"Dolphins have a pre-draft trade agreement with Cowboys?" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Dolphins have a pre-draft trade agreement with Cowboys?"

IMHO I think Mallett and Ponder have as much chance of achieving NFL success than Gabbert and Newton. There are no sure fire franchise QB's in this draft (No Mannings or Elways) so why would any team make a huge sacrifice to move up in the draft to draft Gabbert or Newton?

I don't buy it. Plus I think both QBs are gone by Cowboys pick anyways.

That joke has grown stale. Need to start coming up with some new material.

Actually my favorite was his heisman speech!

"I'd like to thank my parents who do alot behind the scenes that goes un-noticed"

LOL! Choice words.

There isn't enough time to negotiate these things while the clock is ticking so every teams has a bunch of these deals lined up well before the draft starts. There's only circumstantial evidence to support it but I'd wager the trade down with the Chargers was negotiated beforehand. I know we nearly traded down with the Eagles.

But the fact of the matter is, it shows a lack of seriousness of what it would take to get either guy. If you believe one of those guys is a franchise player, GO AND GET HIM! Do not try to hedge your bets by hoping one of them falls to #9.

I get the thinking: the Redskins need a quarterback. You have to be prepared to outmaneuver them. Well, the Redskins aren't going to rest on their laurels, either. Why wouldn't they trade up with someone else? Shanahan traded up to get Cutler in '06. Pretty good decision, I think. And it showed nerve.

If it takes an extra third round pick, or a second round pick, or... whatever it takes. If you get the right guy, it's worth it. As Ron Wolf would say... there is no such thing as overpaying for a franchise quarterback.

I'm all for it if it means moving up for Mallett and leaping past the Vikings. My only glimmer of hope is thinking that with Marino as a QB consultant it might help tip the scale in favor of a pocket passer with a laser arm.....versus some scrambling Sparano type.

Seems pretty costly for just six spots ahead of our current spot. If it will get us a good QB then i'm all for it, but damn we really need to quit giving picks away for nonsense.

By nonsense, hopefully you don't mean the two 2nd rounders we gave for one of the best receivers in the league?

I like the idea of moving up to get a qb, just would rather do it next year to get Luck.

ehhh...i posted this in the draft rumors thread weeks ago...

The Cowboys as a trading partner makes tons of sense, and could be extrapolated by what we know.

If there is a guy at #9 that they feel is the Franchise QB, go for it. I think the likelier scenario is that we trade down or take a 2nd tier guy at #15.

The Cowboys as a trading partner makes tons of sense, and could be extrapolated by what we know.

If there is a guy at #9 that they feel is the Franchise QB, go for it. I think the likelier scenario is that we trade down or take a 2nd tier guy at #15.

i posted a while ago this very thing...the cowboys supposedly are looking to trade back to take an ot and the 2 names they were big on were tyron smith and gabe carimi...the boys have to be careful though cause smith i would think would be a major target for the lions at #13 if prince amukamara was gone and this was all before smith delivered a very good workout at his pro day...

what i posted weeks ago said a mid round team to trade up the dolphins stuff being attached makes sense but is speculation...and i doubt gabbert or newton get to #9

The team could very well be Jacksonville also

Gene Smith is well known for not liking to trade up and has already been quoted this offseason saying he probably won't. The Jags need help in the secondary and at defensive end. They could decide to trade up for a Prince Amukamara but I just sort of doubt it. Smith likes small school guys in the Cortez Allen or Buster Skrine mold.

Gene Smith is well known for not liking to trade up and has already been quoted this offseason saying he probably won't. The Jags need help in the secondary and at defensive end. They could decide to trade up for a Prince Amukamara but I just sort of doubt it. Smith likes small school guys in the Cortez Allen or Buster Skrine mold.

Don't know if he was GM in 2008, but wasn't he in the mix when Jville traded up from 18 to 8 in the 2008 draft to select Derrick Harvey? I figure if they have a QB they like in mind, they may be willing to do the same. That team has always done things a little different from other teams.

Definitely seems more realistic to believe Jville would trade up, over a team like Miami . . . who we know wants a 2nd round pick as they don't currently have one . . . and who we know doesn't have the track record of trading up and giving away picks in the process.

Maybe if we could throw a player in the mix, and maybe that will be possible by the time the draft rolls around, but without players involved I don't see Miami being so bold. I think any trade up is gonna require their first round pick next year and I wouldn't want to part with that in a trade up scenario.

Dallas trades #9 and #40 for #15 and our 2012 first (equal to the 21st pick on the draft value point chart). Miami gets their QB at 9 and regains a 2nd round pick in the top 40. Dallas gets their OT at 15 and have 2 first round picks in 2012, giving Romo one more year to lead them and they can contemplate QB in the next draft if need be as well as any other need in round 1.

Seriously, that is the trade up scenario . . . this #15 and #79 for #9 isn't happening. It would take our 3rd, 4th and 5th atleast to get done. Miami being a team that values their mid round picks . . . couldn't see that.

With the proposed trade up:

1. Blaine Gabbert - QB
2. Mikel Leshoure - RB
3. DJ Williams - TE

Seems appropriate for the Fins with the meetings/interest they have showed.

Back
Top Bottom