most right now

I think it’s the worst contract on the team now that b max is no longer on it

I’d bet money that Landry gets 5 and 65 on the market

Would you feel comfortable with two new QB's on this team if it moves on from Ryan? I think that's too much to buy off in one off season.

Drafting a QB and signing a Free agent is not impossible though unlikely, but you never know how an organization feels about someone coming of a major injury.

I’d bet money that Landry gets 5 and 65 on the market

Landrys situation is such a quandary. 5 for $65, I don't think we do. Sub 8ypc is abysmal, and he's better than that with better play calls, but I honestly don't think he stays.

And the only thing if Miami tries to use that 7.7 ypc as contract justification is gonna do is piss off Landry.

Cause that’s a qb driven # this year. Period

His average depth per target has been horrible since his rookie year, even by slot wr and te standards its extremely low. I do think he will get big bucks in FA tho.

Yeah but there’s hardly any rac cause the placement has been awful for it.

Plus we had 2 years of short passing game by design under lazors o.

Which I think has to be thrown out frankly

Back
Top Bottom