Dolphins looking at possible first-round trades | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins looking at possible first-round trades

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Dolphins hold the No. 19 overall selection in the draft. The fact they are telling teams they are willing to listen to trade down offers from that perch is not surprising. The fact Miami is a possible buyer in a trade up scenario is somewhat surprising.
In trade down scenarios the Dolphins have had preliminary discussions with Philadelphia (No. 22), Cleveland (No. 26) and New Orleans (No. 27), among others. One source said the Dolphins have also spoken with San Francisco (No. 30), although dropping behind Carolina (No. 28) might expose the Dolphins to losing their top OT option.It makes sense.The Dolphins have a handful of players they are comfortable taking in the first round and several of those may be available later in the first round. Although no one knows the names on that list outside general manager Dennis Hickey and probably the rest of the leadership structure that includes coach Joe Philbin, executive VP Dawn Aponte and owner Stephen Ross, it is possible to speculate which players the Dolphins like and need.The team loves Tennessee offensive tackle Ja'Wuan James. The team loves Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier. LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr., USC WR Marqise Lee, Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller and Virginia offensive tackle Morgan Moses are also on the radar.Several of those players are expected to be available later in the first round and perhaps into the second round.So it stands to reason the Dolphins may be preparing to trade back in the first round and pick up an extra pick perhaps late in the second round in the case of San Francisco or sometime in the third round in most other cases. Dropping back three spots to Philadelphia's No. 22 might only yield a fourth-rounder.The idea of the Dolphins trading up in this draft is less conventional.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...underway-the-dolphins-have.html#storylink=cpy

I would trade our 19th for the Saints 27th and 58th, unless a top ten pick were to drop to us like Lewan.

I think Cleveland would make a good target. You would probably garner a 3rd in the process...and Moses and James will probably both still be there. As will maybe Lee and Shazier...possibly.

In order to increase the chances of this happening - personally I'm hoping that the QB's all drop out of the top 10 and teams either late in the 1st, i.e. Cleveland, or top of the 2nd try and move up into the 1st to nab a QB and therefore benefit from the 5th year optional aspect of 1st round contracts.

If there is a run on QB's at the top/mid of the 1st, then I think our only legitimate chance for a trade down is San Francisco.

This is the first time Ive seen them linked to Fuller. Honestly think IF he gets to 19 he will be the BPA. Unfortunately we have been put in a position where we have a massive hole at RT which puts pressure on Hickey to draft one early

Book it.

Saints trade with Dolphins to jump ahead of the Eagles for Brandin Cooks - WR, Oregon State

Saints - 1 (19)

Dolphins - 1 (27), 2 (58) OR 1 (27), 3 (91), 5 (167)

So, we got all crazy 'bout trading up for a player we didn't really need (DJordan), but can't imagine a trade-up for a potential star Tackle like Robinson or Mathews?? I'd punch the card and run to the podium!! We can get a guard later, but Albert and Mathews/Robinson?? Tanny would thrive!! Look at our 2nd and 3rd rders from last year, gimme the trade up all day!

This is the first time Ive seen them linked to Fuller. Honestly think IF he gets to 19 he will be the BPA. Unfortunately we have been put in a position where we have a massive hole at RT which puts pressure on Hickey to draft one early

I've heard the stealers are really interested in Fuller.

It sure seems like there are more trade rumors this year as compared to others.

Can someone help me understand this? He didn't cause the dysfunction of our O-Line so I don't get why pressure would be on him to try and find one early, especially in a deep draft like this one. Hickey can improve a weak position on the team or strengthen an already strong position at #19 if he wants to.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

It sure seems like there are more trade rumors this year as compared to others.

That's what happens when they extend the draft lol. Can't believe they are actually discussing extending it even further smh.

Can someone help me understand this? He didn't cause the dysfunction of our O-Line so I don't get why pressure would be on him to try and find one early, especially in a deep draft like this one. Hickey can improve a weak position on the team or strengthen an already strong position at #19 if he wants to.

If Hickey can find a starting RT and G in the later rounds then awsome.

But we all keep forgeting that Hiceky/Philbin have 1-2 years to turn this tea around or its the chopping block.

Sure, we could use upgrades at certain weak positions. But we are kidding ourselves if we dont say O-line is a hot turd at this point (apart from LT and C).

Hickey and the team need READY NOW players. Not developmental players that will take 2-3 years to fruit.

We need plug and play. And that is harder to find in the deeper rounds.

Well its certainly not his fault I agree. However, he is going to be judged on how well this team does this year. I am a BPA guy...thats my style. Id take Fuller or Shazier or several other players over one of those RT and look for a RT in the 2nd. Im not drafting though...and I can tell you this. If Hickey waits on a RT and that guy ends up getting destroyed this year and Tannehill is taking sacks from that side like we have Clabo out there again...you and I both know who the finger is going to be pointed at.

Again, I think you can trade down...pick BPA, then trade back up in the 2nd if you think there is going to be a run. I just dont see Moses and James going in the first...maybe one.

In a deep draft like this one, I'd prefer to trade back. There seems to be many good players that will be available in the top four rounds, not to mention those that fall lower. More chances to hit good players with more picks.

ehhh can't say i like the targets list...hope it's off

if miami is gonna go corner at least make it jason verrett

ehhh can't say i like the targets list...hope it's off

if miami is gonna go corner at least make it jason verrett
Not a fan of Fuller?? Thats surprising. I think Verrett is a good fit but I think Fuller is better. He's by far the best tackler in this class...and I think he is excellent in off man and zone in addition to man. He plants well...good fluid hips.

I actually like both of those guys more than Gilbert.

Back
Top Bottom