Dolphins love Jared Odrick | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins love Jared Odrick

I think Merling needs to be moved outside to linebacker.

I respect your opinion on here a lot, but I have seen many people think he should move to OLB and I don't know why. Sell me on this, because I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he is athletic enough to play SOLB. Obviously he would have to lose weight, but even at Clemson he was around 275, I just don't see it.

I respect your opinion on here a lot, but I have seen many people think he should move to OLB and I don't know why. Sell me on this, because I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he is athletic enough to play SOLB. Obviously he would have to lose weight, but even at Clemson he was around 275, I just don't see it.

Int vs Jets in 2008, Showed me alot

Jumping in on this topic for a second, regarding the value of the 12th pick for miami....its to me a tough pick.

I feel the player at 12 wont be perfect,who ever he is will come with some reservations(incuding mcclain IMO) as for the debate over Odrick or a DE later in the draft, on the surface the strenght of the defense seemed to be the DL a closer looked reveals the rush D suffered from '08 to '09, also the progress of the younger DLmen I feel didnt occur, Merling seemed to regress Langford was quite and Dotson again made very little contrabution.
So I see the reasoning for possibly drafting a DLmen at 12, however there are other areas on the defense that are more pressing.

ILB is a must this area has to be upgraded or there will continue to be poorus defense played, now the tough part, IMO you should ask if player X lets say McClain fits a need & player Y lets say Odrick fits more as an upgrade, two questions need to be asked then answered before challenging the pick as good or bad.
1-how much difference between X & Y in terms of ability and contrabution to your team?
2-what other players can you get to a-fix a need & b-ugrade a position?

To me upgrade vs fix are two different matters, as mentioned Langford,McDaniel,Merling to this point are servicable can you win with them yes, however the "need" at ILB and lesser extent OLB is to me a "fix" those positions are broken.

Thus the value must be whats the difference between getting a need(fix) or an upgrade, Im not sure at this stage miami can afford with the 12th pick to upgrade, just my point of view this should be a fix player and there are enough positions that need fixed that they can find a good/great player at that position, unless a player is a "great" cant miss prospect then drafting to upgrade is a mistake.

Reactions: MD
Yea so if he can battle guards and tackles leaning on him all game...

I think he can Jam Te and take on LT from a OLB positon and technique standpoint

I really loved him coming out of Clemson..He should have been OLB all along..I wonder if he has that abilty to get low and small tho on pass rush...But I def see a Matt Roth type guy when i see Merling

Jumping in on this topic for a second, regarding the value of the 12th pick for miami....its to me a tough pick.

I feel the player at 12 wont be perfect,who ever he is will come with some reservations(incuding mcclain IMO) as for the debate over Odrick or a DE later in the draft, on the surface the strenght of the defense seemed to be the DL a closer looked reveals the rush D suffered from '08 to '09, also the progress of the younger DLmen I feel didnt occur, Merling seemed to regress Langford was quite and Dotson again made very little contrabution.
So I see the reasoning for possibly drafting a DLmen at 12, however there are other areas on the defense that are more pressing.

ILB is a must this area has to be upgraded or there will continue to be poorus defense played, now the tough part, IMO you should ask if player X lets say McClain fits a need & player Y lets say Odrick fits more as an upgrade, two questions need to be asked then answered before challenging the pick as good or bad.
1-how much difference between X & Y in terms of ability and contrabution to your team?
2-what other players can you get to a-fix a need & b-ugrade a position?

To me upgrade vs fix are two different matters, as mentioned Langford,McDaniel,Merling to this point are servicable can you win with them yes, however the "need" at ILB and lesser extent OLB is to me a "fix" those positions are broken.

Thus the value must be whats the difference between getting a need(fix) or an upgrade, Im not sure at this stage miami can afford with the 12th pick to upgrade, just my point of view this should be a fix player and there are enough positions that need fixed that they can find a good/great player at that position, unless a player is a "great" cant miss prospect then drafting to upgrade is a mistake.

well said

I don't know, I once saw Shaun Rogers return an interception back for a 66 yard TD, but that doesn't make him a fit to move back to OLB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2vks25u-r4

Yea I understand what you mean..But if Vonnie Holliday deserved a shot at OLB I am sure Merling deserves a shot too...He was an edge guy at Clemson he never was inside playing 5 or 3 tech from what I remember...

His frame is just right IMO to play OLB..I am not sure about his Top end speed and shuttle..

You might be able to look that up from the combine...

But really has not done much as a DE for us so far so its worth a shot..

especially if they think they can get someone better at DE

I think this guy could be the NT we are looking for...VERY VERY similar to Jay Ratliff who was drafted by BP and Jeff Ireland in Dallas.

I remember reading about Odrick in all the pre-season magazines, and on all the draft sites during the season... all i kept thinking was keep an eye on this guy... he was a perfect fit for the 3-4 defense as an end and rush DT on passing downs ... after seeing many draft sites start to recognize Odrick as a possible top 15 pick... it didn't suprise me that Miami could be interested at #12 ... after reading that Merling was asked to lose 10lbs, and reading all of you thinking he going to be moving to OLB ... it again makes sense that Miami could be interested ... I like this idea ... and realize I am in the minority on Odrick at #12, but my thinking is Miami might feel that there isn't an OLB @ #12 worthy of that pick ... especially if McClain is gone as expected... after hearing how Miami had Lang, Sheffield, Coleman and Selvie take some snaps at OLB in Senior bowl practice, my gut tells me that they are thinking round 2-3 for a shot at one of these guys... knowing they have something else in mind for #12... just a theory of mine...

Yea I understand what you mean..But if Vonnie Holliday deserved a shot at OLB I am sure Merling deserves a shot too...He was an edge guy at Clemson he never was inside playing 5 or 3 tech from what I remember...

His frame is just right IMO to play OLB..I am not sure about his Top end speed and shuttle..

You might be able to look that up from the combine...

But really has not done much as a DE for us so far so its worth a shot..

especially if they think they can get someone better at DE

I think Holiday even at his age was/is more athletic than Merling. I never did like the Merling pick and while I don't expect a DE in a 3-4 to be very sexy I expect more out of what was esentially the last pick in round one in 2008.

I honestly would like to see Miami try and trade him to a team that runs a 4-3 where he can play his natural position which is SDE. I see him more of a Kevin Carter type of player. I am all for trading him and trying to get a 3rd or 4th. Or maybe involve him in some sort of trade for Boldin. Maybe Porter/Merling straight up for Boldin. AZ needs a true 3-4 DE and I think Merling has found himself 3rd or 4th on Miami's depth chart.

Merling didn't compete at the combine and didn't run a shuttle at his pro day. His 40 was 4.63, 4.73 and 4.84. I think the 4.63 might have been a freindly watch.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/story/2008/3/18/142958/771

I think Holiday even at his age was/is more athletic than Merling. I never did like the Merling pick and while I don't expect a DE in a 3-4 to be very sexy I expect more out of what was esentially the last pick in round one in 2008.

I honestly would like to see Miami try and trade him to a team that runs a 4-3 where he can play his natural position which is SDE. I see him more of a Kevin Carter type of player. I am all for trading him and trying to get a 3rd or 4th. Or maybe involve him in some sort of trade for Boldin. Maybe Porter/Merling straight up for Boldin. AZ needs a true 3-4 DE and I think Merling has found himself 3rd or 4th on Miami's depth chart.

Merling didn't compete at the combine and didn't run a shuttle at his pro day. His 40 was 4.63, 4.73 and 4.84. I think the 4.63 might have been a freindly watch.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/story/2008/3/18/142958/771

Yea I just read that as well about his 40..Not great

I understand what you mean about him playing strong side..Kinda like Michael Strahan or Justin Tuck..

But Vonnie Holliday was a strong side end first that was then moved to DT..

I feel tho that if he can lose the weight he will be athletic enough..Coming out of Clemson he was projected to go higher than he did..He fell beacuse of the sports hernia injury..

Now back then i thought he was going to be an OLB..But the needs were there for a DE and Roth was not going to hold up in the trenches since he was a converted LB to DE...

But I think Merling Can Def be that end guy..He never was a DT and really thats what DE in 34 compare to

Even if Merling is moved to SOLB, the idea of drafting Odrick to play any position other than NT is a waste. Either that or move Starks to NT with Odrick at RE, but Starks played near-perfect at RE and moving him could be a mistake. We'll have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom