Dolphins First Pick…Tyler Eifert! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins First Pick…Tyler Eifert!

Zee

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Change has definitely come to Miami. The focus of the off season has clearly laid out a vision that Philbin and Ireland have for the Dolphins. They have added several weapons to their offense and improved the defense. The offense has the potential to be real good, however I believe they are not satisfied with good. They want to be explosive. Phibin stated at the owners meeting that they ran a lot of two TE sets last year. We added Keller, but lost Fasano. If we add Tyler Eifert to this formation the Dolphin offense goes from good to explosive. Think about it; Wallace and Hartline/Bess/Gibson as the WRs with Kellerand Eifert as the TEs. Eifert can easily split out as a WR to create mismatch problems for any opposing defense. A three WR set against against a base defense.

When I watch tape of Eifert I see a TE in the mold of Dallas Clark and Jay Novacek; as far as what they could do for their teams. Eifert can run like a WR and he knows how to use his body to shield the opposing defender. He constantly goes up to catch the ball at its highest point instead ofwaiting for it (watch the Stanford TE he seems to wait for the ball a lot). Adding Eifert is an exponential increase to the offense as much as adding Wallace. If the defense keeps a safety over to help out on Wallace it frees up the other WRs. If they roll any coverage towards Eifert it frees up Keller or vice versa. Plus all the attention our TEs and WRs will command makes Lamar Miller’s job easier. It’s a perfect symphony of mismatch chaos for the opposing defense. The days of Miami having a single or at best a two option offense are over. It’s clear to me that Philbin is building a multi-dimensional attacking offense.

As far as Eifert’s draft status I don’t let value of were a player was drafted drive me as much as how that player fits into this team (to my knowledge nobody ever got extra points in a game for getting good value in the draft). Once they are on your team it’s what they can do on the field that matters. I factor more into will this player still be available the next time the Dolphins are picking and what is his value to the team that picked him. Eifert will not make it to us in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]round. He is by far the best TE in the draft. Keller is on one a year deal and even if he has a decent year he will be looking to get paid so I doubt we keep him next year. Eifert provides insurance to allow Keller to walk next year.

I know a lot of you would want an OL, CB or DE at 12, but I just don’t see how they would or could impact the Dolphins as much as Eifert. OL and CBs can be found in the later rounds of this draft. If we sign Winston then OL becomes even less pressing. All we really need then are Guards that can pull close to as good as Pouncey, however, I have to admit that would be awesome (but I think they can find one in the later rounds). I also believe that they are going to give Vernon a shot opposite of Wake and I think he will deliver a solid year. DEs tend to do better in their 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] year (Jason Taylor). We have 10 other picks to grab all the OLs, CBs, and DEs they want.

If they do grab Eifert the receiving corps becomes an absolute strength for years to come; which means they can focus on other areas of the team for the rest of this draft, as well as next years free agency and draft. Change has definitely come to Miami. They are building areas of strength, not just trying to plug holes and hope for the best.

why not Keenan Allen in 1 and Ertz in 2...

Because we lack quality T and CB's? Tough to justify taking a WR and TE with your first two picks. Tough to take Eifert at 12 too. TE's just dont go that high in the draft unless they're a physical freak, which Eifert isnt. Throw in the fact Eifert isnt the 12th best player in this draft and it seems silly to draft Eifert 12th.

If I thought Eifert was a Pro Bowl caliber TE then I'd be ok taking him and leaving a gaping hole at T, actually 2 gaping holes when you factor in Martin was terrible last year but I just dont see Eifert as that great of a prospect. I think he'll be a real good red-zone target but I don't see him as a matchup nightmare in the NFL.

Eifert is not worth the #12 pick in the draft. Dolphins need value with these picks.

If the Dolphins truly want Eifert, they need to trade back in the first round to get him and collect another pick in the process.

That's value.

zee, you have basically said what i have felt day one.

what people judge when they look at a player alot is their stats or there assumed value.

what they dont look at is the versatility in eifert and what it means to a guy like philbin when gameplanning week to week.

fact is, eifert would dissapear in games because he is the perfect candidate to disguise in blocking scheme only to score the big td in the second half.

there is so much you can do with him and the big body gives you upside in all facets of his game.

i like the kid alot asa person too. He is humble and willing to work at being the best. I would have no problem drafting him at 12. That said, lane johnson and cooper are good players as well and we need some athletic OL. its tricky.

But yeah, eifert would make the red zone a happy place. i know philbin knows about eifert. doesnt say much about him. they claim to like kelcie, a very good blocking TE. Not many of these TE's are IMO.

bottom line eifert is a pro fotball player with no sign of bust in him at all.

Because we lack quality T and CB's? Tough to justify taking a WR and TE with your first two picks. Tough to take Eifert at 12 too. TE's just dont go that high in the draft unless they're a physical freak, which Eifert isnt. Throw in the fact Eifert isnt the 12th best player in this draft and it seems silly to draft Eifert 12th.

ive seen guys who were rated high, now not so much. guys dropping down like banks, allen, werner, moore, ect.

tyler eifert still sticks in the first round doesnt budge. I just wonder what the hel would go through belechicks mind if we get eifert. who the f do you cover?

It doesn't matter if Eifert is the 12 best player in the draft. What matters is what he can do for your team. Let me ask you question. IF we won the superbowl are you going to happy we won the superbowl are or you going to go through all of our draft picks and say we didn't get good value so the superbowl doesn't count. You have to get off the value and start looking at getting players that will work for your system.

No one is going to draft Eifert at #12. So it's pointless for you to do that. It's plain dumb.

If Eifert is your guy an you know you can get him later, you trade back. Someone is always willing to come up. You don't draft a guy at a bad spot just because. You have to get value with your picks.

Patriots have been doing this for years. It's not rocket surgery.

Eifert. we have no redzone target and safety valve for R.T. Safe pick,go o-line and cbs and d.e.s rest of draft. Ok maybe 1 more speed wr.

JCane you or anyone else does not know the dolphins draft board, so cut the bs attitude like you know how the entire draft is going to play out. Athletically Eifert is better than Gronkowski, I've already posted their side by side combine numbers. He is no Vernon Davis but who is. He is on par with Jimmy Graham with more experience coming out of college.

Regardless of the player, I can guarantee you that every team would draft a player at #12 if they felt confident that this player would contribute 6+ TDs as a rookie. I'll bet you $20 Eifert scores at least that this year.

There are a few players I'd be very happy with at #12 and Eifert is one of them. Philibin loves using the tight end position to cause mismatches and was unable to do that last year with Miami. Add that to the fact that Keller is signed for one year (with no proven depth behind him) and you know the Dolphins are going to take a tight end somewhere in this draft. I doubt they do it in R1, but I'd love to have Eifert.

More likely, I think the team looks 2B or 3A to grab someone like Kelsey.

No one is going to draft Eifert at #12. So it's pointless for you to do that. It's plain dumb.

If Eifert is your guy an you know you can get him later, you trade back. Someone is always willing to come up. You don't draft a guy at a bad spot just because. You have to get value with your picks.

Patriots have been doing this for years. It's not rocket surgery.

It's definitely not as easy as just deciding to trade back. You have to find a team that wants to trade up and is willing to give you something comparable back.

Maybe I see things differently but I think Ireland is terrible. He's getting all this praise 4 making more holes. No doubt we add a good receiver, but our OL as it stands is weak, CB is weak, RB is a ? We cut vet Lb for other unproven LB. prove me wrong Ireland.

JCane you or anyone else does not know the dolphins draft board, so cut the bs attitude like you know how the entire draft is going to play out. Athletically Eifert is better than Gronkowski, I've already posted their side by side combine numbers. He is no Vernon Davis but who is. He is on par with Jimmy Graham with more experience coming out of college.

Regardless of the player, I can guarantee you that every team would draft a player at #12 if they felt confident that this player would contribute 6+ TDs as a rookie. I'll bet you $20 Eifert scores at least that this year.

Dude, no one said anything about knowing how the draft will play out so stop speaking in hyperbole, please.

Even the most basic fan of the NFL draft knows that reaching for a kid with your first pick is never a good idea. We go thru this stuff every single year. Couple of years ago, Mark Ingram was the best running back some of you had ever seen coming out of college. A lot of you wanted to take him at #15. I said there is no way in hell you take a running back that high in today's NFL. And watch how Cleveland regrets taking Trent Richardson at #3 lol.

Tyler Eifert is a very nice player. There's nothing about him that jumps off the page. As much as I like Eifert, he's not worth that pick. This is your first pick. You have to get a great player and as much value as you possibly can. With rookie caps in place these days, it much easier to find a trade partner willing to come up and get the player that they want. Josh McDaniels isn't making picks for us, thankfully.

If you want Eifert, fine. I'm ok with that pick. But we have a lot of other holes that can been filled and if Eifert is your guy, you can use that #12 pick to get Eifert and pick up picks later to fill other holes as well.

Now, show me where the bull**** is.

Back
Top Bottom