Dolphins Looking For New Grant Plan | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Looking For New Grant Plan

We don't see whether he screws up in practice or in the classroom with the team. He has a special talent and the attitude to go with it, not sure he has the smarts. It clicks with him this offseason/training camp or he's gone (and the Patriots don't like dumb players for you Pats lovers "oh god, all these crap players turn to rainbow sherbet when Belichek touches them - he's got the unicorn touch")

You don't keep guys because of what they may/may not do on other teams. You keep guys that fit your system and offer you the best chance to win. If you keep him, you better use him....and i don't mean on the outside. He is not a Stills replacement on the outside. Stills is much taller with a large catch radius, something you need when throwing deep.

Grant has electric speed and moves - nobody will deny that. But the guy has a history of drops at Texas Tech (i think 23 in 3 years) and showed similar issues in Miami year 1. Also, he may be fast, but he was not a good route runner in college in that gimmick offense and that could be holding him back now. It was also surprising to see his 3-cone to be so poor with his size and speed (27 WRs this year alone were faster, although his shuttle would have been top 5), which could feed into his trouble route issues, gearing down in/out of breaks and not being crisp. Guys his size need to be precise and get huge separation since his catch radius and room for error is incredibly small.....there is a reason why guys his size are not littered all around the NFL.

Christensen can say all he wants about it being the responsibility of the coaches to get the most out of him but Grant needs to step up and show he can make the most of his opportunities when he gets them, or else he may find himself on the cut list this year.

This guy will get his chances this year. I'd suspect that his off season work will help him and I'd like to see him make a jump to a good "gimmick" player.

I'm not sure he'll be like Hill in KC but I'd like it if he was. It would open up a lot in the offense.

The reason that LSU tape is so relevant is it's chalk full of NFL players, good ones who are high picks and/or play a lot. And Grant really whips them all.

Also a nice instance of him going up against Derrick Kindred in the open field here:

Kindred was a 4th round pick and played over 500 snaps as a rookie. He was one of my big sleepers last year where everyone else was asleep on him and had him as barely a 7th rounder, but he screamed that he had an NFL skill set. Not on this play though, lol.

If I had to say what Jakeem Grant's biggest problems are, biggest obstacles, his hands would have to be one of them, to be fair. He did drop balls in college and he dropped some in training camp. He had a habit of muffing punts and kickoffs, though that's a bit of a separate skill set. He just needs to clean it up some more. It's just amazing to me the extent to which this gets exaggerated, and the total lack of patience as if this is something that will never ever improve to any degree. Come on.

Second biggest obstacle is really I get the feeling he didn't do a great job learning the offense last year, learning the playbook. That's not talked about as much, and I see a lot of people ignoring this one in favor of ghost criticisms. But I get the feeling this was really at the center of his lack of usage in 2016. So it's something he needs to improve on a whole lot.

The reason that LSU tape is so relevant is it's chalk full of NFL players, good ones who are high picks and/or play a lot. And Grant really whips them all.

Also a nice instance of him going up against Derrick Kindred in the open field here:

Kindred was a 4th round pick and played over 500 snaps as a rookie. He was one of my big sleepers last year where everyone else was asleep on him and had him as barely a 7th rounder, but he screamed that he had an NFL skill set. Not on this play though, lol.

That tape really says it all. You have a kid with almost unlimited explosiveness who tends to try and catch some balls with his body and that leads to drops. If you can the Rock into his hands his potential to score on almost every play is there. You can break a kid of catching with their body and hopefully Grant has been working on his hands all off season.

I love the kid's potential and what he brings to the team. I know I'm rooting for him as my favorite underdog.

If he doesn't become reliable early in the year you cut him loose. We have many weapons that if he's not reliable he does more harm than good to the offense.

One of the few players I'm not sure the coaching staff used the right way. Grant honestly needs to be in the game as a receiving threat. Players like him, IMO never go from the shaky PR he currently is to something stellar. They will always scare you do death thinking they are going to muff the ball.

He should be used similar to Hill in KC.

I just hope he doesn't over think it again. The first drop punt last year was his downfall. He lowered his head and ever completely recovered. But when he does catch the ball, he has me standing on edge, because he can score at any time. I would to see him get more attempts on offense. Again, I didn't expect much from him last year as a rookie. But I think the coaches may now have a little more trust to give him more attempts, not a lot, but I do think they increase his work load.

Worth posting pretty much every time Jakeem Grant is brought up.

What a perfect video to sum up exactly what you should and shouldn't do with the guy. What he can and cannot do..I'm not sure how much of those bubble type screens you can accomplish at the NFL level.

Back
Top Bottom