"Dolphins have a pre-draft trade agreement with Cowboys?" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Dolphins have a pre-draft trade agreement with Cowboys?"

NYPhin24

Scout Team
Reaction score
http://www.phins-spotlight.com/2011/04/dolphins-have-pre-draft-trade-agreement.html

"According to a March 27 blog entry by DraftInsider.net, the Dallas Cowboys have a plan in place with an unknown team holding a "mid-first round pick" to trade down from the No. 9 spot if either one of the top two quarterbacks—Missouri's Blaine Gabbert and Auburn's Cam Newton—is available when Dallas is on the clock."

"While there is no confirmation that the Dolphins are that team, they seem as likely as any team to be when looking at the facts. Consider:
  • The Dolphins fit the description of holding a mid-first round pick, sitting at No. 15. The pick would be an excellent spot for the Cowboys to grab a right tackle prospect like Tyron Smith (USC), Anthony Castonzo (Boston College) or Nate Solder (Colorado).
  • The Dolphins' organization from top to bottom is littered with former Cowboys personnel, including general manager and decision-maker Jeff Ireland and head coach Tony Sparano.
  • The Dolphins have made past deals with the Cowboys as a result of their connections, including Miami's acquisitions of linebacker Akin Ayodele, tight end Anthony Fasano, and nose tackle Jason Ferguson.
  • The Dolphins are known to be looking for a quarterback in this draft, and have already had private workouts with both Gabbert and Newton. "
"Even without any hard evidence, I'd say there is a pretty fair chance that the Dolphins are indeed the team holding an arrangement with the Cowboys. While the team doesn't have a second-round pick, it's possible they could be offering the Cowboys the No. 15 overall pick, a their third-round pick (79th overall), and more to move up six spots."

Seems pretty costly for just six spots ahead of our current spot. If it will get us a good QB then i'm all for it, but damn we really need to quit giving picks away for nonsense.

i would trade away the house to move up for gabbert. for newton, i mean i wouldn't be pissed but i think i'd just rather take ryan mallett for 1 pick rather then 2-3 picks and or players for newton.

yeah, i'm not for giving away our third for Newton. Gabbert wont be there. I dont want to use our 15 on Newton. Hope this doesnt happen.

So does that mean we get to ask Newton if his mom was a hoe?

Then again Newton's dad was the pimp.

I think it's a none starter..........

I wouldn't rule it out. I really don't know what Sparano and Ireland will do. And I don't want to be against them even though I wish we had a different head coach. Oh well, if they do this, it will pretty much seal their fate on either Gabbert or Newton. It's very costly and will limit the rest of the draft. We'll see what happens.

If it were me, I'd try to trade the other direction for sure. If I couldn't, I would take Ingram at 15 and then try to get a QB in the late round of the draft. Ingram can get the running game going again and that will make Henne look better for another season. But I'm not the decision maker.

Doesn't make sense if the Sparano/Ireland are in "win now or else" mode. Makes more sense for them to want to add Palmer or McNabb to compete with Henne. But if they feel like they will be here long term then that's a different story.

yeah, i'm not for giving away our third for Newton. Gabbert wont be there. I dont want to use our 15 on Newton. Hope this doesnt happen.

I agree, I want nothing to do with Newton who is the definition of a "boom or bust" player

Especially if it means giving up our 3rd round pick as well, this team has too many holes at important positions to have 1 pick in the first 3 rounds which is where immediate impact or contributing players are USUALLY found

they worked out newton so maybe they like him. perhaps this gives them the chip if this season goes down the drain? "hey we may have gone 6-10, but we have cam newton waiting in the wings"
I doubt either of them will be there though.

Well it is the time of year the Cowboys fleece our FO and dump their trash on our lawn.

Back
Top Bottom