Dolphins love Jared Odrick | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins love Jared Odrick

that's just it...i don't think that jared odrick will be the bpa when we pick...

and if i've got someone with the same grade at another position of need as odrick given our depth at def end i'm taking the other guy...

period

fully agreeable, a no brainer actually. We can go back to 2008 . . . we need OLB and a LT . . . OLB wasn't horrible because we had JP . . .but we had NOBODY at LT. Chris Long may have been rated higher on some peoples board, but the ranking were so close, u take the guy that fills that hole.

That is understandable. If u have Odrick rated at 12 and Rolando McClain at 14, I think its a no brainer u take McClain. But if McClain is off the board and Spikes is ranked 27th . . . but the next best player at ILB . . . u take Odrick, even tho we didn't address our biggest hole, and added to what is probably the strongest unit on the team.

fully agreeable, a no brainer actually. We can go back to 2008 . . . we need OLB and a LT . . . OLB wasn't horrible because we had JP . . .but we had NOBODY at LT. Chris Long may have been rated higher on some peoples board, but the ranking were so close, u take the guy that fills that hole.

That is understandable. If u have Odrick rated at 12 and Rolando McClain at 14, I think its a no brainer u take McClain. But if McClain is off the board and Spikes is ranked 27th . . . but the next best player at ILB . . . u take Odrick, even tho we didn't address our biggest hole, and added to what is probably the strongest unit on the team.

absolutely...

and i am firmly of the opinion that a top 15 worthy ilb, olb, wr, s NEED PLAYER will be staring us in the face at pick 12...

firmly

This thread is full of people who don't care about BPA. This is like if Gerald McCoy drops to 12, u would have people wanting to pass because he isn't a 3-4 NT.

Honestly, who cares?

If Odrick is the BPA available, u take him . . . PERIOD. U can't afford to take a lower rated guy because he fills a need over a guy who is clearly a better player at a position we have better depth at.

If this guy is the next Richard Seymour on defense . . . you would really pass him up, because he doesn't fill the biggest need? Nah man. Like CK said, Merling is doing a OLB move, and Langford is solid, but not a BEAST. McDaniel and Dotsen are fantastic rotational guys. Plus with the 3-4 taking over the NFL, teams are looking for quality DE's, so Langford may net us a 2nd/3rd . . . u get that pick, it doesn't seem as bad now.

All I'm saying is, u don't reach for Ted Ginn who probably was a late 1st round projection by many because your offense lacks a big play WR, returner and speed.

U draft Patrick Willis . . . even with Crowder, Porter, JT and Zach Thomas already on the team (And don't give me Crowder sucks because that was his 3rd year and he was consistent, a starter on alot of teams), because he is the higher rated player and gives you options.

Your point is understood, but with all due respect people with your point of view regarding drafting for need vs. BPA is always the same if this player(Odrick) turns out to be the next Seymour, the problam is you cant guarantee he will be the next Seymour.

So the argument for drafting for need is not flawed perhaps the best appraoch is draft the best player for a need, the fact is a team could draft all the next great anything and keep missing, or get fortunate and hit on a great player.

Dont let teams fool you they all draft for need, early in the draft then I believe draft either BPA or developmental type players late.

The history of the draft proves that,once Marino arrived maimi didnt draft a QB in the first rnd(if Im not mistaken they havent drafted a QB in rnd one since '83) but other teams as well the cowboys didnt draft a RB in rnd 1 during e.smiths prime.

Another perspective here is why arent we hearing from CK or any of the other "experts" no disrespect intended why isnt miami looking at the OT's in this draft certainly if you want the "best" player might the 12th best player be an OT maybe a CB, I keep hearing about that G from Idaho why isnt he being discussed here?

The reason is we as fans are thinking only in terms of needs(and teams do as well)its ok I dont have a problam with trying to build a team with the "best" player available at a need position, the Ginn vs Willis argument is weak because even if you wanted a WR Im not sure Ginn would have been the best pick at #9 either, that FO wanted Tedd Ginn period,plus the defense was coming of two strong years under Nick Saban and Dom Capers was highly regarded and the defense wasnt looked at as having a major need,unlike a poor offense that struggled with bad QB play hence the pre draft hype of Brady Quinn.

I love the work,knowledge & passion everyone has here about the dolphins & the draft but sometimes we all come of a bit highminded about our opinions(educated or not) the fact NO ONE here knows what any teams draft plans are or where they have players rated on their boards.

Every year the debate rages BPA or Need, the fact is all teams draft need first then BPA I will stick behind that point, sure a case here or there can be made otherwise but it almost always is a rare exception, another reason why its done is money a team cant have all their money tied up in one position, so you have to "settle" for the BPA at a need pos.

Jermaine Gresham, Brandon Spikes, Jared Odrick, C.J. Spiller, Jimmy Graham, Jason Pierre-Paul, Earl Thomas...that's about all I can think of. Some is public info some is not.

i love when people say someone is high on CJ Spiller. LOL. Really? Ya, unless you're blind I guess you would be.

The question was asked which players the Dolphins are talking about. Spiller is a name being tossed around in that building, according to sources.

The question was asked which players the Dolphins are talking about. Spiller is a name being tossed around in that building, according to sources.

every year a tonne of names get tossed around. when the dust all settles, those names generally go where people didnt have them going. i am curious who your sources are? a journalist? someone who actually works for the Phins? i doubt its the latter, as Parcells is notoriously secretive as to his intentions.

every year a tonne of names get tossed around. when the dust all settles, those names generally go where people didnt have them going. i am curious who your sources are? a journalist? someone who actually works for the Phins? i doubt its the latter, as Parcells is notoriously secretive as to his intentions.

Both.

Unless Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Dez Bryant, Eric Berry or C.J. Spiller are on the board, IMO Jared Odrick is as much the "best player available" as anyone else available. He's right up there with Derrick Morgan, Jason Pierre-Paul, Rolando McClain and Russell Okung...also toss in Jimmy Clausen and Sam Bradford.

Ok fine. But in that case, you just move on to need. And Odrick certainly doesn't fit that.

Wasn't CK dead on about who the Fins were looking at last season? I think I'd believe CK's sources.

Wasn't CK dead on about who the Fins were looking at last season? I think I'd believe CK's sources.

really? theres some guy on here with a sig saying he nailed more Phins draft picks than CK. its easy to throw out 6-7 names at pick 12, most of us can do that. tell me who the pick IS, at 12, one name, and then i'll believe you have legit souces to the point where i need to see you remind me constantly that you have them............................

really? theres some guy on here with a sig saying he nailed more Phins draft picks than CK. its easy to throw out 6-7 names at pick 12, most of us can do that. tell me who the pick IS, at 12, one name, and then i'll believe you have legit souces to the point where i need to see you remind me constantly that you have them............................

It's even easier to make some anonymous after-the-fact claim that you've 'nailed' X number of picks or predicted this or that with no proof.

Whatever your beef is, get over it. Obsession isn't very becoming.

i'm questioning jason pierre pauls change of direction...he looks a little stiff to me...not sure if it's stiff or that he's so raw though...

he gets in the backfield a ton and guys seem to run away from him on plays i think he should make...wierd

plus i don't know if he truly loves the game or just loves the money...i know they all love the money but i get a feeling that's the only reason he's playing football...

somethings got me spooked there

It's even easier to make some anonymous after-the-fact claim that you've 'nailed' X number of picks or predicted this or that with no proof.

Whatever your beef is, get over it. Obsession isn't very becoming.
I have no beef CK. Theres some guy on here with a sig with his mock listed, and yours, and he indeed nailed more picks than you. The bottom line is, Bill Parcells isnt stupid. He isnt goin to talk about who he really wants, so people can post this info to the public. Parcells is going to mis direct people, lie to people, and toy with people. Theres 3 people who know who the Phins will select at 12. Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano. Like I said, I appreciate your passion and hard work, but lets not get carried away...........

i'm questioning jason pierre pauls change of direction...he looks a little stiff to me...not sure if it's stiff or that he's so raw though...

he gets in the backfield a ton and guys seem to run away from him on plays i think he should make...wierd

plus i don't know if he truly loves the game or just loves the money...i know they all love the money but i get a feeling that's the only reason he's playing football...

somethings got me spooked there

Doesn't he remind you of one of those basketball players that comes out of high school having all this talent in the world but have yet to grow into or get comfortable with their physical abilities?

Like a young Dwight Howard.

Personally, the football player that the guy reminds me of is more along the lines of a Simeon Rice and that doesn't necessarily lend itself to playing a linebacker position and being able to execute the playbook from a spot that has such a variety of responsibilities and reads.

Doesn't he remind you of one of those basketball players that comes out of high school having all this talent in the world but have yet to grow into or get comfortable with their physical abilities?

Like a young Dwight Howard.

Personally, the football player that the guy reminds me of is more along the lines of a Simeon Rice and that doesn't necessarily lend itself to playing a linebacker position and being able to execute the playbook from a spot that has such a variety of responsibilities and reads.

yeah...i think you nailed it...i really do...there's something there that i don't like about trying to make the move to lb...

when he gets in the backfield he comes in so upright or something and when guys cut on him he almost becomes erect when he tries to change direction...weird...and then they're gone and he's not close to making the tackle...not even attempting to...

slimm said he kind of has a look of jevon kearse when he first came out...

he's too raw and too mechanical or something for me at pick #12...i like the dwight howard analogy though...but this has boom or bust written all over it to me...

i'm thinking 4-3 end...he sets the edge vs the run pretty well though

Back
Top Bottom