Dolphins LB Zach Thomas’ numbers are Hall of Fame-worthy but his absence is a mystery | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins LB Zach Thomas’ numbers are Hall of Fame-worthy but his absence is a mystery

ZT was a great player, but covered several times above, Urlacher was better. And it didn't help that ZT's defenses consistently choked down the stretch. EVERY YEAR.

It’s true, in the biggest games ZT and that D couldn’t hold up. They got pushed around. I always remember Kevin Mawae of the Jets wiping Thomas out repeatedly when the Fins played them. Gardener and Bowens were big helps to ZTs strengths but he couldn’t overcome his lack of size against better competition.

Just because "Zach isnt in", doesn't mean "Urlacher shouldnt". Urlacher was a MONSTER, and absolutely deserves the HOF, and as much as I love Zach ... and believe me, I LOVE HIM, I miss him so much ... Urlacher clearly had the better career: 8 Pro Bowls ... 5x 1st or 2nd Team All-Pro ... got to a SB ... was 2000 DROY ... the DPOY in 2006 ... and hes on the 2000s All-Decade Team. To be fair, Urlacher's credentials are better than Zach's to be brutally honest, and it is not an injustice, travesty, or in any way "unfair" that he is in before Zach.

Now here is the good news for Zach Thomas fans that want him in the HOF (myself included):

If another MLB is to get elected to the HOF, Zach should be the next to go. His credentials are there, and are certainly worthy: 7 Pro Bowls ... 7 1st or 2nd Team All-Pros (5x First Team All-Pro - one edge that ZT has over Urlacher. ZT was voted an All-Pro more times) ... 2x LB of the year ... and he is on the 2000s All-Decade Team with Lewis and Urlacher ... And with Lewis and Urlacher going in at the same time so fast, that leaves Zach plenty of time to get in without having to compete against Lewis or Urlacher in the coming years in regards to MLBs. Now some years might be more difficult with a whole bunch of guys coming up on the ballot (2019 - Gonzalez, Bailey, Reed ... 2020 - Polomalu, Wayne ... 2021 - P. Manning, Woodson, C. Johnson) ... but Zach could get in one of these years, once the committee gets caught up, assuming they put at least 5 modern-era candidates in each year, which they pretty much do anyway.

Zach has until the year 2033 to get in as a modern-era candidate. Ill give it to year 2028 ... if he is not in by then, then honestly, I would worry about him not getting in.

Good points man. Urlacher deserved it no doubt. Hopefully in our near future we get to see #54's name called. The man is worthy. But yeah, I have no problem seeing Urlacher, and especially Lewis, going in first.

I wouldn't call it a travesty that BU got in and ZT didn't.....but Zach for sure deserves to be there. The guy overcame every single "negative" (size, speed etc) to excel at his position. Opposing O's absolutely accounted for him each and every game. We haven't had anyone managing the middle of the field like him since. He most certainly deserves to be in the HOF. What an over achiever.

I dont get how anyone could say that Brain had a better career. zach had 1720 tkls 17 ints, and 17 ff. to brians 1353 tkls, 12 ff, and 22 ints. the one thing that brian was outright better than zack is sacks. idk just looking off the stats zack is the better mlb imo.
dont get me wrong, brian deserves it with out a doubt, i just hate that bc zach wasnt a splash guy he gets no credit.

I dont get how anyone could say that Brain had a better career. zach had 1720 tkls 17 ints, and 17 ff. to brians 1353 tkls, 12 ff, and 22 ints. the one thing that brian was outright better than zack is sacks. idk just looking off the stats zack is the better mlb imo.
dont get me wrong, brian deserves it with out a doubt, i just hate that bc zach wasnt a splash guy he gets no credit.
The stats show that Thomas has a clear advantage in tackles and Urlacher has a clear advantage in sacks. Urlacher was also DPOY and a first team selection for the 2000s All-Decade team. He was also a major player on a team that won a conference championship, whereas the Dolphins defense was rarely in the playoffs at all, and when they were they were often embarrassed past the wildcard round. So I think it’s pretty easy to see why most people believe Urlacher had a better career.

I'm really hoping for the day Zach gets the call for Canton.

Once again, I'll be making the trip.

He was a great LB and has just as much 1st team all pros with Lewis and Urlacher in the same prime.

He’ll make it in, one day but he wasn’t a in your face guy or all over the place doing interviews and such.

Urlacher's career got more notoriety because throughout most of it he was the only player on their defense, make that their entire team. Thomas shared the spotlight with three other first team all-pros (Taylor, Madison, & Surtain) on defense alone.

Lance Briggs was a good player making the pro bowl
7 straight years playing with Urlacher

Speaking of defense will we ever have a defense like the
2002 with 6 pro bowlers and 3 all pro's

Back
Top Bottom