Dolphins expect changes, with some prominent players at risk | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins expect changes, with some prominent players at risk

Landry's going to point out that in 2016, he averaged something like 12 yards per reception and his quarterbacks had a passer rating of over 100 when throwing to him. He's then going to point out what changed between 2016 and 2017 and cite that as a reason why he deserves to be paid more than his performance in 2017 would indicate.

And he's going to be right.

So the "7.7 yards per reception" thing is kind of a joke, in my opinion.

Landry's going to point out that in 2016, he averaged something like 12 yards per reception and his quarterbacks had a passer rating of over 100 when throwing to him. He's then going to point out what changed between 2016 and 2017 and cite that as a reason why he deserves to be paid more than his performance in 2017 would indicate.

It is, but at the same time his lack of touchdowns over his career is very real

It is, but at the same time his lack of touchdowns over his career is very real

Interestingly enough, I feel that his performance this year helps his case in that regard. He's shown the ability to be more of a red zone threat in 2017... he should have 7 touchdowns if not for Jay Cutler's back foot.

Bingo

lmao

Good morning, hoops.

Yeah, it's true. I have actually been charting offensive efficiency of all of our skill players the last two seasons as I try to figure out where the dead weight is, and it's just depressing what has happened to Landry this season.

I don’t do charts but I do do tape

And that’s exactly what the tape says

I have no doubts he will find that 5 and 65 on the market

I don’t do charts but I do do tape

And that’s exactly what the tape says

I have no doubts he will find that 5 and 65 on the market

I don't think it should be with the Dolphins, however.

This team is so far away from contending that it needs to eliminate salaries such as those, and go ahead and let the relative lack of remaining talent get it higher positions in the draft over the next two to three years.

Having a slot receiver who makes that sort of money is part of the icing on a cake that's already baked and tastes good. It isn't part of what you're putting in the mixing bowl.

I dont rhink this team is as far away as some of you do it starts with a competent qb.

Have that and things can flip quick. But I also think Miami financially can afford Landry and stills and dvp for the next 2 years. They are going to pick up dvps option that’s a wrap.

In 2 years then maybe you look to trade one of stills or Landry.

I just know if you lose Landry you are gonna lose a lot of what moves the chains for you consistently and adding a rookie tight end out of the gate as the offset I don’t think moves the needle enough as a rookie.

So it’s gonna have to come from somewhere and that somewhere is likely gonna be on dvps shoulders

This teams needs one at least true alpha skill player that dictates to coverage and is a flat mismatch. Dvps the only current in house option that could be it.

A rookie every down rb might give you more immediate return than that rookie tight end.

If you are for blowing up the team, you have to build around something.

Sometimes its more than just production on the field. Landry is the heart and soul of the offense, the go-to guy when the team needs that first down. I'd nail down a contract for him, but after the Ajayi trade and some of the things that have been said, I have my doubts he's here next year.

As to Pouncey, I'm not sure players improve dramatically from that type of surgery. Any takers on that question? Is it something that players can get better after a certain amount of time, or a kiss of death? To me, he still looks quick but seems to lack strength in the running game. He seems to get pushed back quite a bit. I know Gase values his leadership and I think he's assignment sound, but at $9 million I'd look elsewhere.

Branch has to stay with that cap hit.

Miami IMO needs to have a foundation draft, rebuilding the offensive line and adding a difference maker on the defensive line. They need the type of player who can step up and make plays when Suh is doubled.

I just know if you lose Landry you are gonna lose a lot of what moves the chains for you consistently and adding a rookie tight end out of the gate as the offset I don’t think moves the needle enough as a rookie.

Here's the problem: We are getting absolute GARBAGE production out of the TE position right now. We simply can't go into 2018 with Julius Thomas and Anthony Fasano as our primary tight ends. So where is the production going to come from? A 3rd round TE in what is considered a not-so-great TE draft class? And if we sign Landry, we certainly won't be going after a top free agent TE.

I mean, there's still Duarte on the practice squad, but if he can't even crack the 53 man roster right now, that's probably just a waste of time.

Well we are gonna need to gain about 2.5 to 3 yards per play be it in tbe run game or pass game to field a solid o

I can bet on the qb doing his part but finding that extra yard per carry in the current rb room doesn’t look to be in the cards

I dont rhink this team is as far away as some of you do it starts with a competent qb.

Have that and things can flip quick. But I also think Miami financially can afford Landry and stills and dvp for the next 2 years. They are going to pick up dvps option that’s a wrap.

In 2 years then maybe you look to trade one of stills or Landry.

So it’s gonna have to come from somewhere and that somewhere is likely gonna be on dvps shoulders

This teams needs one at least true alpha skill player that dictates to coverage and is a flat mismatch. Dvps the only current in house option that could be it.

A rookie every down rb might give you more immediate return than that rookie tight end.

I agree. Fixing the offensive line is the key. Tannehill coming back is huge, but Miami won't win many if the offensive line isn't upgraded. Even with the lack of speed on defense, I think this team could contend if the offensive line is at least average.

What's your thoughts on the defensive line? My feeling is that Miami needs another difference maker there. Maybe the Carolina game is too fresh in my mind, but seeing Suh constantly doubled and no one else stepping up is very frustrating. And that happens way too often.

Lots of ways to go early in the draft. Some great running backs could drop to the Dolphins spot (Guice) and I think that would be hard to pass up. To your point, a player like that probably moves the needle significantly.

Well we are gonna need to gain about 2.5 to 3 yards per play be it in tbe run game or pass game to field a solid o

I can bet on the qb doing his part but finding that extra yard per carry in the current rb room doesn’t look to be in the cards

Well, last year we were 8th in yards per play at 5.8. This year, 31st at 4.5.

I think you can easily make the case that we would have a functional offense again in 2018 if we:

1) Get our quarterback healthy
2) Retain Landry
3) Find some production to equal what we got from Dion Sims at the TE position
4) Get a decent RB to split carries with Drake
5) Replace Bushrod

Point #1 should happen naturally. Point #2 should not be too difficult considering the franchise tag option. Point #3 is going to require work. Point #4 should not be a big deal, as there are plenty of serviceable running backs to be found in the draft or FA. Point #5, well, you'd think this would not be too hard but we're the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom