Dolphins expected to add a kicker and punter | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins expected to add a kicker and punter

I really hope that if we do add a kicker, that it would be the one from Florida State. He was a beast at kicking long field goals and also at getting touch backs.

Punter? What the hell for?

Now kicker is a great move...Carpenter needs to get cut...We can't have him ruining any games this season...

Am I being Naive to think that 20 extra punts during the preseason is enough to warrant signing a punter to give Fields a reprieve? How many times you think he punts in practice.... let him sit a few days during then. every roster spot should be used trying to upgrade talent.... backup punter just doesnt do it for me.

Carpenter.... walking papers pal.. you and your 2.7 million dollar cap figure can go away as soon as we find a kicker remotely decent.

This..I don't think you can wait until the 7th round for either of these guys.

if you want Hopkins or Sturgis youv got to consider them in rounds 5 or 6.. which im absolutely fine with.

If we can find a replacement to save the money, do it. It's not like they could be worse........

I can understand kicker but perhaps they are just looking at punter in case ours gets hurt.

I have a nice solution. Louisiana-Lafayette has a really great kicker named Brett Baer, who also is a great punter. We could sign him and have him do both the kicking and punting in preseason, and then have Fields take over the punting full-time once the regular season gets near, so we don't wear him out. Here is some info on Baer - Watch the video of him kicking it from his own 35 through the uprights....65+10 yard end zone....75+ yards.[video=youtube;OSCs9go7GzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSCs9go7GzE[/video]

http://www.ragincajuns.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3273

#40 Brett Baer
Position: Place Kicker
Height: 5-11
Weight: 182
Class: Senior
Hometown: Brandon, Ms.
High School: Brandon

Record Book: Enters season having made 11 straight field goal attempts, three short of Mike Shafer’s school record set in 1974. . . his 18 field goals were the second-highest single season total in school history, one short of the record of 19 by John Roveto in 1977. . . his 46 extra points were also second best, four short of the record of 50 by Drew Edmiston in 2008. . . his team-leading 100 points in 2011 were the most by a kicker and third-best overall, trailing the record 114 by Tyrell Fenroy (2008) and Brian Mitchell (1988). . . it bested the old record of 81 points by Roveto in 1977. . . owns a career field goal percentage of .926 (25-27) and would rank among all-time NCAA leaders but is short of the required minimum of 45 attempts (record is , 43-49, .878 by Bobby Raymond, Florida, 1983-84). . . is seven-for-nine in onside kick attempts, recovering four himself.

2011 (Junior): Semi-finalist for the Lou Groza Award, which is presented to the nation’s top kicker, after going 18-for-20 in field goal attempts and 46-for-50 on PAT efforts. . . also earned second team All-Sun Belt honors as both a kicker and punter and second team All-Louisiana by the LSWA. . . tabbed the team’s special teams MVP. . . named the LSWA Special Teams Player of the Week after wins over Nicholls State and Florida Atlantic. . . led the nation in field goal accuracy (10 or more attempts) at.900. . . punted 79 times for 3,185 yards and a 40.3 yard average, owning 12 kicks of 50 yards or better. . . had 27 punts downed inside the 20, 12 inside the 10 and nine inside the five with just five touchbacks. . . was four-for-four on onside kick attempts with UL recovering efforts vs. Troy, La.-Monroe, Arizona and San Diego State. . . connected on a career-long 50-yard field goal as time expired to give UL a 32-30 win over San Diego State in the New Orleans Bowl. . . named Sun Belt Conference Special Teams Player of the Week three times during the year. . . the first came after he broke a 34-34 tie against Florida Atlantic (10/1) by making a 37-yard field goal with no time left to give the Ragin’ Cajuns the win. . . received second honor on Oct. 3 after converting an onside kick late in the fourth quarter that led to the game-winning touchdown in a 36-35 win over La.-Monroe. . . closed regular season with his third award after making a 20-yard field goal and averaging 47.6 yards on five punts at Arizona (11/26). . . only missed field goals came in the third quarter vs. FAU, going wide left from 48 yards and hitting the left upright from 25 yards. . . earned third letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carpenter is gone, he was the tuna version of Joe Nedney (capspace wannabe kicker who replaces a solid guy)

We never should have gotten rid of Stoyanovich and we never should have gotten rid of Mare. STUPID moves that cost this franchise wins.

I'm all for drafting a good kicker, and replacing Carp. That'd be a sensible move by Ireland

Carpenter is gone, he was the tuna version of Joe Nedney (capspace wannabe kicker who replaces a solid guy)

We never should have gotten rid of Stoyanovich and we never should have gotten rid of Mare. STUPID moves that cost this franchise wins.

Uhm sorry, but Mare's departure was long overdue when he got dumped. He was a complete choke artist and I'll take Dan Carpenter any day of the week over that guy. At least when Carp blows a game winning field goal, it's a friggin' long one.

It's a very weak year for Canes players but the two kickers are actually worth bringing to camp, particularly the punter Botts. He could be a convenient rester for Fields, along with providing Botts some exposure for other teams.

The kicker Wieclaw is considerably more of a longshot. He had one poor stretch last season when his mechanics were off. Otherwise he's certainly above average at this stage. However, I couldn't project him to seriously challenge Carpenter, and obviously that's the target.

I still like Carpenter and wish we hadn't priced him into the vulnerable list. He's got skills that are underrated around here, like effortless distance and terrific initial height. Also reliable mechanics. He never lines up poorly, unlike virtually every other kicker in history. When Carpenter misses it's a leg problem, like Mike Mayock's persistent reference to arm talent.

Back
Top Bottom