Dolphins likely cutting ties with three starting players | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins likely cutting ties with three starting players

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
According to Salguero, the Dolphins are going to release tight end Julius Thomas and linebacker Lawrence Timmons, while also rescinding right tackle Ja’Wuan James’ fifth-year option. Thomas signed a two-year $12.2 million contract with Miami after being traded from Jacksonville during last offseason. When head coach Adam Gase and the front office brought Thomas to South Florida, they were hoping he’d provide the same game-changing mismatch he gave to Peyton Manning in Denver three years ago. Unfortunately for Miami, Thomas looked lethargic and washed up all season, and he was rarely the red-zone weapon quarterback Jay Cutler desperately needed.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/1...s-lawrence-timmons-julius-thomas-jawuan-james

I'm curious as to where the starting tight end will come from. I'm good with Derby and Grey as depth, but we desperately need a starting caliber tight end who is a legit threat as a receiver. Has to be high consideration for the second round. Probably won't find a starter later, and definitely won't get any value in FA.

Dallas Godhert (sp?) Should be at the top of our wishlist in the 2nd

I thought timmons was one of our better tacklers.
Maybe he wants to be released.

TE's
If Dion Sims gets released or Nick O'Leary is released (cap reasons) I can ride with that until a legit TE can found in the 2019 draft. Rather spend 2018 draft capital on LB's

interesting to note that both Grey and Derby were QBs in college...both provide good depth, but neither are starters this team desperately needs...need to draft a young talented TE early in the draft, along with OL, DE, LB, etc etc...I like Mike Gesicki from Penn State as a good mid rounder TE, not just cause he is local either...

This article is from a couple of days ago. I hope they cut all 3 plus a few more.

Ozzy rules!!

I think Timmons pissed Gase off enough that he was using him to get through this season and then a big adios.

Didn't he get signed to a fully guaranteed contract? So, the fins don't gain anything by cutting him. I just don't see it happening.
Once he left the team that guarantee money was voided. They can cut him and not take much of a cap hit at all

Ozzy rules!!

Dallas Godhert (sp?) Should be at the top of our wishlist in the 2nd

That's what sucks about this pitiful TE class. Goedert is the type of small school prospect who could still be available in the 5th in a better class. I almost guarantee someone will reach for him this time around. Because what else is there?

I try to stay away from stuff like that. I prefer falling value.

I'd look at FA to fill the TE void. But I also think Gray should've had more opportunities after the Progeria diagnosis for Thomas ... and Derby didn't look awful ... so the need might not be as intense as it seems. Stubbornly sticking with Thomas compounded the problem if you ask me.

That's what sucks about this pitiful TE class. Goedert is the type of small school prospect who could still be available in the 5th in a better class. I almost guarantee someone will reach for him this time around. Because what else is there?

I try to stay away from stuff like that. I prefer falling value.

I'd look at FA to fill the TE void. But I also think Gray should've had more opportunities after the Progeria diagnosis for Thomas ... and Derby didn't look awful ... so the need might not be as intense as it seems. Stubbornly sticking with Thomas compounded the problem if you ask me.
Very true. The value in this draft is at DE and RB. Corners are pretty good too

Back
Top Bottom